so, when does shipping start?

Bonwirn

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kay, that organization (and recycling) sounds awesome, and is very admirable.

Cheers to you for not only having more restraint in your past purchases than I have personally mustered, but also an excellent way to keep things sorted.

I have no way right now to be able to tell people what colors I used. I tend to grab something close to what I need, throw it on the brush and palette, mix it with other stuff until it's right and then paint it on. It would be helpful to people to be able to tell them exactly what I have used.

That's one of the main reasons why I catalog them. Plus I make notes on the cards when I paint them as to which paints/colors/blends I use on them. Since I normally only get a few at a time I photograph them with the card and then print out the picture and glue it to the card. They are organized by number. I write the number on the bottom of the fig with a sharpie.

This way, if someone comes along and likes a fig I can easily tell them which one it is or if I want more of it I can easily order it. It also helps me from ordering unnecessary duplicates. Additionally, if I like a color scheme for a particular "set" I am working on building I can check the card to see what colors I used and I can get blends to be close, if not an exact match, even if I paint something new months later.

Since I'm getting 1,000 or so figs from the KS I was really counting on having the cards. I've printed out several copies of the KS page showing all the minis and had planned on just cutting out the pictures and gluing them to their cards to make it easy.

Wow, I wish I was that organized. I tried doing something similar all electronically (except the labeling the bottoms of the figures part...hmmm, rfid tags....) but need to convert it over to a real database if I ever want to store pictures....

Funny that you mention RFID tags

We looked into adding RFID to our packaging, and using a RFID based order processing system, where we could fill a box, scan the entire box at once for order verification, and ship it.

Right now, it's cost prohibitive for Bones., and we can;t figure out how to a a RFID to a paint bottle without immersing it....

RFID labels are available on the market. Perhaps that could be incorporated into the labels on the bottles??

That's one of the main reasons why I catalog them. Plus I make notes on the cards when I paint them as to which paints/colors/blends I use on them. Since I normally only get a few at a time I photograph them with the card and then print out the picture and glue it to the card. They are organized by number. I write the number on the bottom of the fig with a sharpie.

This way, if someone comes along and likes a fig I can easily tell them which one it is or if I want more of it I can easily order it. It also helps me from ordering unnecessary duplicates. Additionally, if I like a color scheme for a particular "set" I am working on building I can check the card to see what colors I used and I can get blends to be close, if not an exact match, even if I paint something new months later.

Since I'm getting 1,000 or so figs from the KS I was really counting on having the cards. I've printed out several copies of the KS page showing all the minis and had planned on just cutting out the pictures and gluing them to their cards to make it easy.

Wow, I wish I was that organized. I tried doing something similar all electronically (except the labeling the bottoms of the figures part...hmmm, rfid tags....) but need to convert it over to a real database if I ever want to store pictures....

When you only do a few at a time - think my biggest order in the past has been 20 or so- it doesn't take much time at all to keep up with it. Facing doing it with this many is daunting.

Kay, buy some cardstock, cut the cardstock to the right size (or pay a copy place to do it for you), follow your normal process from there on. Personally I am nerdy enough to track our mini collection in an access database.

I will be using index cards that fit into the box, saves some effort. But I really am OCD and like everything to match. I know me and having some on blister cards and some on index cards is going to cause me stress because it won't be uniform. I know I should get over it, but that's easier said than done.

I will be using index cards that fit into the box, saves some effort. But I really am OCD and like everything to match. I know me and having some on blister cards and some on index cards is going to cause me stress because it won't be uniform. I know I should get over it, but that's easier said than done.

I suppose someone should ask: Are you not at some point going to remove them from the package anyway? I take it you just like to keep them all packaged up until you begin work on them, or does your place look somewhere between a store and trophy rack?

Funny that you mention RFID tags

We looked into adding RFID to our packaging, and using a RFID based order processing system, where we could fill a box, scan the entire box at once for order verification, and ship it.

Right now, it's cost prohibitive for Bones., and we can;t figure out how to a a RFID to a paint bottle without immersing it....

RFID labels are available on the market. Perhaps that could be incorporated into the labels on the bottles??

>

When you only do a few at a time - think my biggest order in the past has been 20 or so- it doesn't take much time at all to keep up with it. Facing doing it with this many is daunting.

Kay, buy some cardstock, cut the cardstock to the right size (or pay a copy place to do it for you), follow your normal process from there on. Personally I am nerdy enough to track our mini collection in an access database.

You may want to get the new Casketworks catalog when it is released (Soon™). It should have all the new Bones (with a typo on page 2 of the Bones, apparently, of which Reaper is aware), complete with SKU and pictures.

Maybe cut out and tape those to an index card?

• Like 1

Kay, that organization (and recycling) sounds awesome, and is very admirable.

