Painting supplies?

Adrift

On the ReaperCon ad page it says to bring paint supplies and shows a picture of brushes and paints.

Just so I know what I need to bring and what not, I'm going to throw this out there so I'm sure.

I know I need to bring my own brushes.

Do I need to bring my own...

1) files for mold lines

2) glue for assembly

3) green stuff

4) primer

5) paints

6) paint tray

7) water cups

8) brush cleaner

Anything else I'm not thinking of??

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is plenty of free to use Reaper paint. So only bring non Reaper or discontinued Reaper paints that you really need to have.

Good idea to bring the rest of it though.

My favorite large storage container is a Plano Stowaway 3730 box (er, now 23730 I guess). Holds 80-90 paints easily.

I have a couple of smaller ones for brushes and smaller loads of paints and supplies.

Ron

The only no is #5, unless you want your special paints. There will be lots of Reaper to go around. And maybe #7, unless you need a special cup for water.

I use a hard sided plastic school supplies case with a handle to carry my stuff around. It is about the size of a sheet of paper and holds everything I could want except a can of spray primer. Many people do use tackle boxes. You can find a variety of storage options at the craft store or an office supply. Remember that less is more. There won't be a lot of space to spread out. And nobody ever came home from vacation and said "We should have packed more stuff".

Oh, and does anyone have any clever ways of transporting all these sorts of things? I was thinking about going out looking for a tackle box or something that would hold a lot of painting supplies all secure for mobile painting, but does anyone else have any ideas?

ArtBin Sidekick. $24, Michael's.
  • Like 1

Last year I brought a Reaper paint case filled with the colors I knew I was gonna need to finish off some figures for my games that I was gonna run. I did end up using the community pile that was near where I was sitting.

Also look at this way. How much prepping are going to do? How much painting are you gonna do? I think the best thing would do is get your figures prepped before the trip & then spend the weekend just painting. Unless of course you wanna learn better tecniques to mold line removal or what not, then set aside a raw figure & bring that.

In RCons past I've brought everything with me. Funny thing I'd end up not even using half the stuff I brought.

& yes people are more then willing to help yah out if you need something like glue or even primer. RCon is a very user-friendly con.

RM

Thanks everyone. I kind of assumed haldir, with regards to community friendliness, but don't want to come off as a total mooch. I'll definitely prep some stuff to bring and paint, but you never know what mini in the Reaper store is going to strike my immediate fancy (creativity) with a burst of inspiration.

Useful to put up a list like this, encourages planning aforethought.

Checklist for ReaperCon Green for Yes - Amber for Maybe - Red for No

0) Brushes - Definitely

1) files for mold lines - Yes

2) glue for assembly - Yes

3) green stuff - Maybe**

4) primer - No

5) paints - No

6) paint tray - Not necessarily***

7) water cups - Not necessarily***

8) brush cleaner - Depends on how nice you are to your brushes [?] water is provided.

9) needle nose pliers

10) pin vise with bits

10a) wire or paperclips for pinning

11) side cutters - Yes

12) bottle clearing pin - Yes

13) container to hold it all - Obviously****

**3a) Sculpting Tools - if converting and filling is going to get extremely involved

3b) Hobby Knife - if converting and filling is going to get extremely involved

3c) Micro cutting board - if converting and filling is going to get extremely involved

***At past reaper cons there have been foam plates and plastic cups which have been pressed into service for this. But if there is a type that you really like...then Yes.

**** I can give a favorable recommendation to these: http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/usa/

• Like 1

I would say Primer = maybe as some people use specific spray on primer (like myself) but they do (did?) have an area on the dock where you can prime

as for what to bring your stuff in, go as compact as possible, I use a nylon shooters bag and put small plastic cases for things like brushes and other tools in

Oh, and does anyone have any clever ways of transporting all these sorts of things? I was thinking about going out looking for a tackle box or something that would hold a lot of painting supplies all secure for mobile painting, but does anyone else have any ideas?

8229197640_d3d3994c44_m.jpg
ArtBin Sidekick. $24, Michael's.

Waaaah! I am drooling!

Thanks for the info, everyone!

• Like 1

When I went to Reapercon I was traveling light, as I went flying standby which meant nothing could be checked luggage wise, and allowing 2 carry ons. So I brought some paint in a ziploc baggie (you can check the airlines for precise bagsizes allowed, I can't remember off the top of my head), my brushes (in a narrow box and packed upright to keep brushes safe), my paint palette, paint jar (although those 2 could be found at the con along with paint), a large safety pin for unclogging paint bottles, and my entries packed super careful. Paintwise, I brought a few colors in case of touch ups, and also a bottle of the brush on primer, and brush on sealer (to avoid aerosol cans for carry on too). Once I got there, I think I bought a bottle of glue, a small file and an Xacto at a Walmart I found just in case. Everyone at Reapercon is also very kind and helpful too if you need something. All the classes I took which were awesome and varied from painting to sculpting provided all the materials needed for them to practice what was being taught. I wanted to take one of the airbrush classes, but I think my class schedule conflicted at the time, so not quite sure how that would work.

Container wise I saw alot of folks with Artbins and elaborate fishing tackle boxes, some stacked with their own rollers (like luggage). I guess it depends on how much you plan to bring with you.

Also Nytflyr, I don't think it will be a problem to spray outside the building for primer, I remember seeing people doing it last year.

Anyhoo :) I'm excited! Also it's always amusing to see the expressions on the xray scanners faces' at airports, I can tell they're trying to figure out what they're looking at with all those metal minis haha!

I would definitely check with the Reaper staff first before spraying anywhere outside of the designated area in the loading dock. I'm sure that they would be a bit unhappy to have primer on the sides of any of their buildings or to have one of their neighbors complain about it. I can think of a couple of areas where its probably okay but please check first.