Sign in to follow this  
Adrift

Bathalian: Bones vs. Metal challenge

Which one is Bones?  

298 members have voted

1. 1. There are two figures - one is Metal. One is Bones. Which figure in the pictures is the Bones miniature?

• The one on the Left.
    • The one on the Right.
    • I cannot tell.

It's too bad the detail on the Bones staff is jacked, my Bones Bethalian is like that, too.

I'm excited and scared for next month.

• Like 1

I took a risk on it and may end up throwing out anything that's human sized

Uah... Assuming you mean literally - noe! I would be willing to make a deal with you for any of them you didn't want. xD

If you mean figuratively, in the sense of tossing them into a pile for trade or resell or giveaways, feel free to carry on. xD

• Like 1

It's too bad the detail on the Bones staff is jacked, my Bones Bethalian is like that, too.

I'm excited and scared for next month.

Meh, had I noticed ahead of time, I would have just done a little green stuff and fixed the issue.

I took a risk on it and may end up throwing out anything that's human sized

Uah... Assuming you mean literally - noe! I would be willing to make a deal with you for any of them you didn't want. xD

If you mean figuratively, in the sense of tossing them into a pile for trade or resell or giveaways, feel free to carry on. xD

Ya it would be for trade or giving to people interested in trying out the hobby (it's what I do with my paints I don't care much for). I know that there will be a few at the very least as some of the smaller stuff that is already out is iffy to my taste but I love it in the larger mini forum like the purple worm.

Speaking of the purple worm, that should have been the one to do the true paint compare on as I doubt there's as much casting difference between the materials--but at the same time everyone knows that paints up well as it was the most common bones in the show off section before the ogre chieftain got the community paint.

• Like 1

The bathalian was a great test, I think because it hasn't been done a lot and it gave a chance to show great detail on a human sized figure. Sure, 3/4 of the voters guessed right, but I still chalk up the contest as a win for bones. The first race between machine and horse the machine lost, but it proved the idea was sound.

And as for bad mouthing Bones not bring kosher, I say you are perfectly within your rights to your opinions and the free and polite expression thereof, sir. I take no offense, and promise not to send buglips to your abode with stanky shoes to leave in your air ducts.

I can't paint well enough for the differences in detail on these to matter.... and I guessed wrong anyway. On the other hand, a second rate painter needs decent miniatures so the washes and drybrushing work OK. The Bones stuff blows away anything remotely close to it in price, including second-tier metals.

But mostly I want some minis my kids can play with, or at least pick up or touch, without me breaking into a cold sweat. What's always stopped me so far is that most prepaints are UGLY paint jobs on crap miniatures and often aren't all that cheap.

Bends are a bit of an issue, floppy weapons are a bit of an issue, and they don't file down nicely like metal does (the softer the metal the smoother it finishes). I think maybe I might want to base them up for weight too, as they are light enough to knock over very easily.... but that messes with the lightness and ease of transport.

• Like 1

@Bryan I know Reaper doesn't care but I do worry about forum members not liking such talk. Also my comments on the validity of the test is geared towards Adrift's thoughts that people would only look at the paint job to tell the difference and not the physical ones which is pretty much impossible to do as the physical differences are really the only way to tell. People's concerns with the material can only be delt with by getting their hands on some and deciding for themselves as its different from what's out there to such an extreme. I own two bones, and have played around with some others, and I still don't know what to think of it outside of larger things where its very stiff--like the worm.

As to Buglips arriving at my doorstep. He'll have to get past my goblin trap that's been carefully baited with Ral Partha paints.

Edited by MonkeySloth
  • Like 1

There were differences to be noted in the figs, but none of those differences would make me say that "Bones aren't up to being used on my table". I have always picked figs that make me go oooo, or I need that for my game. When Reaper announce the Bones line I was impressed. I could get a horde of kolbolds for a pitance. I even let the rest of my gaming group know about them. When I got my swag bag in the mail from ReaperCon '12 there was a Bones troll in it. It was the first thing I opened and examined. I took that to my group as well. We all looked at is and gave impressed nods at the detail. I have a big ol' pile of them coming to my house in March, a Vamp with almost all of the add ons for myself and a Vamp for my Father-in-Law.

Adrift again thank you for you side by side paint jobs, they look great.

Edited by chaosscorpion
  • Like 2

I'm not sure about other forum posters but I for one welcome the dissension and proper discussion of the material. I personally find the material fantastic at price and quality. Exactly what I'm after for something I can drop (as I'm sure to do) and give an average paint job on (as I'm not talented enough to do better) and something really cheap to practise on (to try and get better at the painting).

I definitely find metal weapons to be sharper and better than plastic ones, but I don't care enough to dislike bent weapons and in some cases I even find it helps the model. In the case of kobolds, I love bent weapons as it looks like they don't care for them enough to keep them in the proper weapon condition.

But different opinions are definitely welcome so I know how to stack them up against other miniatures when I talk about them to other people as I don't do a lot of miniaturising in general.

• Like 2

I think finding a sure-fire perfect method of reshaping the Bones weapons (assuming some come bent) will be a huge deal. There seem to be mixed results with regards to the heating and cooling method.

I didn't try to reshape or straighten the Bathalian's staff specifically b/c I liked the curved appearance for an aberration.

For weapons I would use a metal pin to stiffen. I did that on the bugbear and did not even need to heat bend and cool. For a sword I would cut a grove and put the metal in with superglue or greenstuff.

• Like 1