If you read the blog you already seen this guy. I thought I'd start a thread to post about him here too.

I'm not sure if I'm making too many threads or is the forum a little on the idle side? Mods? Should I make one megathread or is this better?

Working with a reference image I've taken myself.

F4owBEp.jpg

fah0Mdy.jpg

XCYRfZ8.jpg

Z26xgGl.jpg

Edited by Hellbeard
  • Like 5

He's off to a great start.

I have only a few WIP threads, one main one and then ones for special projects, mostly because my WIP posts are as much for my benefit as they are for others as all my notes and color guides are included. So I don't want to have to look through 500 threads to find out what colors I used on something.

I don't think the mods really care about how many you make, you're about the only person keeping this board busy.

He's off to a great start.

I have only a few WIP threads, one main one and then ones for special projects, mostly because my WIP posts are as much for my benefit as they are for others as all my notes and color guides are included. So I don't want to have to look through 500 threads to find out what colors I used on something.

I don't think the mods really care about how many you make, you're about the only person keeping this board busy.

Thanks. I guess I'll continue as I have so far. There are some other posters that frequent here now and again. Maybe I'll help spark more interest. :D

What's the hot water technique?

I found that when it's cold the freshly mixed putty is hard and not sticky so I heated it up a bit on the side of a cup of tea (it left a residue). It seemed that hot temperature causes the Green Stuff to flow more freely, become more sticky, have less surface tension as well as cure faster. What I've done the last couple of sessions is have a cup of hot water to dip my tools in when I need to blend the edges between two masses of putty. Afterwards I just smooth the surface out and I don't have to toil away for ages on disappearing the seam lines.

Also, it's conceivable that once you want your putty to set you can dunk it in a cup of hot water and it'll serve the same purpose as one of those lamp oven things.

What do you think? I haven't come across any adverse effects yet but I haven't been doing it long.

Heh. He's got a BACKPACK! It's one of those things that so often appears on the character sheet but is never represented on the PC model. :D I really like the jacket and that knee pad. This is another mini I'm sure I could find a use for.

Thanks for the tip on the green stuff! I've noticed that green stuff gets harder when it gets COLD, but I hadn't come up with a suitable solution other than "let it thaw out." I suppose I really should have extrapolated from the method for heating up Instant Mold, but for some reason I just hadn't made that connection. I'll have to try that.

P.S. -- I actually like seeing progress in separate threads.

It's better than putting the greenstuff on a lightbulb. 'Burned myself once that way.

Sounds dangerous.

Heh. He's got a BACKPACK! It's one of those things that so often appears on the character sheet but is never represented on the PC model. :D I really like the jacket and that knee pad. This is another mini I'm sure I could find a use for.

Thanks for the tip on the green stuff! I've noticed that green stuff gets harder when it gets COLD, but I hadn't come up with a suitable solution other than "let it thaw out." I suppose I really should have extrapolated from the method for heating up Instant Mold, but for some reason I just hadn't made that connection. I'll have to try that.

P.S. -- I actually like seeing progress in separate threads.

Cool! Thanks for the good feedback. I haven't considered that backpacks were unusual. He needs somewhere to store all the extra gear for doing shadowruns or solving dark conspiracies ;)

I think that's it:

xNVJOCt.jpg

mV5UKdI.jpg

mVsyFGX.jpg\

I'll welcome ideas for another one if anyone has any.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rigel
      It would be nice to think about cyberpunk utopias, but somehow those just don't grip the popular imagination. Instead it's always overcast or raining, the sky is brocced, corporations own everything and everyone and surveillance is ubiquitous. There's money to be had, but barely enough to buy noodles unless you're connected...or willing to ignore corporate law.

Devo Ranks eats the *fancy* noodles every day. They have Skillz.

Click for more angles.

Hacking into a Public Service Panopticon? CHILD'S PLAY. 

If you need muscle? Devo Knows A Guy. Or lady, really.

Don't worry, Dez! Those cameras are showing nothing but innocuous looped footage now.

No one pays the cleaners enough in the cyberpunk dystopian future. 

I won't pretend to understand what kind of cyber-heist these three are conducting. 

But you can be sure they have made Powerful Enemies, as well as enough credits to afford the FANCY noodles for the rest of the year!

