so, when does shipping start?

Bonwirn

It would be nice to get a weekly-ish update on the shipping progress. I saw something mentioned in the KS comments by one of the reaper folks about the possibility of a ticker on the front page showing the shipping progress, which would be cool.

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the bones that were included as part of the initial KS offering were ALREADY AVAILABLE to retailers.

There's been some confusion on this. Partly, this is because, as mentioned, some of the models (undead horde and dungeon attack) were pre-existing. The other part is that some retailers were given early samples at GAMA. These aren't blistered. These aren't intended for resale. They were just samples to show them what's going to be available, and get people more excited about the Bones. Not, "Here, go and sell before we give them to our kickstarter people," but "Here, show these to your customers so they'll be nice and excited when they actually go to retail."

Some of the bones that were included as part of the initial KS offering were ALREADY AVAILABLE to retailers.

There's been some confusion on this. Partly, this is because, as mentioned, some of the models (undead horde and dungeon attack) were pre-existing. The other part is that some retailers were given early samples at GAMA. These aren't blistered. These aren't intended for resale. They were just samples to show them what's going to be available, and get people more excited about the Bones. Not, "Here, go and sell before we give them to our kickstarter people," but "Here, show these to your customers so they'll be nice and excited when they actually go to retail."

I noticed a shop that was selling Reaper Sample paints. Same price as regular paints. o.0

I can see now that Reapercon 2013 is a lie, it's just bait that Reaperbryan, Ron, and Kit have dangled in front of our noses in order to more easily conscript masses for the mailing of the bones. When we get there we will be shackled to a table loaded with boxes, while Reaperbryan and all his accomplices sit and take their leisure, laughing while we toil away so that Canadian goblins can get their shipments.

At PAX, I asked Shannon whether we could earn "Reaper Bucks" by packing Bones orders during the con.

She didn't say yes, but you never know... :devil:

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 1

Official updates from Reaper have been sent out through this whole process. Nothing has been hidden or kept secret and they put out the "nothing will be done during the Con" a while ago.

Note that the only 'push' information is the backer updates themselves, and not the comments or anything else at Kickstarter.

Picking on one particular fact: the interaction with ReaperCon was not named until Update #89 on March 28, and I can't recall seeing it in any comments on Kickstarter before then either. If someone is not familiar with ReaperCon, they might not know that it physically occurs in the warehouse space, and even if they were aware of that they might not know that it also means that shipping will be unable to continue in the new north(?) wing.

I can't find any reference to the prioritization by complexity in updates before Update #89, although that was in the comments for at least a few weeks prior. Unless you were actively looking for this information (by reading comments at Kickstarter or here or elsewhere), you would not have known of this until yesterday.

The "begin in late March, take several weeks" information was first in Update #85 (Feb. 28), and I'm not seeing too many complaints about that particular information currently.

ETA: Technically, information can also be pushed through private messages at Kickstarter, but most projects don't use that for updates (and Reaper isn't).

It should be noted, as fantastic as Reaper, Bryan and the team in Denton are, they are still humans (or hoomans in goblin speak) . They will make mistakes like everyone will. Reaper will make good as best they can with the KS backers as quickly as possible. Your point that KS relevant information should be pushed out through the KS update system is a good point. It should. But not everyone will always agree what information should be pushed to backers. What is important to some, others may find tedious. In the case of no shipping during ReaperCon, most likely Reaper could have mentioned the break in shipping, but what if all the containers came in on or before scheduled delivery and shipping had begun on or before March 1st and the five weeks of order fulfillment had completed before the Con? Was it worth spooking the backers over a maybe? Well maybe... Perspective helps me keep my disappointment in check when I look back and realize that I got over 1K worth of toys for $250. So my delivery "Might" be delayed one more week..... I can live with that. My real disappointment is that I couldn't afford the ReaperCon Crown Jewel level so I could shmoze with the staff and artists at dinner and the hotel... I may crash anyway :ph34r: What? I didn't hear anything about con crashing...

• Like 1

I noticed a shop that was selling Reaper Sample paints. Same price as regular paints. o.0

that would be enough for me to stop shopping there

I wouldn't have a problem with it (it's their paint, they can do what the like with it), though I'd probably start to wonder about the financial viability of the store.

But not everyone will always agree what information should be pushed to backers.

