This work is going to be a diorama in support of human rights in China. In particular, it will protest their horrendous one-child policy. The scene will feature a mother, defending her three children from Chinese police. At this point, I'm still at the planning stage. I would love any advice or ideas you all might have to share!

Mother will be 50260: Xiufang, Femme Fatale

50260_w_1.jpg

Children will be the girl, baby, and the boy on the far right from 03233: Townsfolk: Children.

03233_G.jpg

Chinese policeman #1 will be 50036: Saburo Aritomo, Meiji Japanese Officer, with the mustache removed, and the sword hand converted to an empty hand.

50036_w_1.jpg

Chinese policeman #2 will be a compilation of two different figures, and a head from a boneyard sprue set:

Body = 50006: Col. Edward Titchener, British Officer

Arms = 50106: British Bobby

Head = P50008B: Heads (middle one)

50006.jpg + 50106_w_1.jpg + P50008B_w_1.jpg

• Like 4

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I applaud the idea but shouldn't the mother be standing in front of a tank with her children behind her? I mean lets face it the chinese government Doesn't get awards for playing fair. (only Slightly joking about this)

tankman.jpg

depending on the time period/style of the rama your wanting to make.

I found a couple of things

Corporate Assassin

IG_2023_1.jpg

Daniel Sterling, Secret Agent of GUARD

50010_w_1.jpg

great for Us Vs Them style.

Nova Corp Soldier

50103_w_1.jpg

great for faceless soldiers and not too futuristic imo.

Dr. John Watson

50060_w_1.jpg

Lot of promise here, you could put the billy club in the left hand and or change the head.

Wonderful idea!!<br /><br />I would figure out a background scene and do that part first. By that I mean the location. You could do a traditional diorama format in the shape of the family's apartment. I have an idea that could work. If your interested key me know and I'll do a prototype out of paper and PM you pics.

• Like 2

I applaud the idea but shouldn't the mother be standing in front of a tank with her children behind her? I mean lets face it the chinese government Doesn't get awards for playing fair. (only Slightly joking about this).

That's only too true! And thanks for the suggestions. I did look at all those figures. I placed the order today for the minis in my top post, but thanks, anyway.

Wonderful idea!!<br /><br />I would figure out a background scene and do that part first. By that I mean the location. You could do a traditional diorama format in the shape of the family's apartment. I have an idea that could work. If your interested key me know and I'll do a prototype out of paper and PM you pics.

Sure, why not? I'll give it a look.

Not to get too political, though you already seem to be there, but if this is intended for Chinese people to see, you definately don't want a Japanese uniformed officer in the scene. Chinese don't much like Japanese, and are very familiar with their WWII styles of dress.

The Nazi Zombie Officer might be a better choice, as it has high cheek bones and clothing more similar to the modern chinese military. http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Modern/sku-down/50221

Second, the one child policy is only held up depending on the region in where you live. If you want to have more than one child, you just need to move. Even if you are discovered with more children than you should have, usually they just fine you, though at times severely. The horror comes in that Chinese society, not the government, prefers males to females, even at the cost of female children's lives. This has been happening in China far longer than their current government has existed.

Just some thoughts.

Edited by Halberkill

@Halberkil: It is difficult to get accurate information about what goes on in China, but the one-child policy is excessively enforced, especially in rural areas, through coercive measures, including forced abortions and sterilizations. It is for exposing such atrocities that Chen Guangcheng had to flee to the U.S. Embassy in May of last year, to seek asylum for himself and his family.

@Nocturne: I thought about doing the business suit thing, but I couldn't find any appropriate figures. And police look more menacing. And most of all, I already bought the figures and converted them. ::):

Here are the officers, converted as I described above.

post-4823-0-23317700-1362280349_thumb.jpg

And here's a "rough sketch" of the diorama. Andy (Talespinner) suggested I move the mom behind the door, looking out with the gun hidden behind her back. It adds a lot more drama to the scene. Thanks, Andy, for the advice!

post-4823-0-23513800-1362280350_thumb.jpg

post-4823-0-11247500-1362280351_thumb.jpg

Edited by MamaGeek
  • Like 2

Can you move the lower right arm around so it's held behind her back more surreptitiously?

I think if she's behind the door, that won't be necessary, but if I didn't move her, you're right, that would be a better pose. I'm glad Iwon't have to, though. The police conversions were difficult, and I don't think I got the baton-wielding one's shoulders quite right. Converting a beautiful woman is far more daunting. :)

• Like 1

I appreciate what you're doing, and I hope it turns out well, I really do. But I keep having qualms about it.

Who is the audience for this diorama? I think it might come across as very strange to a Chinese person, even one who sympathizes with your message. You're trying to say something important. I hope you're being careful so it won't get lost in translation.

• Like 3

I appreciate what you're doing, and I hope it turns out well, I really do. But I keep having qualms about it.

Who is the audience for this diorama? I think it might come across as very strange to a Chinese person, even one who sympathizes with your message. You're trying to say something important. I hope you're being careful so it won't get lost in translation.

This is really more for a Western audience than Eastern, but I understand your point. I have sent an email to a journalist I know who may be able to refer me to an expert to help with that sort of thing. The figures are set, but the rest can be changed.

You could have the door open inwards on its hinges and have her standing halfway in and halfway out with her gun arm behind the wall on the inside of the apartment.

I plan on cutting out the door, and trying out various poses. I want to make sure the mother is clearly visible to the audience from at least one angle of viewing.

It's nicely taking shape. You did a very good job on the conversion, that's adding a lot more dynamism and personality to the models.

Is there a particular reason why you're making the stairway and the all scene so high?

Yes, it places the woman and her family on "high ground" and it adds dimensionality to the scene.

I plan on putting two lanterns in the otherwise dark hallway, one at the top of the stairs, and one in the corner at the bottom; both will be painted with OSL. The apartment will be well-lit from an unseen source (further in the room), which also has metaphorical meaning. I like having that corner at the bottom to work with, too. I don't know what I'll put there yet.

Edited by MamaGeek
  • Like 1