Another Video, Bones Kickstarter

Reaperbryan

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably wouldn't be tossing the boxes quite so vigorously, either.

I mean, it's okay for you - you're used to dodging bricks. But if somebody else, maybe on of the newer people, is a bit slow in reaction?

BAM!

20 lbs of metal right in the kisser!

I'd ask how many boxes all the add-ons come in if somebody got them all - but that's a rather more complicated thing since everybody probably got something different and how those arrive to you for reboxing to consumers is probably a whole different animal. However, if you should happen to know that answer anyway then I am very curious.

I don't have that data, but I do know that of the almost 18,000 orders, less than 600 of them are exactly identical to each other. Almost all of those is an order of just one Vampire Level, and nothing else.

The other just about 17,000 orders are all unique, what with about 80 different options that you could choose one or more of, that's 7.15*e118 possible options, and you guys sure seemed to use as many of those as you could! :lol:

We live to annoy, that and you guys gave us too many great options to choose from.

• Like 3

Oh, and for math wonks out there, that 7.15 *e118 is only 80 factorial assuming only one of each could be chosen. I have no idea how to even calculate the possible choices that are available when you can have a quantity of 0-10 of each of 80 things.

Unless I'm mistaken, it's 880!-1. (The "-1" assumes that 0 of everything isn't a choice you want to track. ^_^ )

Edit: Oops, no, that's wrong, as that would assume that choosing 9 Vampires and 2 Vampires was a valid choice. I think the right number is 11^80-1.

If you don't put the artificial limit of 10 of an individual item, the number is Aleph-Null.

Edited by Doug Sundseth
  • Like 2

I don't have that data, but I do know that of the almost 18,000 orders, less than 600 of them are exactly identical to each other. Almost all of those is an order of just one Vampire Level, and nothing else.

What is the reason why you're not shipping the simple, vampire-with-no-extras pledges now as soon as you get them in?

I'm not second guessing here and I know there is going to be a sound business reason as to why not, but I'm just curious as to what that is.

What is the reason why you're not shipping the simple, vampire-with-no-extras pledges now as soon as you get them in?

I'm not second guessing here and I know there is going to be a sound business reason as to why not, but I'm just curious as to what that is.

There is! I'm excited because I know the answer!!

OK - so, the total number of pledges that could be fulfilled without the Options (which are all in the second shipment) is just over 400. As we do not yet have the Options in the warehouse, I cannot reliably give a shipping start date, although we are still predicting March.

Given that, it would be quite the PR challenge to have a few hundred backers receive their goods and not the others, since we never specified that this shipment would also be in "waves" like Sophie was.

We've watched Kickstarters get eaten alive by fans for shipping taking months and months, and there being long stretches between groups. It's a minor problem, but the space gained by 400 Vamps being shipped would pale in comparison to the fury gained when we shipped one group today, and waited another 2-6 weeks for the next group.

Now, there's a second non-PR related reason. We have a contract with UPS to get a special bulk rate, and they will leave container trucks here, we fill them, they pick them up as they fill. That does not yet begin, so if we did begin shipping now, we'd not get the special rate, and shipping is easily 30% of our expenses here, and we'd like to keep that down as much as possible.

I hope that clears things up a little.

There is! I'm excited because I know the answer!!

OK - so, the total number of pledges that could be fulfilled without the Options (which are all in the second shipment) is just over 400. As we do not yet have the Options in the warehouse, I cannot reliably give a shipping start date, although we are still predicting March.

Given that, it would be quite the PR challenge to have a few hundred backers receive their goods and not the others, since we never specified that this shipment would also be in "waves" like Sophie was.

We've watched Kickstarters get eaten alive by fans for shipping taking months and months, and there being long stretches between groups. It's a minor problem, but the space gained by 400 Vamps being shipped would pale in comparison to the fury gained when we shipped one group today, and waited another 2-6 weeks for the next group.

Now, there's a second non-PR related reason. We have a contract with UPS to get a special bulk rate, and they will leave container trucks here, we fill them, they pick them up as they fill. That does not yet begin, so if we did begin shipping now, we'd not get the special rate, and shipping is easily 30% of our expenses here, and we'd like to keep that down as much as possible.

I hope that clears things up a little.

Awesome! It's great to get these little bits of info on how the logistics of such a massive project actually work. Thanks!

Hey Bryan, (let me preface this with a "I might be wrong") isn't the UPS discount for Bulk rate over the course of a month? You might be safe if they just keep a feed going.

Even assuming that you're correct and it would be available at any point of the month, he said it could easily be another six weeks, which would fall outside of that month.

Honestly, this is the better way.

Most people who participated in the Kickstarter do not seem to even lurk on the forums, much less post. The majority of the peoples' orders include options. That means that even if they sent out a Kickstarter update blast (which, again, a lot of people don't seem to read as evidenced by the number of people who didn't use the pledge manager), there would be a ton of people who would hear from, say, their buddy down at their FLGS that they got their shipment already and will come guns blazing to Reaper to demand why they haven't had theirs yet. And if the response is, "Oh, well, your stuff hasn't come in yet... it'll ship out when it does. No, we don't know precisely when that'll be..." rather than, "Yes, your order is scheduled to be packed next week since you had all these different options. We're on schedule to have all orders shipped by [plausible date with padding] with a delivery of [x days or week after, depending on where it's being shipped]." you know there will be gnashing of teeth.

Far better to just have it all sit a bit longer and spend some time, y'know, drinking protein shakes in preparation for the work ahead as most Kickstarter backers have not a clue that the warehouse is stuffed with Bones.

• Like 1