Sign in to follow this  
Hellbeard

Sci Fi Gentleman

I sculpted this guy quickly as an attempt to impress a particular company. They were not impressed but I think he came out pretty cool. :(

The scale is 1:52.

5PveCPH.jpg

gRZH4QK.jpg

zFD5ltw.jpg

kqbfPWK.jpg

zekPYhr.jpg

lvADSyE.jpg

• Like 6

I like your work! I think you need to work on further refining the fine detail, but it looks real good and has excellent character, good pose, nice sense of balance about it. I would certainly buy this level of quality for wargaming. I reckon Pig Iron's (presumably) immensely popular first run of heavy infantry were of a lower standard.

Thank you, sir. I think my main issue is, even though I have a clear line of progression from here to a more professional level of sculpting, I am completely lost as how to leverage my skill. I'm trying several approaches but nothing seems to stick. My current plan is to keep banging my head against a wall but I doubt it'll be effective.

Well, I guess you need a moldmaker and someone who will contract-cast, then you work up a squad of well-themed guys, then you kickstart it? THEN KAPOW RICHES AND GLORY!!!!

OK then, sounds like a solid plan.

It can take time to turn a hobby into a career, or even just alternate income. I've got a lot of friends that are published authors, traditional sense not ebook only, and it took many of them years of constantly working to get to the point where they sold a book. The lesson really is don't give up, continue to improve your craft and you'll succeed. Keep on trying to impress companies as the people may end up remembering you and seeing the progress you've made could stick with them and impress them even more in the long run.

You've also got great advice coming in from two sculptors that more then likely went through the same thing you're going through right now.

• Like 1

Wow! I wish I could manage this level of detail. This guy looks like he'd make for a good post-apoc scavenger. Something looks a bit off about the left leg at the angle from the first two pictures -- the way the lower shin is bent, I think, below the knee -- but I bet that could be easily salvaged if you stuck a thicker knee-guard on him to obfuscate any underlying structure. (Plus, post-apoc scavengers can ALWAYS use asymmetrical over-sized shoulder-and-knee protection!)

How tall is this figure to the top of the head, and to eye level (as measured from base of feet)? If this guy was about Chronoscope-sized, and priced comparatively, I'd definitely snatch it up. I could see myself using him for "Deadlands: Hell on Earth" (post-apoc with supernatural elements and some "lost" high tech mixed in) or for "Interface Zero" (cyberpunk/sci-fi).

It can take time to turn a hobby into a career, or even just alternate income. I've got a lot of friends that are published authors, traditional sense not ebook only, and it took many of them years of constantly working to get to the point where they sold a book. The lesson really is don't give up, continue to improve your craft and you'll succeed. Keep on trying to impress companies as the people may end up remembering you and seeing the progress you've made could stick with them and impress them even more in the long run.

You've also got great advice coming in from two sculptors that more then likely went through the same thing you're going through right now.

Thanks for the advice. I get discouraged sometimes but having been trying to make a career out of art for a few years now it is important to me that sometimes I just need to be reminded to be persistent. As the saying goes "never give up, never surrender". I'll keep at it.

The advice and encouragement I get from you and the other members is indeed very valuable to me and I doubt I would have gotten this far without it.

Ugh, stop being so awesome! I mean seriously, he's cool! Just stop it!

Or keep on doing it so I can buy one ::):

Thank you, sir! I think the next one will sure to be at least twice as awesomer as this one.

Wow! I wish I could manage this level of detail. This guy looks like he'd make for a good post-apoc scavenger. Something looks a bit off about the left leg at the angle from the first two pictures -- the way the lower shin is bent, I think, below the knee -- but I bet that could be easily salvaged if you stuck a thicker knee-guard on him to obfuscate any underlying structure. (Plus, post-apoc scavengers can ALWAYS use asymmetrical over-sized shoulder-and-knee protection!)

How tall is this figure to the top of the head, and to eye level (as measured from base of feet)? If this guy was about Chronoscope-sized, and priced comparatively, I'd definitely snatch it up. I could see myself using him for "Deadlands: Hell on Earth" (post-apoc with supernatural elements and some "lost" high tech mixed in) or for "Interface Zero" (cyberpunk/sci-fi).

Thank you. I see your concern about the lower left leg. It is a little bent, I suppose. I intended it to convey a dynamic pose but I guess I overdid it a bit.

The height is 34mm if he were standing upright or 32mm from soles to eyes. The scale is therefor 1:52. I hope to improve my detail level. It takes patience.

are those horns or antennae ?

Supposed to be information jacks or cyber whatevers. I should have spend more time on them. Lessons learned as it were.

I just need to be reminded to be persistent. As the saying goes "never give up, never surrender". I'll keep at it.

Ugh, stop being so awesome! I mean seriously, he's cool! Just stop it!

Or keep on doing it so I can buy one ::):

Thank you, sir! I think the next one will sure to be at least twice as awesomer as this one.

It also goes "Practice makes perfect." which is what I keep telling myself.

And I prefer Missus or m'lady, or some iteration of feminity ::):

Sometimes there are ways to make money while still retaining enough time and freedom to pursue your art. This can mean that while you get less days / week to work on art, you get many more years to make it work as a career. Depends on your age, and other factors. Don't read this as discouraging, read it as an alternative strategy, should such be required.

Edited by smokingwreckage

It also goes "Practice makes perfect." which is what I keep telling myself.

And I prefer Missus or m'lady, or some iteration of feminity ::):

Sorry! Excuse me, M'lady.

Sometimes there are ways to make money while still retaining enough time and freedom to pursue your art. This can mean that while you get less days / week to work on art, you get many more years to make it work as a career. Depends on your age, and other factors. Don't read this as discouraging, read it as an alternative strategy, should such be required.

Sounds good. What are they?