Devo is a fun one. Gender-ambiguous and tech-savvy. Because cyberpunk is inextricable from the late 80s and early 90s, I gave Devo the most day-glo Nickelodeon counterculture wardrobe I could think of. Dez from Bombshell we have seen before, in the post-apocalyptic Radlands, as well as the little sniper from Crooked Dice. 

The Public Service Panopticonnouncer was made from  SD card placeholders and chunks of expired credit card, along with I think a vape component. The text, like much of the signage on the building, comes from a beer can label artfully chopped into pieces and rearranged into vaguely menacing advertisements. Also some sprue and all the camera-looking Bitz and Gunz in my Bitz Box. 

I don't have any cyberpunk setting or games planned, but I can feel the itch growing. C&C welcome.
    • By Mckenna35
      Stumbled across this and thought others might find it of interest.  They certainly have some different figures.  

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wildspire/monsters-of-solan-fantasy-monster-miniatures

tory

Welcome!
       Need generic and predictable miniature designs?? We are not for you. 
       Imaginative fantasy absolutely requires imaginative miniatures.  Our primary aim is to provide miniatures that surprise backers and enhance their creativity and spark their imagination. Made for fantasy tabletop role-playing games, like Dungeons and Dragons and Pathfinder, but also for painters and collectors. 
      Special thanks and recognition to 3D modeler, Miguel Zavala, aka MZ4250. Many of the designs in this set were designed and crafted by him.  See his Patreon for many FREE 3D printable STL file for download. From this set, his works include: the Lamia, Wyrmling, Lizardfolk, Tiefling Outlander, Deep Gnome, Sharkenbear, Beer Golem, and Ratmancer. The design and size of some of these have been modified for this campaign. 

• By TripleH
      New books be Dave Taylor, one of which features Aaron Lovejoy, Matt Dipietro, and Elizabeth Beckley of Miniature Monthly and others.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1560579763/the-art-of-volumes-1-3?ref=user_menu

If you would like to just get two of the three books, the best way to do so is to pledge for one of the books, then increase your pledge total to include the Add-on price for the second book below. 

We will be using BackerKit as our pledge manager and that's where you'll have the opportunity to make those specific choices. If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the comments or by messaging me here on Kickstarter.

THE ART OF…
      For more than 30 years I have spent a great deal of time talking with hundreds of artists who paint miniatures – for fun, for a living, for relaxation – and I am always intrigued to learn more about their philosophies, approaches, and processes. Some of these artists have spent decades refining their technical skills, while others bring their “traditional” art training to the miniatures world. Some draw inspiration from the most unusual of places, while others find it in popular culture turned on its head.

THE ART OF… series of books will highlight fantastic miniatures artists from around the world, bringing their thoughts and passions to stand alongside their magnificent and inspirational work. We’ll be featuring both individuals and groups in this series, as we explore innovative approaches, studied refinements, and even tangential influences.
      These books will be both a celebration of the artist and their art, as well as an opportunity for them to present their thoughts on particular topics and let the world know why they approach their art the way they do. These will not be “How To” books, but rather complements to their existing outlets work that the artists are already doing.
      This is just the beginning of THE ART OF… series. With so many wonderful miniatures artists, there is so much potential to explore.

Volume 1 – THE ART OF... Miniature Monthly
      Miniature Monthly is a collective of three professional painters from the US – Aaron Lovejoy, Elizabeth Beckley, and Matt DiPietro – who have a Patreon (Miniature Monthly) producing painting tutorial videos. All three are (or have been) studio painters for a number of different companies and they each bring something different to the table. This book will be a high-quality, softback artbook of 128 pages.
      Aaron will cover:
      • Creating a team/collective – looking at The Painters’ Guild and Miniature Monthly
      • Striking a balance between Speed and High-end painting
      • Freehand – Adding depth and texture
      Elizabeth will cover:
      • Smooth Skin – featuring work on the Kingdom Death minis
      • Chibi Art – how painting chibis differs from “standard” miniatures
      Matt will cover:
           • Ancient methods with infinite possibilities.
      • The Art of miniatures, – Finding your voice and engaging with the audience.
      https://www.patreon.com/miniaturemonthly
      https://www.facebook.com/miniaturemonthly
      https://www.instagram.com/artoflovejoy/
      https://www.instagram.com/miniature_mistress/
      https://www.instagram.com/mattdipietroart/

