Any other beer nerds here?

Arachne

I also tend to like my beer low in alcohol, I don't like getting drunk :)

There was a non-alcoholic beer sold here years ago. I cannot remember the name, but it was actually good. I don't know how they did it, but it tasted like real, genuine beer. It tasted good. Haven't seen it since.

Also, I'd like to note that Coors Light is objectively horrid, and the company knows this. That's why they keep telling you to make it colder, so you can't taste it. Bud, while somewhat less horrid, is still very bland.

Anyway, any time I see somebody buying Coors (and it sells ridiculously well) that's how you know they're easily manipulated.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had the local Spanish brew here tonight, Cruzcampos. It's drinkable but not my style (also fairly cheap 1 euro a can). Ended up at O'Grady's Irish Pub (somehow I always end up at the Irish Pub where ever I am) and had a couple of pints of the black stuff. Saw a few other euro beers that they stocked. In the interest of passing on information (drinking for science!), I'll bite the bullet and work my way through he most interesting ones and report back here.

Given that I enjoyed Shock Top's End of the World brew, and I love honeycrisp apples (I've planted 2 trees in the yard), when I saw Shock Top made a honeycrisp apple wheat, I took a chance, hoping it wouldn't be too sweet. It's too sweet, but in a nice way. More like drinking apple juice. Would've loved a couple cases of this back in the band days, ladies would've loved it.

mmm...I cut my beer-drinking teeth on Guinness. I often tell people I like 'em "opaque, warm and chewy." Stouts and other dark beers have a special place in my hea--err...liver?

But I also can't wait for Reapercon, as I'll be in the land of Shiner Bock. Can't get it around here, and I'm not sure if that's a distribution issue or a "The Commonwealth knows what's best for you" issue (Pennsylvania liquor law sucks). It's also likely I'll be able to find some Fat Tire for my wife.

Pittsburgh is lucky to have The Churchhouse Brewery, a microbrewery and grill in a desanctified cathedral. The tanks are where the altar ought to be; it's one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. And Their beers are very good. We often have a mini-keg of Pious Monk Dunkel at the house.

How far are you from NJ? Because we get Shiner here, as of a few years ago. Cross the border! Great stuff. There's a bar near here that does five dollar pitchers of Shiner Bock, when they have craptacular bands playing. You'd be amazed at what one can put up with nursing a pitcher of Shiner.

Likewise, I'm jealous at some of the stuff you guys get, that NJ can't, due to distribution laws.

Ahhh. Pittsburgh is the other side of the state...and I don't own a car. A 7-8 hour drive in a rental is a bit much just for beer.

...but it is Shiner...

*calls to wife* Hey, hon? Can we rent a car this weekend?

Oh, well. :down:

• Like 2

I'm currently enjoying a fantastic traditional West Flemish red-brown ale, Duchesse de Bourgogne.

Sanael try Shiner's website. Input your zip and radius, it will give you locations near you. When I input 15201, I got two locations within 20 miles.

Or just load the wife up and come to my house for a barbecue, I'll send you home with a case of Shiner and a headache ^.^

The last Flemish I had was a Flemish Style Red. The Bruery Oude Tart. It was very...exciting. I kept having a sip, going "I hate this! It's sour! It's pickly! I want more!" I finished half the 750 ml bottle. "Gross! Pour me another!"

• Like 1

I was reading that reclined half sideways and read it as "just toad the wife up" and I've wasted five minutes trying to figure out this peculiar American slang.

You come on over too, I'll show you the meaning of toaded up.

Is that a threat, promise, or proposition?

If I go missing, they will send mounties to look for me. Okay, not the real mounties, but my cousin has a riding wolf that's only slightly mangy and can still probably make the trip.

• Like 1

I was reading that reclined half sideways and read it as "just toad the wife up" and I've wasted five minutes trying to figure out this peculiar American slang.

You come on over too, I'll show you the meaning of toaded up.

Is that a threat, promise, or proposition?

If I go missing, they will send mounties to look for me. Okay, not the real mounties, but my cousin has a riding wolf that's only slightly mangy and can still probably make the trip.

All three, and bring the mounties, cousin, and the wolf. I'll get us all wasted.

• Like 1