greyhaze

Dungeon Crawler Kraken KickStartero

According to tracking, mine has not been picked up by USPS yet. I am so anxiousfor this delivery.

Update today: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dungeoncrawler/dungeon-crawler-fantasy-miniatures/posts/1000616

Hey Folks,[/size]
We are getting reports of backers receiving damaged product.  Rest assured we care about your business and we are investigating this matter immediately.  We are frustrated by this turn of events after such a long wait, and we certainly share your disappointment as well.
Out of respect to our KS2013 backers we are postponing KS2014.
Please comment in this update if you have received damaged goods.
We hope that between us and the factory that we can come to a reasonable solution, if not, this will most definitely become a legal matter.
You will not be forgotten.
This has totally killed the party we were about to launch, we are hoping that new product will be made, we will have a delay, but ship you better quality product, but if not we intend to seek damages that will cover refunds on your pledges.
Our deepest regrets.
Sincerely, Jey & Ev.

• Like 1

Wow, seems like there must have been some real quality problems if it's causing them to postpone. If it were something minor you'd think they'd just make it right for the people with damaged product and carry on with the new project. Hopefully they it worked out, I am looking forward to the new line.

Any word on what the quality problems reported have been?  Was it just some specific models, or overall quality?  I am waiting for my product, so I'm worried how my stuff will look, but still hopeful I might get lucky and my stuff will be fine.  I feel bad for the Dungeon Crawler stuff because it seems they've been doing their best and this development must be a giant headache for their business plan.  I hope they are able to get it sorted out successfully. 

I believe the issue was not bad product at all but the product not being protected enough in shipping from the factory.  So the first backers orders to ship out were seeing damaged product.

But I am sure Jey & Ev will make it right.

I believe the issue was not bad product at all but the product not being protected enough in shipping from the factory.  So the first backers orders to ship out were seeing damaged product.

But I am sure Jey & Ev will make it right.

This is the impression I am getting as well. Stuff like bases coming loose with some damage being more severe than that.

On Plasticrypt there were reports of paint being severely scuffed as well.

That is unfortunate.

I only have PPM coming when it was a freebie. Other than that, I have a ton of unpainted coming my way on Saturday (according to tracking).

*fingers crossed my batch is intact and in decent shape*

• Like 1

It's mostly crappy glue coupled with being stuffed in to thin boxes.  The paint chipping is another issue as well, almost like they weren't primed.  We'll be discussing this as soon as possible with the project managers.

Many people don't care too much about the glue issue, as re-gluing is pretty easy, but some are really upset.

My stuff arrived yesterday. I haven't had a chance to look closely at what shape it is in, but the package was beat to hell. It literally looked like it could have been jumped on and kicked around. 

I pledged for quite a bit and need to compare to my notes to see if I am missing anything. The Kraken has a serious gap and some minis fell off bases (a couple tentacles and both painted mermaids). Also, many of the bases have a ton of flash. Not sure if it will impact use at all yet.

I will check closer sometime this weekend to see what else is damaged or missing. Overall it doesn't seem TOO bad.

My order: 

• Kraken x1 (unpainted)
  • Massive Tentacle x9 (all unpainted)
  • Mermaid x 6 (four unpainted, one KSX, and one PPM)
  • Peryton x5 (four unpainted, one KSX)
  • Skeleton x4 (all unpainted)
  • Botanimoth x1 (KSX)
  • Tons of bases in a variety of sizes

Of the above, the Kraken has a gap between the head and the body that goes from 1/16" on one side to about 3/16" on the other. I have no experience with greenstuff, but think the gap might be too thick for even that. It might be better to try and remove it from the base and reglue it. Some of the parts on the Kraken have gaps where they meet the base (about the same gap size as the body). This mini seems to be covered in a thicker version of the white paint than the others. Not sure if this will cause loss of detail during painting. See below for comments on discoloration.

Three tentacles were loose from bases upon arrival (one of which had actually been smashed so bad it fell out of the bag). All three were fairly easily reglued with some E6000 glue I had on hand. There is flash in similar spots on all nine (some slightly worse than others) and the worst places are on bases. It could be covered with some flocking or scultping or something. Many of these have discoloration (similar to what some Bones have), but that won't matter after a wash and some primer).

The mermaids - the two painted ones were loose from bases with colored plastic being left on the base. I haven't tried to reglue these yet. All have bent tridents, but I will try the boil and freeze method. The flash isn't too bad, but will require some attention for sure.

The perytons and skeletons - these seem to be the best of the bunch. Only issues seem to be glue blobs where the mini meets the base.

The botanimoth had both tentacles loose and seems to be suffering from some wear spots on the paint job.

The bases: (Vampire plus 2xSmall plus one set of the 2x1 bases)

-The ten 3x3 bases I got are in okay shape. Pretty heavy on the flash, but with some love, they will be alright

-The twenty 2x2 bases are similar quality to the ones above.

-The ten 2x1 bases are similar quality to the above.

-The 230 1x1 bases are better quality. Some need some love, but most will work fine as is.

-The twenty small bases are similar to the 1x1 bases.

Overall, while I am glad that I backed and the Kraken is massive, I think the bases have some quality control issues. I also am not really sure what to think about how to fix the Kraken. I still identify myself as a beginning painter and am at a little of a loss there.