Sign in to follow this  
Slashhamster

First Bones - 77005 Ogre Chieftain, 77006 Great Worm

After a holiday hiatus and break from my Castle Ravenloft painting, I'm finally getting back into the swing of things. Here are my first Bones paint jobs. These were so much more fun to work with than the miniatures found in the D&D board game.

77005 - Ogre Chieftain

post-9097-0-12588700-1361209287_thumb.jpg

77006 - Great Worm

post-9097-0-62797200-1361209288_thumb.jpg

Nothing too original in either paint job, but I'm happy with how they turned out. Comments welcome.

While I didn't do anything for bases on these, I loved Thrym's idea for bases here, and have picked up some of the tiles myself. I have a few works in progress using these tiles, and so far they work quite well! I'm not sure my basing skills are up to par yet, but we'll see once the minis are finished.

• Like 15

Is that purple worm... purple? I've heard of this, but only in whispered legends told 'round the fire on windy nights...

Anyway, I love the skintone on that ogre and the worm looks gorgeous, especially the mouth. I really want to try painting up another bones ogre sometime, now ::D:

• Like 2

Those look very nicely done. I have a "blue" worm on my table in process. They are the much larger versions on our custom campaign D&D world.

I think you have to do at least one version of the worm as a stock Purple Worm. I plan to buy a few more and make one Purple then try some of the other ideas on here.

Keep up the good work.

While I didn't do anything for bases on these, I loved Thrym's idea for bases here, and have picked up some of the tiles myself. I have a few works in progress using these tiles, and so far they work quite well! I'm not sure my basing skills are up to par yet, but we'll see once the minis are finished.

They've worked out well. Since they are plain and easily drilled into, I plan to make some 1" terrain squares. A tree, a single door, grave stones, and the like in addition to basing all my smaller Bones figures.

I've also started a WIP about the Bones Werewolf with one of those bases.

Bones Werewolf Cut and Reposition

Anyway, I love the skintone on that ogre

Thanks, that was actually the most stressful/time consuming part to paint. This was my first attempt using a paint triad (bronzed flesh). In the past, all my skin has just been base coat, wash, and maybe a few highlights.

They look pretty good and nice work on making the purple worm actually purple!

Why did you enjoy those two more than the Ravenloft ones? Was it flavour, cast, mold, character? Or just that you didn't have a big whack of the buggers to do to be done? :p

Why did you enjoy those two more than the Ravenloft ones? Was it flavour, cast, mold, character? Or just that you didn't have a big whack of the buggers to do to be done? :p

All of the above? ik_wink.gif

Some of the Ravenloft sculpts were nice (flesh golem, gargoyles, blazing elementals are probably my favorites), but many of them just weren't very good, and lacking detail (wraiths, heroes, zombies, and that god awful 'werewolf' doing a wacky dance move).

There was definitely an issue of once I started the set, I felt compelled to finish it before starting anything else, and by the end, I was pretty tired of them, especially since I did the heroes last and was not very fond of any of them.

Mechanically, I felt these Bones took paint quicker, easier, and had so much more detail to work with (the ogre actually intimidated me at first with how many accoutrements he had).

Doing 3 of the same sculpt helps the time:mini ratio, but also has it's downsides. I'd take 3-4 tries to get the eyes right on something (like a wolf), admire the work, then realize I have to repeat it two more times. With a single, I can futz with something over and over, and stop as soon as it get it the way I like, and not have to worry about repeating it.

I do have to say though, your treatment of the WoA minis in your thread is outstanding. I was almost convinced to buy the set just for the snakes.

I'll definitely agree on the PC's and humanoid characters from ravenloft and ashardalon. That's why they're getting left to last.

I was just curious as to the reasoning because now I'm getting even more excited for Reaper's box of madness to arrive :D It'll make a nice change and it's given me the enthusiasm to power through all the humanoids left. I definitely want it done before Reaper's arrive.

Fantastic paint jobs. I like the strong contrast between back and belly on the purple worm, I think I will need to buy another at some point to try something similar.