Sign in to follow this  
Spinward Bound

Wood Elf Noble Lady

Here is the Wood Elf Lady. I had a lot of trouble with the eyes, kept missing and building up paint deposits that wouldn't go away. Over all I'm ok with the paint job, considering my skill level and the detail of the mini. Once I get my bow sprues I'm going to put a bow in her hand.

WIP:

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/47632-wood-elves/

post-9166-0-86193500-1361080651.jpg

post-9166-0-40213700-1361080665.jpg

post-9166-0-96684300-1361080673.jpg

C&C welcome.

Edited by Spinward Bound
  • Like 10

Tom Meier's does make some TRULY ELEGANT pieces; your brushwork is bringing that aspect out VERY NICELY. GREAT WORK!

On the eyes: if the paint builds up too thickly, I usually will take a pin or similar pointy thing & scrape of the paint before repainting. As my eyes get weaker with age, this is one of those things I find I do more & more frequently.

• Like 1

Wonderful paintjob ::): I agree with Patrik that the light source used in the photos is too bright. Usually takes me a couple tries to get lighting sorted as well...

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with the light source. The photographs I was taking of miniatures this weekend were using lights probably at least 1000 times as bright as normal room light.

That said, the photos are probably around a stop overexposed. The answer isn't to change the brightness of the light but to adjust the aperture, exposure time, or ISO (sensor sensitivity) to reduce the exposure.

• Like 3

My photo-fu is pretty bad. I just shine a desk lamp at the mini, take a picture, and hope for the best. I use the flash too, don't know if that's what is making things drowned out, but when I don't use the flash it looks worse. They're a little better when I park an unpainted bones next to them, guess that's pretty ghetto hehe.

Since I'm posting these guys, I should probably expend a little more effort in the picture taking department.

I like your paintjob, but I cannot see in this mini a wood elf. I think that a wood elf would wear those clothes only under very, very special circumstances.

I like your paintjob, but I cannot see in this mini a wood elf. I think that a wood elf would wear those clothes only under very, very special circumstances.

It's church day and she is on her way to worship daisies and sunshine?

Beautiful job. You're a better man than me. I actually tried painting this miniature a few years back and gave up in frustration with her teeny weeny itty bitty eyeballs. No matter how many times I tried I couldn't get them the way I wanted them. But then, that was pre-visor/nerd goggles....

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By 72moonglum
      Hello guys!

I'm not sure if this is the place to put this and I don't think it's permissible to put links to other web sites, but just as some general information,  Thunderbolt Mountain Miniatures, that was a company that Tom Meier had founded quite a many years ago after leaving Ral Partha, are once again available, and being cast through a subsidiary company of Ral Partha, called Ral Partha Legacy.  They are working on releasing some classic Partha for their Chaos Wars game, other miniatures that were previously out of production, and of special note, miniatures from Thunderbolt Mountain.  At the moment on their site they have all their 32 mm elves, orcs and goblins, as well as their smaller 25mm Arthurians and a variety of other historical and fantasy miniatures.  Worth checking out, some very nice pieces out there! 
    • By 72moonglum
      Hi guys and gals, 

So just painted these two, which were pretty simple jobs being they didn't have too many things hanging off of them.  These are bugbears sculpted by Tom Meier, back in 1983.  I had always thought these were odd kind of figures, because my other concept of bugbears at the time were the Monster Manual version as well as the two Grenadier bugbears that were available at the time.  One of my future projects is to paint the Grenadier bugbears as well, plus some more recent Partha bugbears and I think I have somewhere the female bugbear by Reaper that I'd like to paint up.

Anyhoos, these guys have these huge eyes that I really didn't know what to do with.  I thought of one color and not put in any pupils, but then changed my mind.  Hopefully green eyes look okay.  

Anyhoos, enjoy!

• By 72moonglum
      Good morning Reapermaniacs,

So here's one I've had painted for about a week or so but have never just gotten around to sit down at my normal computer to post him.

This one is one I've actually had for a long time, and it's an old lead version back from the seventies.  I had to at one point I think scrape off some paint. I had another newer version of him, but the detail was pretty soft so ended up painting up the original, whose details were so much more nice and crisp.

And being he was a "high" elf, I wanted him to have some nice light colors, no greens and browns.

Anyhoos, here he is:

I've been on a recent kick painting these older miniatures, even old by Partha standards (pre-eighties).  I think I'm going to keep painting them, putting them into my normal mix of newer, old Partha figures.  In any case, hope you like them!

• By 72moonglum
      Morning everybody!
      So just finished this one up and got photos edited.  I've had this figure for a while now, just finally getting time to paint it, he's Ral Partha, Wizard from Ral Partha's Personalities and Things that Go Bump in the Night series.  One of the first miniatures of that series, and this might be the second version.  There was another version with a shorter hanging cloak, and then one was done many years later, where you are able to easily see Tom Meier's progress over the years.  This was sculpted in the seventies, in the infancy of Ral Partha. It's a fun miniature and this is just a huge and heavy chunk of lead.

and then kind of little close up of his tomes:

and this figure oddly enough at one point came in a gold plated version as some sort of prize.  No idea why I have it, I think it came from when my brother was working at Star Realm, our local game shop.  Sadly, as I was bringing him upstairs to photograph, he did a nose dive onto my basement, concrete floor and got a piece of his gold plating knocked off around his hat:

Beyond that he has certainly seen better days with rust/mold or whatever happens to gold plating after 40 years or so.

Anyway, hope you enjoy this little look into miniatures history!

Mark
  • Who's Online   14 Members, 1 Anonymous, 33 Guests (See full list)