Experiments in Bones

I am back in town and have my test Bones in hand. Between starting Insanity and the insanity in the swim office, I haven't gotten a chance to start yet. My first test will be painting up one and then attempting to boil and reposition after painting, and should begin on Saturday. If anyone has other ideas on tests for me to try, feel free to include them below.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 1: My normal method fails miserably. Almost always I start with a wash instead of priming. As many have said, bare Bones do not take washes. Pictures to come of the failed wash. However, with a little bit of wash, the crevices do become more visible. Model is a lot lighter than metal, much easier to hold.

Day 1: My normal method fails miserably. Almost always I start with a wash instead of priming. As many have said, bare Bones do not take washes. Pictures to come of the failed wash. However, with a little bit of wash, the crevices do become more visible. Model is a lot lighter than metal, much easier to hold.

Thin the wash with flow improver or airbrush medium instead of water and it will work fine. The Bones plastic is hydrophobic so as long as you don't use water you're good. I discovered this while experimenting with ways to thin my paint for airbrushing.

• Like 1

Thin the wash with flow improver or airbrush medium instead of water and it will work fine. The Bones plastic is hydrophobic so as long as you don't use water you're good. I discovered this while experimenting with ways to thin my paint for airbrushing.

Future floor polish, if you can find any.

The Auld Grump

The Auld Grump

note that we do not endorse mixing floor polish with our paint. I am aware of one customer who was given this advice, pre-mixed Future into his entire 09956 (one set of all 216 MSP colors) and then called to demand a replacement because the product was forever ruined.

I do not reccomend non-paint additives becuase we do not test for compatibility with floor waxes, toothpastes, spackles, or other non-paint ingredients.

Curious about this, and possessing the means at hand, I tried using Future as a wash thinner on my Bones minotaur.

It doesn't work. If diluted with water, it just runs off the same. If undiluted, when it dries it's a glossy outer layer that's equally, if not more, paint repellant anyway.

• Like 1

The Auld Grump

note that we do not endorse mixing floor polish with our paint. I am aware of one customer who was given this advice, pre-mixed Future into his entire 09956 (one set of all 216 MSP colors) and then called to demand a replacement because the product was forever ruined.

I do not reccomend non-paint additives becuase we do not test for compatibility with floor waxes, toothpastes, spackles, or other non-paint ingredients.

So you're saying I *shouldn't* put the blood of a thousand unicorns into my paint?

What if I just want to kill a thousand unicorns?