Sign in to follow this  
CashWiley

60129: Chelaxian Infernal Binder (Ororo)

Removed light box and top light completely.

Moved model away from the backdrop.

Placed sidelights very close to model.

Changed f-stop to f4.

Changed the exposure setting? to -2 (one more click made the -2 red, which is bad?)

Raw and auto-white-balance in GIMP:

Ororo_camtest_7.JPGOroro_camtest_8.JPG

Another note: I have to zoom in to a) give me enough pixels to crop and b) so the auto-focus will see the mini and not the light or backdrop. When I crop, the size is usually between 400-600pixels (it's a 4MP camera). But for this pic, it wouldn't focus on the mini so I had to hold my hand over it while it focused and then take it away to shoot (using a 2s timer). I also moved the camera closer for this pic, maybe a foot where I normally shoot about two feet away because it seemed to focus better?

Edit 2: you can really see my dead pixel in there now :)

Edited by CashWiley
  • Like 2

In general, fill as much of the frame as you can while still being able to focus. Any pixels that are cropped are just thrown away, of course. If you can get still closer while being able to focus, that would be even more useful. (If you're not using macro mode – usually a flower icon – you should go to that mode to facilitate close focusing.)

You might be starting to lose parts of the figure to depth of field issues (see the hands). If that's the case, you might need to stop the lens down (go from f/4 to f/5.6 or f/8). Hard to tell at the low resolution here.

Generally looking very good. I can see the very nice skin tone blending you have. Excellent color choices to my mind.

• Like 2

Thanks, Nameless. You can finally see the black clothes properly :) Hair is still a bit blown out, but I don't think without a much stronger understanding of GIMP I'll be able to improve on that. I spent some time tweaking the curves and though I got the hair looking better, I couldn't improve overall on the auto-white balance.

I'm using the M mode for the camera and there is a flower icon on the HUD. But there's also the little flower icon I can click and get a square in the middle of my viewscreen that seems to be for focusing? But the screen is too small and low res for me to actual be able to use it for that purpose :(

At least we can show other camera newbs like me with old, cheap gear that decent results can come out of a bit of tweaking. I don't think I'm there yet, but Doug has (as always) been hugely helpful moving me closer to the target. Remember, my camera has half the resolution of a modern phone :)

• Like 1

higher resolution does not mean that the camera is better. Manufacturers are just using a simple marketing technique to sell more of their stuff. 10 is better than 5, 20 is better than 10... that's what majority of people think when it comes to buying stuff ::):

Canon at some stage decreased the resolution in new cameras to improve quality of the pics.

Edited by Nameless
  • Like 2

Thinking about your "before" pictures while I was shooting and teaching today, The consistently low contrast makes me think that you might be using some color profile other than sRGB.

Many cameras shoot by default in ProPhoto RGB or Adobe RGB because they have wider color gamuts than sRGB. This means that they will support printing with wide-gamut printers and can increase the ability to change exposure or white balance seamlessly, so it makes sense in many cases. Unfortunately, most (all?) browsers do not render any profile other than sRGB correctly.

Fortunately, if you're using Photoshop, it's easy to change color profiles:

1. Choose Edit>Convert to Profile from the menu.
  2. For the Destination Space, choose sRGB IEC61966-2.1 (probably, at least; there might be some other version in a different version of PS).
  3. Click OK.

(I'm pretty sure that GIMP and other editors also support this sort of color profile change, but I can't be specific about the menu choices.)

I would also look under Image>Mode to make sure that you're using 8 bits/channel. But since you're saving to JPG, that should happen automatically.

Edited by Doug Sundseth
  • Like 1

I don't have any option to convert the color profile. The only option in the drop-down (in GIMP it's Image>Mode>Convert to Color Profile) is RGB Workspace (sRGB built-in). So either my camera is putting that out or it's getting auto-converted when I open it in GIMP. There's also a rendering intent drop-down that's set to Perceptual (other options Relative Colormetric/Saturation/Absolute Colormetric) and an unchecked box for Black Point Compensation.

As far as bit depth, I don't see a setting for that. I did poke around in the manual and it says GIMP works in 8 bits per channel (in an RGB workspace).

Don't know if this helps, it's the image property window in GIMP after opening the last picture (unedited original) in the Ororo test series (top of page 3).

Ororo_imageproperties.jpg

Edited by CashWiley

If you're posting the GIMP file next to a straight-out-of-camera JPG, the color space conversion might be the reason for much of the difference in appearance.

If not, heck if I know. :unsure:

Nice new pictures. Turns out you're an even better painter than we already thought :). The limited palette colour scheme and NMM are beautiful.

• Like 1