Basing all those Bones Kickstarters

Thrym

Hydrostone, I think I used. It's a proper casting plaster, like dental plaster not PoP. It's tough as nails. You really have to work to break it or chip it. It is obviously not as tough as Bones or typical commercial plastic, but I expect it would mercilessly destroy resin bases of the same size. Or maybe be just as good, depending on how much hyperbole you like.

EDIT: this stuff takes paint and glue and works like a charm, I wouldn't recommend plain Plaster of Paris.

Just don't soak it in vinegar.... ::P:

The Auld Grump, why you would be dipping it in vinegar, I don't know. But don't.

it tastes good in vinegar

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use 1 inch galvanized steel washers from the hardware store. Cheap (less than 20 cents each), and adds a little weight at the bottom of the figure. Plus, painted black they match up with the WotC and Pathfinder miniatures' bases.

That's what I am going to be doing. My father has a ton of unused washers in his garage. Going to be borrowing those. :)

I just have a crapload of round and square bases taken off figures I've sent to be melted at previous R'cons, plus the various resin display base packs I've been buying on ebay over the years. Before GW stopped making them, I bought one of their big bags of round bases and one of square bases. And if that fails me, I have a box of >100 washers on hand.

I also recommend Litko for bulk bases: http://www.litko.net/products/Circular-Miniature-Bases%3A-25-mm.html

Hmmm. Thread jacked. *grabs the bull by the horns*

According to Amazon, the bases are on schedule to arrive tomorrow. I'll take some pics when I get home from work. I unpacked and cleaned Garrick the Bold so I can try him out with one.

I think I will also unpack Barnabas and do a straight super glue with one of them and pin and glue the second one. And then see how they hold up to some "clumsy" handling.

The majority of my Bones KS are going to be tabletop paint jobs at best. And the gang around here likes to knock over the dead with vigor, so multiple coats of Dullcote and sturdier assembly will be required.

You might be surprised by how little Dullcote you need, Thrym. My painted Bones have been riding around in a Ziploc for a while now, grinding merrily on each other and getting tossed hither and yon, bang and bump, and I have yet to see any damage on them. Unless your players like to smash the dead with hammers to announce their victories, I think your Bones will hold up well.

You might be surprised by how little Dullcote you need, Thrym. My painted Bones have been riding around in a Ziploc for a while now, grinding merrily on each other and getting tossed hither and yon, bang and bump, and I have yet to see any damage on them. Unless your players like to smash the dead with hammers to announce their victories, I think your Bones will hold up well.

Failed my will save

Once I have painted my poor tailless and SUV run-over werewolf, I will not only run him over again to see how he stands up, but then I will take a hammer to him and see what happens.

• Like 2

Failed my will save

Once I have painted my poor tailless and SUV run-over werewolf, I will not only run him over again to see how he stands up, but then I will take a hammer to him and see what happens.

I feel so sorry for that poor werewolf, and yet I await the results with bated breath. He may be the beast, but I must be the monster.

• Like 2

What about these? Not much of a hole to worry about, and you get 100 for a little over $10 (and I have Amazon Prime so shipping is not a problem). I have not based a model in about 18 years....what do ya'll think?

Paint chips crazy easy with these. I use them to keep my Gaunts from tipping over. Honestly I think I was better off using nickles.

I would keep my eyes peeled. I'm sure someone will do a Bones base package deal in March.