Volume 2 – THE ART OF... Christof Keil
      Christof Keil (aka k03rnl) is an artist from Germany who has made a name for himself with his incredible kitbashes and conversions and his work to turn 2D artwork into 3D pieces. Christof’s day job as a blacksmith working on enormous metal sculptures has given him a precise eye for balance and motion. This book will be a high-quality, softback artbook of 96 pages.
      • Kitbashing – a focus on anatomy, balance, silhouette
      • The Black Phalanx – a kitbashed project
      • Sculpting – creating reliefs and busts
      • Painting Black – an exercise in mimicking the masters
      • Black Templars – recreating the John Blanche art of 3rd Edition
      https://www.instagram.com/k03rnl/
      https://www.instagram.com/black.phallanx.sculpts/
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfsw4HOpTJ2MWvSbiBCT7-g

Volume 3 – THE ART OF... Ana Polanšćak
      Ana is a professional miniatures painter from Croatia who is widely regarded for her world-building miniatures art. Her converted and sculpted miniatures blend seamlessly with her terrain work to create dark corners of worlds that beg to be explored – at your peril. This book will be a high-quality, softback artbook of 96 pages.
      • World Building – a focus on selecting a starting point and key developments. Working on your own worlds and collaborating with others
      • Gardens of Hecate – a world created by Ana
      • AoS28 – Hosting the LEGEN and the Sunhold campaigns
      • Sculpting – What it’s like to turn concepts into physical sculpts for the miniatures market, and the reliquary/artifact creations
      https://www.instagram.com/gardensofhecate/
      http://gardensofhecate.blogspot.com
      https://gardensofhecate.com
    • By Mckenna35
      I know there are a few folks that do Bolt Action and similar 28mm wargaming (@buglips), so I thought I'd bounce this out there.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tftb/world-war-ii-soviet-railroad?ref=discovery_recommendations

Story
      Railroads are an important means to transport troops, equipment, ammunition and all other kinds of supply to the front. Especially in a country as vast as the Soviet Union with it's endless steppes, only few reliable roads and no major rivers running in the direction of the German advance during Operation Barbarossa in World War II. 
      With this set of detailed buildings and rolling stock in 1/56 scale for 28mm figures you get the opportunity to recreate the crucial fighting around the Soviet railroad system.
      The kits focus on the major pieces of rolling stock available to the Soviet defenders: box cars, gondola cars and flat cars. And the mighty ALCo RSD-1 Diesel Engine which was made available under the US Lend-Lease Act.
      Also included is a typical rural train station with optional additional platforms for all who want to depict a Soviet - or captured German - supply depot, where heavy equipment like tanks and guns are being unloaded.
      And for all of you looking for an armored train - don't worry! We have you covered.
        Talking about railroad tracks:
      We did not see the need to reinvent the wheel, so all kits are designed to be used with
      4Ground Railroad Tracks (available as add-ons to the Kickstarter) or O Gauge Model Railroad Tracks The kits include optional parts enabling you to choose your favorite system while assembling. Going this route has allowed us to concentrate on designing and producing the rolling stock only, which has the advantage of an earlier fulfillment date for the Kickstarter.
      All models are highly detailed on the outside and inside. The interiors are easily accessible, as roofs are removable. In addition, all doors are moveable, which means you can open or close them during gameplay.

• By Mckenna35
      Short Kickstarter from Bad Squiddo games for female Soviet troopers for WWII gaming.  Thiis expands their existing range and adds troops clad for winter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/badsquiddogames/women-of-ww2-soviet-russia-28mm-miniatures

Story
      Hello! This is a Kickstarter to increase our existing WW2 Soviets range. Already massively popular since the first wave launch of 2016, we decided it needs reinforcements! The miniatures are sculpted and master cast, so this project is to cover the funds of production moulds and the initial casts.

BORING BUT IMPORTANT TECHNICALS - The miniatures are 28mm scale and cast in extremely high quality white metal. Everything is single piece where possible. They come without bases supplied but with moulded on small puddle  bases (easy to chop off if you wish to). And of course -   they are compatible with the similar male miniatures from other manufacturers. They are supplied unpainted - so you can either paint them yourself or simply bring out the detail with an ink wash.

Shipping is charged in addition to your pledge, AFTER THE CAMPAIGN, scroll to the bottom for more information. Please don't add the shipping cost during the campaign. EU Customers be aware of additional import fees, more on that later too.
  • Who's Online   10 Members, 0 Anonymous, 43 Guests (See full list)