Cheers to you for not only having more restraint in your past purchases than I have personally mustered, but also an excellent way to keep things sorted.

I have no way right now to be able to tell people what colors I used. I tend to grab something close to what I need, throw it on the brush and palette, mix it with other stuff until it's right and then paint it on. It would be helpful to people to be able to tell them exactly what I have used.

Thank you, sometimes being OCD is difficult, but usually it's helpful to be overly organized. I keep our holiday decorations in a spreadsheet with all the boxes labeled- so that when I want just one thing I can tell the kids which box it is in so we don't have to dig through all of them. They hate me less this way. :rolleyes: This is especially helpful when it comes to the Halloween decorations because we have 28 very large tote boxes plus a lot of stuff that won't fit into boxes.

With all the volunteer work I do, plus 4 kids & too many pets (at one point due to rescue work I was doing we had over 100 animals at once)- I have found that I HAVE to be overly organized or else I am stressed. I hate not being able to find things when I need them. Spending an hour looking for a lost whatever is not my idea of a fun way to spend my limited time. Organize it from the start and it saves time in the long run- at least for me.

It's not so much self imposed personal restraint as it is limited financial restraint. When I had the money I spent it on minis and now I am faced with this problem regarding 1,000 minis. :huh:

If that's working for you then stick with it. If what you are doing isn't a problem for you then there is no need or reason to do anything different. What I do works for me so I'll stick with it. When it doesn't work I'll change it. But whatever you do, don't compare your system with mine- I'm abnormal.

• Like 1

I suppose someone should ask: Are you not at some point going to remove them from the package anyway? I take it you just like to keep them all packaged up until you begin work on them, or does your place look somewhere between a store and trophy rack?

Yes, I keep them in their package until I start to work on them. But I keep the cards once they are removed from their packaging and file them according to number. I have a photo of the mini on the card with notes about what I have it painted with (colors/blends/etc.) I put the number on the bottom of it with a sharpie.

If I could find wall space to put enough peg board I would hang the blisters until I paint them. That would be wonderful! As it is I keep them in several boxes until I start to work on them. Then they go on shelves, in baskets with other minis that I am painting together and the paints that I am using- or a note of paints I am using with them if I am using those same paints on figs in other baskets.

Perhaps this is an opportunity to go digital instead? Use your influx of Bones as a start of a new, paperless organization system. You were having to print out and affix pictures to the cards before; start a database instead. Then you'll even be able to sort by SKU, name, or even the paint colors you used. All the info can be copy-pasted from Reaper's website (at one point, Kit even had the ability to export stuff as TSV from the store for easy import into Excel and other similar programs).

Just a thought.

~v

• Like 1

Perhaps this is an opportunity to go digital instead? Use your influx of Bones as a start of a new, paperless organization system. You were having to print out and affix pictures to the cards before; start a database instead. Then you'll even be able to sort by SKU, name, or even the paint colors you used. All the info can be copy-pasted from Reaper's website (at one point, Kit even had the ability to export stuff as TSV from the store for easy import into Excel and other similar programs).

Just a thought.

~v

A thought I have considered in the past, but I haven't figured out how to easily put pictures with that. Perhaps I'm just not using the right software for this application. But I (normally) get the cards whenever I get minis, so doing it this way has worked quite well for me. This just threw me a curve ball that I wasn't expecting.

For what it's worth... I also have all my various paints cataloged, all my cross stitch threads, office supplies, and my many thousands of beads are cataloged in 3 ring binders. My liquor cabinet is cataloged digitally and kept on my phone, tablet & both computers.

• Like 1

If I could find wall space to put enough peg board I would hang the blisters until I paint them. That would be wonderful! As it is I keep them in several boxes until I start to work on them. Then they go on shelves, in baskets with other minis that I am painting together and the paints that I am using- or a note of paints I am using with them if I am using those same paints on figs in other baskets.

I have a wire peg rack I got from a retail store that closed a long time ago. It is 5' by 4' and comes with a ton of pegs to hang on it.

The rack is free standing and will be pulled from storage shortly and serve as the sorting rack for my influx of Bones.

I suggest visiting some closing retail stores near you or hitting up second hand shops and the like.

The peg board option is available of course without a wall. Simply build a free standing frame with peg board. 1x2 inch boards work. Cut two 5 or 6 feet uprights. Two 2 feet crossbars for feet/stability. Then two more for the finished frame. Either cut a channel for the peg board or frame it with molding. Voila. That make it double sided as well. :)

Kay, once you use a database that is capable of storing pictures (not a spreadsheet), the creating a variety of reports ro go on your phone will make tour life easier when shopping at the FLGS. I keep the minis and paints on my phone so that all I have to do is loom and I knowif I should buy or not.

• Like 1