Experiments in Bones

Day 1: My normal method fails miserably. Almost always I start with a wash instead of priming. As many have said, bare Bones do not take washes. Pictures to come of the failed wash. However, with a little bit of wash, the crevices do become more visible. Model is a lot lighter than metal, much easier to hold.

Thin the wash with flow improver or airbrush medium instead of water and it will work fine. The Bones plastic is hydrophobic so as long as you don't use water you're good. I discovered this while experimenting with ways to thin my paint for airbrushing.

Future floor polish, if you can find any.

The Auld Grump

note that we do not endorse mixing floor polish with our paint. I am aware of one customer who was given this advice, pre-mixed Future into his entire 09956 (one set of all 216 MSP colors) and then called to demand a replacement because the product was forever ruined.

I do not reccomend non-paint additives becuase we do not test for compatibility with floor waxes, toothpastes, spackles, or other non-paint ingredients.

Hmm, I was thinking of a smaller scale than a whole bottle of paint.

I have used Reaper paints in a Future dip, and it worked fine, though to be more accurate it was your brown ink.

The Auld Grump

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My memory sometimes isn't so good, and since I use future for some stuff I've been stuck here wondering if I was the one who gave the bad advice. I mean, I don't think I did . . . but I don't know that I didn't. I hope I didn't.

Maybe I need a disclaimer or something. Or not, because as it has been so eloquently put: "Who listens to a goblin on the internet anyways?"

• Like 1

FWIW, according to the MSDS, Future is only plasticizer, solvent, acrylic, and water. It's inexpensive gloss medium, nothing more or less. In the absence of evidence, there would be no reason to suspect it would interact poorly with any brand of acrylic paint.

It seems we have evidence that Future can play badly with RMS when you mix it with an entire paint set. Mixing anything with an entire set of paint is -- unlikely to be an optimal choice, of course. I haven't heard of any problems with other paint brands when Future is used correctly. (Note that you can screw things up pretty badly if you use any paint additive incorrectly, including the additives with Reaper Master Series labels.)

note that we do not endorse mixing floor polish with our paint. I am aware of one customer who was given this advice, pre-mixed Future into his entire 09956 (one set of all 216 MSP colors) and then called to demand a replacement because the product was forever ruined.

I do not reccomend non-paint additives becuase we do not test for compatibility with floor waxes, toothpastes, spackles, or other non-paint ingredients.

... I'm just amazed that he ruined an entire set (not bothering to even test his paint beforehand to make sure that this was *good* advice), then had the gall to call and demand a replacement.

Yeesh.

• Like 1

... I'm just amazed that he ruined an entire set (not bothering to even test his paint beforehand to make sure that this was *good* advice), then had the gall to call and demand a replacement.

Yeesh.

We were kind of amazed, too. Add to it that he blamed our product for being "defective*".

We felt that this was not our problem and did not want to replace a $700 product due to what we believe to be user deliberate misuse of product.

In the end, our two worldviews were incompatible and we parted ways on not very friendly terms.

As an experiment, I've added diluted Liquitex brand flow improver (about 10:1 water to flow-aid) directly to some of my MSP paint bottles, ones that were thicker than average for MSPs. It has had no noticeable effect on the paints, other than to thin them just like water would.

Since I did that some years ago, I've gone back to using just distilled water in the bottles when needed and adding my regular water or additive mix on the palette. I've never tried or felt the need to try Future as an additive. Matte medium, MSP brush-on sealer and flow improver are the only things I've used successfully.