This. I've backed a number of KS projects (with a very good fulfillment rate thus far), and never, ever has the company involved told me their *priority* for handling award fulfillment. It seems like a nice wish, and I think it is cool that Reaper provided it to us, but it is NOT mission-critical information. And people complaining about waiting a couple more weeks for their awards is just that; complaining. Harden up, cupcake. Reaper isn't perfect, but they've done a damn fine job on managing the challenges that have come along. I may get my rewards a touch later than expected, but it won't be by much.

Such entitlement attitude gives me a headache. I'm really glad I don't have Bryan's job.

~v

• Like 8

I've backed a number of KS projects (with a very good fulfillment rate thus far), and never, ever has the company involved told me their *priority* for handling award fulfillment.

It seems common (even expected) for the laser terrain Kickstarters (I can think of three that were fairly clear, and two of those were simplest to most complex). I've seen it in a handful of other projects as well, but there is less of a pattern there. Some (Artisan Dice) switched order part-way, from pledge order to something like complexity.

My sense is that if order fulfillment will take more than about two weeks(*), most projects will explain how they are approaching the problem (more than half). With Reaper's huge fulfillment job, people will notice whether they are fulfilled first or last (receiving stuff in April or June), and managing expectations is important to customer service and very important to keeping the unhappy backers relatively quiet. Announcing the fulfillment order earlier, explaining why that order was chosen, would have resulted in some complaints at the time, but those backers would have time to calm down (and others would learn of the system and reasons) before the real complaining starts a couple weeks into fulfillment.

[i think that Dreadball said something about how they were dealing with orders, but I can't recall right now -- there definitely were complaints as shipping went funny. I didn't back Zpoc or Zombicide, so I can't speak to how they managed expectations, and Ogre is too far off to have made that announcement.]

Such entitlement attitude gives me a headache. I'm really glad I don't have Bryan's job.

Absolutely. But there will be complainers like that in any group, and even if it's just one in a thousand who is vocal and entitled, that is still 18 people who can fill the Kickstarter comments (and, more importantly, other forums) with complaints.

My philosophy on this and most other things Kickstarter: there will be complaints whatever the project does, and no project can afford enough staff to monitor and respond to everything 24/7/365, so it is good to explain what you are doing and why so that fewer backers complain and more backers have the information needed to answer questions and clarify complaints.

Edit: add second quote and next to last paragraph.

(*)ETA: "more than two weeks" from first to last shipment out the door, not from end of project to shipment.

Edited by KevinR

Valid points, but in my opinion it's a "meet halfway" thing - where in addition to clear communication the people being fulfilled are also reasonable enough to extend some leeway and benefit of the doubt. It shouldn't be a binary affair, where everything is either perfect or horrible.

I mean, I'd obviously prefer my stuff shipped quick. Soon. Yesterday would be nice. But at the same time, I understand the issues facing Reaper in achieving a successful fulfillment. It's not the people who have legitimate questions, concerns, or some level of disappointment that I think are the problem. It's the ones who seem to instantly default straight into Rage Mode and want everything right now and perfect. That's just unreasonable.

Ideally we should all be on the same page with the same objective. We want our stuff, Reaper wants us to have our stuff. We want to enjoy the hobby, Reaper wants us to enjoy the hobby, and this board wants everybody to join in and sling paint.

With so much common ground, you'd think there'd be little to no hostility - but that's not the case. And I think it's those that Shakandara (and myself) really get bugged by, they're inherently counterproductive. They won't make the mail move any quicker, and taking time out to deal with them takes time out from fulfillment.

Basically if people exercise a little patience and trust, we all get our goodies faster. The kickstarter is, and always was, in addition to normal business. Normal orders, having to do conventions, and so on.

This doesn't mean I agree with every decision (as an example, I voiced my opinion about bringing KS Bones to shows as a negative) but it does mean that once my opinion has been registered I'm content to let them get on with the job. I might not personally like the idea that people were able to buy these Bones early at conventions before I got them, but I'm also willing to pull up my Big Boy pants and accept that it makes good industry sense.

But some backers just aren't willing to make that leap. That's life on the internet.

• Like 2

They have proms for goblins?! Oh god I do not want to touch the punchbowl!!

Wait...... :devil: Do you happen to know.....the Goblin King? Shall we summon his greatness and sing....for old times' sake? Hmm...what kind of magic spell to use....

You remind me of the babe...

While we're making Labyrinth references, I'd just like to point out that I AM the Goblin King (My IRL name being Jaryth, pronounced the same was as it is in the movie. Thats actually where my mother got it from. Just added her own spelling.)

Related note. Buglips, bow down to me! No, I'm just kidding. But you can go steal some children, and then sing a song!

• Like 3