Sign in to follow this  
Unruly

Going overboard with starting paints?

Yes, I watched that video before I bought the MSP line (yes...the line...incl HD...) I just really enjoyed working with the L2PK paints a lot. I've been moving in a glazing direction over the last few projects that just makes me chuckle at everything he says about MSP. They layer wonderfully and dry like, I dunno, normally?

I have several dozen VGC and they're decent (but were old stock when I bought them).

The only paints I have disliked were mid-90s citadel. They went on thick and shiny, it was like putting a coat of vinyl. My foray into GW (because they pushed everything out of the gaming store in Syracuse) was short-lived and ultimately killed the hobby for me. I wish I still lived near the hobby shop in Frisco that was massive with tons of stock from all over the place. Here we still have GW or Internets.

The only paints I have disliked were mid-90s citadel.

Hex pots or round pots?

Because if it's round pots then we might have to settle the issue with pistols at 50 paces. (My Coat D'Arms are the round pot formula under a new label)

ETA: Actually, it doesn't matter - because my CDA are also thick and shiny. In fact you can see the shiny on top of my worm there.

Nevertheless, I like 'em. Love 'em. Not always straight out of the pot, but those pigments are luxuriant and make most excellent mixing paints.

Edited by buglips*the*goblin

Hex pots or round pots?

Because if it's round pots then we might have to settle the issue with pistols at 50 paces. (My Coat D'Arms are the round pot formula under a new label)

Careful the first Citadel/Coat DÁrms paints were in hex pots too. And I agree Coat DÁrms is really good paint and I'm quite happy that it still available. Again GW trying to control every aspect of their business.

The early stuff was round pots, wasn't it? The monster set, and creature set, so forth. I'm sure of it.

*checks resources*

I've got a White Dwarf painting guide from 1989 that shows round pots. I think the hex pots were the mid-90's plus. Not sure if a formula change accompanied the bottle change.

I don't know what CDA's early bottles were like, I didn't find them until 2008. I just assumed since they're the same containers as the 80's to early 90's Cits that they used that bottle continuously.

ETA: Actually, when I found them - completely by accident - I immediately bought the full fantasy set.

Also, my opinion may be very biased because I loved the old-school Cits and there's a hefty serving of nostalgia travelling with those CDA paints in my collection.

anybody who likes Reaper paints just doesn't know any better because that's all they know from their local store.

Aw man, I wish! Every hobby and gaming store around here that actually sells miniature paints only seems to carry P3 and Citadel, unless I want to go buy Tamiyas from the model train guy. There's one place in the whole of greater Vancouver that I've found that actually carries Reaper, and it's a TEENY selection.

A history of Citadel Colour Paint Pots

Cylinder (Round) Pots 20ml - Coat DÁrms

Hexagonal Pots Mk II 17,5ml - Coat DÁrms

Hexagonal "Bolter" top Mk III 12.5ml - New formula perhaps new company (not sure who, I have heard rumors that it was a French Company)

Hexagonal Flip top Mk IV 12.5ml

Cylinder (Round) Flip top Mk V 12ml - What you can buy today. I believe this is also a new paint formula

And as we have mentioned Coat D'Arms still sells the original colors with the original names. I wonder if they actually owned the copyright to the names?

Some of the names are different, not sure which ones exactly since I don't have an old citadel colour list to compare to. But it's stuff like Bestial Brown became Rat Brown, Space Wolf Grey became Lupin Grey, and so on.

ETA: I think the Military and WW2 CDA range are additional colours beyond the old Cits, though these may have some crossover with P3 since the same company makes those. At some point I'm likely to wind up with all of the above, and I suppose then I'll have a clear answer. Internet swatches aren't accurate enough to tell - heck even in person it's easy to confuse Wizard Blue and Hideous Blue.

Man. You really have to applaud Reaper and Vallejo both for having the least silly names for their paints. My lovely Chestnut Brown is apparently also called Doombull Brown? The hell?

And he says VMC has double the colors, but last I checked 218 isn't double 216.

Are you sure?

I mean, it's not, but are you sure it's not?

I mean at this point we're into the goblin version of transfinites, so isn't it something like Aleph0 x 2 being Aleph0?

^_^

As far as the video? Sounds like a disgruntled former employee making [stuff] up.

I know quite a few very, very good painters. Some like Reaper, some hate it, some use it as part of their arsenal along with GW, P3, Vallejo, whatever. I have also judged painting competitions for many years. In all of that and all the painting I've done, I've never seen or heard of anything like the specific problems he's talking about. Other than that, though*....

* Yes Mrs. Lincoln, but other than that, how was the play?

• Like 2

Hex pots or round pots?

oldpaints.JPG

Also, my old favorites, the Polly S Fantasy line. We were talking a while back about why Orcs were green. There you go!

• Like 1

So I watched that video, and he certainly has some strange arguments against MSPs. However it did take 2-3 years as I recall for Reaper to hit that 216 bottle number so Vallejo definitely had more than double the colors for quite some time. And he is right there were some problems early on although I don't think it had anything to do with the amount of flow improver in the paint, but there were colors that cracked badly in the beginning. So I'm guessing that this video was made sometime in the early days of the Master Series. Since that time the line had to be reformulated because the base that Anne used was discontinued and she had to use a different base for the line. He must have been in a weird area for paint for Master series paint to be that common during that time. I can only think of four Reaper racks in the entire state of Colorado and probably darn near every hobby shop and a lot of the game stores carry Vallejo.

Anyway that video is so out of date as to be completely irrelevant at this point.

• Like 3

Also, my old favorites, the Polly S Fantasy line. We were talking a while back about why Orcs were green. There you go!

Loved Polly S Demon Deep Red as a shadow for brighter reds.

Edited by Doug Sundseth
  • Like 1

Y'know, Heisler - you got a point. The video was uploaded in 2010, and presumably was made around then - but his opinion within the video may have been out of date. He might have been soured 4-5 years earlier and never went back. I confess I hadn't considered that possibility until you mentioned it.