Some chalk with your Burgundy Wine, Sir?

Spinward Bound

I'm doing some shading on my current mini with some MSP Burgundy Wine. I have it really thinned down to about 1:10 paint:water. After several passes I noticed it started to get a chalky appearance.

I used the same color as a base coat on another part of the mini with about three coats and had no problem there. It was only when I thinned it out to glaze that it started to chalk up.

What am I doing wrong and is there a way to correct it?

Thanks!

Edited by Spinward Bound

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinning with airbrush medium or acrylic medium, rather than water, has also been suggested. I am a crap painter, but I find when really (over) thinning for glazes etc., that a drop of Matte medium - the stuff with consistency of wood glue - really helps. Have to be careful with it though as it can add physical bulk back in, which presumably you don't want.

• Like 1

Thinning with airbrush medium or acrylic medium, rather than water, has also been suggested. I am a crap painter, but I find when really (over) thinning for glazes etc., that a drop of Matte medium - the stuff with consistency of wood glue - really helps. Have to be careful with it though as it can add physical bulk back in, which presumably you don't want.

That sounds really thick. The liquitex matte medium I have is the consistency of milk.

That sounds really thick. The liquitex matte medium I have is the consistency of milk.

Mine's like a thinner yogurt.

Mine's like a thinner yogurt.

I like a sharp goat cheese with my wine.

Every time i hear the word glaze i think of pottery. Can someone clearly define what exactly y'all are refering to?

A glaze is thinned down paint similar to a wash, though usually it's thinner, applied so that it doesn't pool up in the mini's recesses. Here's a link a quick forum search yielded.

edit.-- I got the link url replaced with text--woohoo.

Edited by Seer of the Pitt
  • Like 1

Every time i hear the word glaze i think of pottery. Can someone clearly define what exactly y'all are refering to?

A caveat: this is about oil painting on a big scale. In the fine arts painting world a glaze is a very thin layer of transparent paint with a darker or more intense color than what it's being laid over. Some glazes are mixed with varnish to give a shiny appearance, but (with oil paint at least) not even paint thinner is really necessary. Pure paint can be laid down and gently spread with a soft brush.

For minis it's a thin layer of transparnt paint, not runny.

As a piece of probably useless trivia, the opposite of a glaze is a scumble. A scumble is a very thin layer of translucent paint with a lighter color than what it's laid down on. It gives pearlescent and atmospheric effects and tends to make the underlying color look cooler and bluer.

• Like 3