Any other beer nerds here?

Arachne

A friend of mine on the west coast just sent me three bottles of Pliny the Elder, and I am positively bubbling over with excitement. No way am I putting it on FB, I'll have people camping out on my porch. But, I figured I'd share here, and see if you guys are into beer, too.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooh, I've never heard of Optimator, but I really love Spaten's Oktoberfest, so I bet it's good, what kind of style is it? Pliny the Elder is one of those mythical unicorn beers, that's only available in a small area, but its reputation is ENORMOUS. I feel lucky to get a crack at it. IPAs aren't really my favorite style, I like a good Russian Imperial Stout better. A friend of mine planned a whole road trip around getting a pint of Pliny, from a taphouse three states away one time, because he heard they had a cask. I find, though, that lately the hugely hyped beers (like Brooklyn Black Ops, or Founder's KBS) are merely good. Very good. But not like "kill your mama" good.

Edit: Dopplebock! I need to find Optimator, like yesterday.

Edited by Arachne

Ooh, I've never heard of Optimator, but I really love Spaten's Oktoberfest, so I bet it's good, what kind of style is it? Pliny the Elder is one of those mythical unicorn beers, that's only available in a small area, but its reputation is ENORMOUS. I feel lucky to get a crack at it. IPAs aren't really my favorite style, I like a good Russian Imperial Stout better. A friend of mine planned a whole road trip around getting a pint of Pliny, from a taphouse three states away one time, because he heard they had a cask. I find, though, that lately the hugely hyped beers (like Brooklyn Black Ops, or Founder's KBS) are merely good. Very good. But not like "kill your mama" good.

Edit: Dopplebock! I need to find Optimator, like yesterday.

Spaten Optimator Classic German Double Bock Beer

Bottom-fermented Dark Beer “Doppel Bock” with a deep dark color and a rich roasted malt flavor.

Alcohol by volume: 7.5%

Original gravity: 18.2%

Bitterness (IBU’s): 25

Calories: 250

Carbohydrates: 50g

Most real bars have them around here and a few restaurants.

Edited by pocketcthulhu

I'm not really a beer geek, but I do love good beer. I tend to live in the dunkel/dopplebock spectrum.

Boston Brewing's dunkelweizen was pretty tasty. I usually snag some eurobeers when I head over to Marcy beverage center, Celebrator or Warsteiner Dunkel are usual subjects. Also dig a Dos Equis amber or a Negra Modelo now and again.

I also venture into hefeweizen land but I'm super picky. I've only had a couple I like, Saranac (my local brewery though Ommegang is regional) and Long Trail (where we vacation in VT) are both stellar when brewery fresh.

Lately I've begun to develop a palate for the popular hoppier pales thanks to relatives buying me mixed packs, or just getting stuff in packs because I can't find singles or cases (Sam's Dunkelweizen and Saranac's Hef are prime suspects there).

Edited by CashWiley
  • Like 1

I would have something of a meltdown faced with 300-400 beers on tap. Our local place does about 150, and after like two beers, the tap list starts looking like gibberish.

the fun part is that it's a national chain, you can get an account card that keeps track of the beers you drink. so you go up to a touch screen and pick 3 beers a visit (that's all that counts) and the waitress scans the little printout and you drink your beer. once you drink all of them they put a brass plate on the wall with your name on it.

you can see the plates up near the lights, that wasn't hard. found a pic of our local saucer.

2555435700_d42e245fb8.jpg

• Like 1

I like to think I am pretty nerdy when it comes to microbrews made here in the USA. There are so many of them that it is really hard to start listing them. I will say that I tend to shy away from any India Pale Ale (IPA) or really stout beer in general. I am stuck in the land of hell known as Oklahoma. I have such a difficult obtaining a decent microbrew those of you on a coast need to count your blessings. Of sure, I can go to a liquor store and buy a few select brands like Boulevard, Shiner, Left Hand and Mustang but those are typically just sold in the Midwest. (Those of you liking high alcohol content beers go after the Boulevard Sixth Glass. It's 10.5%. :devil:) That's ok, though. It just means that when I travel I take full advantage of the microbrews wherever I go. ::):

Wild Bill :blues:

• Like 2

I would have something of a meltdown faced with 300-400 beers on tap. Our local place does about 150, and after like two beers, the tap list starts looking like gibberish.

the fun part is that it's a national chain, you can get an account card that keeps track of the beers you drink. so you go up to a touch screen and pick 3 beers a visit (that's all that counts) and the waitress scans the little printout and you drink your beer. once you drink all of them they put a brass plate on the wall with your name on it.

you can see the plates up near the lights, that wasn't hard. found a pic of our local saucer.

Isn't that a place called Tap Out? :unsure:

I'm not super picky about beer. Mostly my taste ranges to imports because I learned, way back in my nogoodnick days, that you get a lot less of your stuff stolen if you bring something distinctive.

Maudite was good for a while, but I made it "trendy" and "cool" so other people started to bring it. That's when I switched off to Kronenbourg 1667. Then after I popularized that, I switched to Stella Artois. Now that's catching on, so the only thing left that might work is to find the filthiest, nastiest, most grotesque local beer I never see anybody drink: Jockey Club.

*shudder*

Perhaps instead it would be less of a sacrifice to merely find new companions.

• Like 2

Inarah, that's more my style of beer, the dark, barrel aged, boozy, malty beers, stouts, porters, stuff like that. I love mead too, but there's few good commercial kinds.

Buglips, my favorite "no one will ever steal this" is Ballantine. Old man beer, right in the price range of PBR and not half as hipster-trendy, AND it tastes better. It's got that faint ricey wheaty watery old-man-beer goodness, with a bit of an alcohol kick right at the finish. I have them when I need a palate cleanser between the big beers.

Edited by Arachne

Isn't that a place called Tap Out? :unsure:

might be another chain that I haven't heard of.

I like to think I am pretty nerdy when it comes to microbrews made here in the USA. There are so many of them that it is really hard to start listing them. I will say that I tend to shy away from any India Pale Ale (IPA) or really stout beer in general. I am stuck in the land of hell known as Oklahoma. I have such a difficult obtaining a decent microbrew those of you on a coast need to count your blessings. Of sure, I can go to a liquor store and buy a few select brands like Boulevard, Shiner, Left Hand and Mustang but those are typically just sold in the Midwest. (Those of you liking high alcohol content beers go after the Boulevard Sixth Glass. It's 10.5%. :devil:) That's ok, though. It just means that when I travel I take full advantage of the microbrews wherever I go. ::):

Wild Bill :blues:

Love me some shiner and boulevard, one of our local beer company's diamond bear is really good and just down the street from them we have a great pizza/music/micro brew joint.

Edited by pocketcthulhu