• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is in-bloody-credbile! I do have to ask, because i remember you saying something about selling them in the last thread, but how much would you be charging for one of these boards? If you do make the custom bases, what would you charge for those as well? I'm dead interested in bases in this style ::D:

If you're interested in specifics feel free to shoot me a PM, but I don't want to violate the forum terms of service by promoting the boards here. Honestly I don't really know what this board would sell for, and I don't have enough material to make a new master for the play surface or cast another set at the moment anyway.

When I do finish the bases I'll definitely post them here as well, but it may be a couple of weeks before I have them put together.

• Like 1

Wow - I'm impressed.

I have a rolling pin that's got gravel and epoxy sculpting compound on it so that I can quickly texture large surfaces.

I would love to hear some specifics on how you made that rolling pin for texturing. It's a a great idea, and I think I will venture forth on making my own. It would probably be helpful if you outlined any perils, pitfalls, tips and/or tricks you had for making one, though.

Actually it's a lot simpler than that one posted, though I've definitely considered making something more specific to doing tiles. The texture roller I made is just a cheap wooden rolling pin that my wife had originally used an epoxy glue on to attach some decorative glass based gravel (from the dollar store) to as a birthday present for me. Unfortunately, the glue wasn't strong enough to hold the pieces in place, and the gravel was too sharp, cutting the foam much more and not providing a smooth transition between breaks in the surface.

So I mixed up some magic sculp (a two part modeling epoxy, much cheaper than green stuff or other variants but not as fine) and applied that over the surface of the pin, allowing some of the sharper edges to come through but not nearly as much. Once that set it was rock hard, and is very secure to the rolling pin.

This pic is just the rolling pin, it's a standard kitchen sized pin, made of wood.

image2_zps4861b64f.jpeg

And a close up of the texture...

image3_zps2d9612b1.jpeg

And a quick sample piece of foam for you folks...

image4_zps6f2881a2.jpeg

Ten seconds later with just a couple of rolls...

image5_zps32ef11df.jpeg

Once painted I think it's a pretty effective tool. It's crazy fast compared to my other methods of texturing the surface, including pressing rock into the surface or rolling a wadded up ball of tin foil around. Let me know if you've got any questions, or even ways to make the process simpler! :)

• Like 1