Sign in to follow this  
Adrift

Bathalian: Bones vs. Metal challenge

Which one is Bones?  

298 members have voted

1. 1. There are two figures - one is Metal. One is Bones. Which figure in the pictures is the Bones miniature?

• The one on the Left.
    • The one on the Right.
    • I cannot tell.

Hey now Shadow, there's nothing wrong with a bit of thread necro when its a good topic!

This mini was the first Bones mini I ever bought.

• Like 1

Especially a topic that is only 2 months old, still fairly relevant AND was linked to in Wren's superb "All about Bones" threads she posted yesterday.

It's not like I dredged up something from 2 years ago out of the blue.

• Like 4

Hey now Shadow, there's nothing wrong with a bit of thread necro when its a good topic!

This mini was the first Bones mini I ever bought.

Oh I know. i just like using that pic. Funny thing though, I've yet to bring in my thread drift pic

• Like 2

You do have a point, the image is pretty nice.

It would be cool if we could get a few more examples of this type of topic, or compile a collection of them, taking the exact same Mini and painting the Meta and the Bones version, just to see how close they are.

Someone with metal doubles need to do more of these. Great fun, and also shows just how amazingly awesome Bones are :P

• Like 2

I recently got a hold of some spare time and got to work with a couple of bones miniatures. I can see why people are dissatisfied or critical of bones.

It's different. It's very different.

And people hate things that are different. People go for the safe and the familiar.

At first glance it looked, well, not nearly as detailed as metal or plastic, because of how light penetrates the bones material and makes it look dull and flat. It was soft and very unfamiliar/strange to work with. Needless to say first impressions were disappointing.

But after getting those suckers painted, even after just applying the basecoat, they looked no different from their plastic and metal cousins. The details just popped right out. And after just the second figure, working with bones felt just as natural as working with metal.

So I applaud this thread, and threads like it, that demonstrate that bones are in no way inferior to plastic or even metal, hopefully saving people from unpleasant first impressions, especially those who have absolutely no idea what they're supposed to get beyond 'it's soft or something.'

Edited by Vortex Rikers
  • Like 3

My experience so far is that they paint up far better than they first appear; once you cut out the glaring white you can start to see the details. The details are about as good as good quality metal and don't have the tell-tale flat spots of hard plastics, so the details look more like metal cast details would, having undercuts and sharp creases.

After painting a couple the lightness of the material and its resistance to damage become very appealing features; it's actually much easier to handle and paint than metal.

They are less prone to chip and rub, they cannot be bent by dropping them or by over-stressing them during painting (which in turn is less common because they not not require as firm a grip).

They don't need the assembly and priming that hard plastics require and they glue very quickly and easily with superglue.

Removing unwanted parts (integral base for example) is quick and easy, the plastic cuts very well with a craft knife.

• Like 3

their flexibility is one of the things I love right now. I'm painting up three Michelle's and it's so nice to be able to bend the arm out of the way to paint the body. I could go buglips' route and cut the arm right off, they glue together that well, but I've yet to reach that level of frustration.

• Like 5

I actually thought the bones figure was on the left, mainly because I looked at the runic patterns at the edges and back of his robes. The one on the right just seemed to have more pronounced, sharper details on the triangular pattern, than the left one. Not sure if this is because of the picture quality, the sculpt itself, or the paintjob, probably a combination of all 3 factors.

Just comes to show I was completely stumped, I couldn't tell the difference between the two apart and had to grasp for straws.

• Like 1