Sign in to follow this  
Bel_Amore

Crazy? Probably

Hey everyone! It's been a while since I've been here on the boards. Probably since last RCon! I've been a busy gal the last (almost) 12 months and it sure has been interesting. I don't really need to get into all the details but I've decided 2013 is a year for doing more for myself and more for others in need. So.....drum roll please....

Next Saturday February 23rd I will brave the frigid temps of Minnesota winter and willingly walk out onto a frozen lake with a giant hole cut in it and take the plunge! My Dad has done the Polar Plunge for the last few years to support Special Olympics Minnesota. Dad has challenged me to participate this year. I know there has to be others on the forum who have participated or know someone who has participated, any tips or suggestions? For the rest of you in warmer climates..how crazy does this make us northerners look? :wacko:

• Like 8

Remember where the nearest wood stove is. I used to do stuff like that a lot growing up. My band used to consider a naked jump into a snowbank a good hangover cure.

Edited by CashWiley

I have hypothermia just reading this.

No arcticy shenanigans for me, no sir. Now a nice desert, scorching sun, maybe a hot rock to lounge on? That's the life for me. To slowly charbroil and eat sand bugs.

• Like 2

A friend of mine is a multiple member of the 300 club at the south pole:

Participants in the 300 Club wait for a day when the temperature drops to −100°F (-73°C) for more than a few minutes, generally in the winter. The persons first warm up in a sauna heated to 200°F (93°C) for as long as 10 minutes.[1] Then they run naked in the snow to the Ceremonial Pole itself in the −100-degree weather, and run around the Pole.[2] After this, they usually warm themselves back in the sauna again, often with the aid of alcoholic drinks.[3]

Very crazy, but you live in Minnesota, so it's a given. :lol:

In my neck of the woods we have a "polar plunge" every year just after Christmas, but seeing as how it rarely drops below freezing here, I really don't know how you can call it "polar". More like, "pretty cold plunge" or if they do it in the right lake they could be justified in calling it a "glacial plunge". Those glacier lakes are f(*#&%!g cold even in the hottest part of summer. I think if you have to cut a hole in the ice just to find the water though, that qualifies as "polar" :upside:

I have hypothermia just reading this.

No arcticy shenanigans for me, no sir. Now a nice desert, scorching sun, maybe a hot rock to lounge on? That's the life for me. To slowly charbroil and eat sand bugs.

Then why are you in Canada? I'm just below you in Ohio, but am leaving for Tucson in 10 days. That is desert.

The persons first warm up in a heated to 200°F (93°C) for as long as 10 minutes.

While that's a bit hot for me, it is a good trick if you have the proper metabolism. My body changes temp very slowly. If I take a hot shower or hang out around the woodstove for a while, I can go out into freezing temps in a flannel shirt for an hour without getting cold.

If I take a hot shower in the spring or autumn, I can't wear my vest because I'll overheat all day long (I like wearing three piece suits, shut up).

I've officially reached my fund raising goal! 4 days to spare! This means I really will be plunging into the icy cold waters this Saturday!!!! Did I mention it's supposed to be around 20 degrees on Saturday? brrrrrrr!!!

• Like 1