Sign in to follow this  
Adrift

Bathalian: Bones vs. Metal challenge

Which one is Bones?  

298 members have voted

1. 1. There are two figures - one is Metal. One is Bones. Which figure in the pictures is the Bones miniature?

• The one on the Left.
    • The one on the Right.
    • I cannot tell.

If you could pin the length of that staff, you're a better man than I. And also have longer bits :)

I did the 140F water to cold water method and the staff on my Bethalian is still pretty straight. But it's been sitting in a cold room since, wonder what the heat of summer will do to it.

If you could pin the length of that staff, you're a better man than I. And also have longer bits :)

Grab the staff in a vice like object to keep it straight, then heat up a dressmaker's pin and insert it. No drillng required. :)

I think one of the challenges to elaborate weapon straightening is that suddenly the 'ease' of buying, prepping, and painting Bones comes into question. I'm not unwilling to do it, but it might make metal enthusiasts hesitant.

Agreed. But at the same time if it's as easy as heating up a needle and pushing it in and a bit of GS that's less work then most metal prep and then you have the added bonus of the weapon not breaking. It's something I'm going to try once I get mine.

Unless the surface of the spear is heavily textured, I'd probably just clip below the spearhead and above and below the hand, then replace with brass (using the original spearhead for the new spear).

Always assuming that a simple heat, straighten, cool doesn't do the trick.

The bathalian was a great test, I think because it hasn't been done a lot and it gave a chance to show great detail on a human sized figure. Sure, 3/4 of the voters guessed right, but I still chalk up the contest as a win for bones. The first race between machine and horse the machine lost, but it proved the idea was sound.

And as for bad mouthing Bones not bring kosher, I say you are perfectly within your rights to your opinions and the free and polite expression thereof, sir. I take no offense, and promise not to send buglips to your abode with stanky shoes to leave in your air ducts.

I'd like to note that I haven't been shy about my Bones opinions, positive or negative. Overall my opinions have become overwhelmingly positive, but I'm sure I'll have some complaints/issues yet to come. Thus far issues I've found have been met with workable solutions thereafter, which is a net benefit for everybody playing with plastic.

And anyway, Monkeysloth, it's not like your opinions are of the variety usually found on the internet, such well-thought gems as "this is the most stupid thing evar", "Reaper is a horrible company and I hope they all die of ebola trots", etc.

I made those up, but y'all know what I'm getting at. Bones aren't going to fit everybody's style or tastes, and if anybody has a gripe that's grounded in sensible terms then they ought to share it. There's a difference between a legitimate issue and just bashing, and I think Reaper's eager to know about the former since it'll help improve quality of their product in the future.

I think one of the challenges to elaborate weapon straightening is that suddenly the 'ease' of buying, prepping, and painting Bones comes into question. I'm not unwilling to do it, but it might make metal enthusiasts hesitant.

This is an important caveat when anybody reads my enthusiastic appraisal of Bones. I'm willing to give them a much greater level of tolerance, a good example of which would be the skeleton spearmen. "Kinda sorta mostly straight" is good enough for me with those, but if I was only doing one of them and wanted to really, really, really do a good job on it that would drive me absolutely nuts.

Well, more nuts.

As to Buglips arriving at my doorstep. He'll have to get past my goblin trap that's been carefully baited with Ral Partha paints.

Even knowing it's a trap, I wouldn't be able to resist. And as I slowly starved to death, I would harbour no regrets.

• Like 1

This is an important caveat when anybody reads my enthusiastic appraisal of Bones. I'm willing to give them a much greater level of tolerance, a good example of which would be the skeleton spearmen. "Kinda sorta mostly straight" is good enough for me with those, but if I was only doing one of them and wanted to really, really, really do a good job on it that would drive me absolutely nuts.

Well, more nuts.

You can't DRIVE you nuts. It's a short walk.

• Like 1

So I just found this thread - missed it way back then. I guessed right, also because of the staff.

While the staff was the giveaway in these side by side photos, over all, looking at the painting, I think it would be possible to do variations of this test that would make it much harder to tell.

For example, you could have posted a picture of just one of them and asked "Is it metal or is it Bones?"

At a store setting, you could probably rotate them in and out of a display case so that only one was seen at a time, and most people wouldn't even realize you were switching back and forth between two minis - as long as they didn't see you making the switch or pick it up, that is.

Hmm - that has me thinking - two of the players in my D&D group have Reaper figs for their PCs that are part of the Vampire pledge - I think I'm going to paint them up to match their current figures and start playing switcheroo on them.

• Like 1