I Failed My Saving Throw vs Cone of Cold

Spinward Bound

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't risk another mini to frosting of spray on varnish. Hours of work ruined in seconds.

I have been very happy with Liquitex matte varnish. 8 oz bottle for $12.99 at Hobby Lobby (which comes out to about $8 with the 40% off one item coupon). Brushes on easily and gives you the control to decide which parts of your mini are matted. It dries slow enough that if you slop on too much initially you just dab it off with your brush. I haven't ruined a mini with it yet and there is almost no waste. I have done in excess of 80 minis with it and have only used less than 1 oz of the stuff. I also have a can of Minwax Polycrylic clear gloss which I started using to seal (brushed on) on the last too minis I have worked and then followed that with the Liquitex matte varnish. If the Minwax is tough enough for floors, I am confident it will protect my minis. On the barbarian, the axe and parts of the armor is showing the gloss of the minwax clear gloss, while the rest of the mini has been matted with the Liquitex. The nymph has been fully treated with both (except for the "realistic water" at her feet)

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/47570-02924-bertok-the-anabolic/

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/47618-p02741a-she-hulk-pinup-aka-nymph-from-ltpk4/

post-6758-0-74117800-1360532150_thumb.jppost-6758-0-65923600-1360802956_thumb.jp

Edited by badocter

This also happens if you over shake the can, or under shake the can, or the moon is in the wrong phase. I've done this more than once and the minis ended up in the dip ultimately. Despite efforts to save them, it didn't quite work out. I've since switched to brush on sealer and I've not had a problem since.

• Like 1

Generally people recommend a gloss coat first if its a gaming model.

I only had a problem with Testor's when I failed to shake the can at all! Do very light coats and consider a quick test before each use; a good rule for aerosol cans anyway. Also comes in brush-on. Personally I find you have to be careful with any aerosol and if you are they rarely fail. Biggest problem is indoor use. Repeated exposure in an enclosed environment is a very bad idea.

Brush on sealer can bubble and cloud if you work too fast, so it's no magic cure. I find it a bit slow, but am convinced - for no real reason - that brush on gloss is more protective. It's certainly cheaper.

Although Future and similar floor waxes are so runny they probably won't bubble or frost, ever, most people don't sue them on display pieces. I think it knocks a tiny bit of intensity out of the colours beneath but that might be all in my addled head. Cheap and very forgiving but I prefer craft brand gloss for that job.

Also, I think "enamel" is incorrect and Dullcote is always a lacquer. Product number is 1260, so that second can is the same gear.

• Like 1

I've been very happy with the Army Painter Matt Varnish.

http://store.miniwargaming.com/product/army-painter-base-primer-anti-shine-matt-varnish.html

For example (happens to be on sale this week).

I've mostly used it over Quickshaded figures but it is very matt, and I've had zero issue with it. Used it in the fall in the garage, and over the winter down in the basement.

I spray into a box with the fig in it. I always give the cardboard a shot first to make sure everything looks ok with the spray. And always use thin coats. Just dust it the first coat, then see how it looks and give it a second coat to take off any shine I see left.

Now spray primers on the other hand, give me nothing but trouble...

• Like 1

Army Painter spray on matte varnish can have issues too as I ruined several minis with it before giving up with it. As others have said, environment is a factor and there is nothing I can do to change the humidity in southeast Texas regardless of how good the contents of the can are.

Touch wood, I've never had problems with spray on sealer but the UK tends to be that right level of cool and moist for it to work.

I did know someone have a miniature completely ruined at the sealing phase because it came out like a thick grey paint. Of course it turned out he'd used primer, no idea what he thought it was.

• Like 1

Army Painter spray on matte varnish can have issues too as I ruined several minis with it before giving up with it. As others have said, environment is a factor and there is nothing I can do to change the humidity in southeast Texas regardless of how good the contents of the can are.

We had a fairly dry fall (up until the epic downpours came...I hope they replace the bridge down the road soon) and a really cold (so dry) winter. So that may be helping. And with a Quickshaded (or gloss sealed) figure, you should be able to remove the dull coat somehow if it does go wrong, shouldn't you?

Think I'll add some brush on matt sealer to my list for next time I'm shopping though, just in case....

The same thing happened to me, I then sprayed the minis with a gloss coat when humidity dropped and they cleared up nicely. I am a heretic and use Krylon's Chrystal Clear Gloss and Matte. (I spray the gloss in almost any weather, 15F to 95F without issue. I save the Matte for days with lower humidity. Cold days are good as the humidity in the house is low. When it is cold or humid, I spray outside and the put them in a well ventilated bathroom.)

The same thing happened to me, I then sprayed the minis with a gloss coat when humidity dropped and they cleared up nicely. I am a heretic and use Krylon's Chrystal Clear Gloss and Matte. (I spray the gloss in almost any weather, 15F to 95F without issue. I save the Matte for days with lower humidity. Cold days are good as the humidity in the house is low. When it is cold or humid, I spray outside and the put them in a well ventilated bathroom.)

That's good news, maybe there's still a chance at salvaging dwarf girl.