Painting Group

Lizard

Stores that sell 40k stuff is probably your best bet to get a paint night started (but then you have to hear 40k talk all night :) ).

If my LGS wasn't an hour away I'd probably be well on my way to infecting their minds with alternate game systems and manufacturers by now. Just not worth two hours driving time and thirty bucks in gas.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If my not so LGS wasn't an hour away I'd probably be well on my way to infecting their minds with alternate game systems and manufacturers by now. Just not worth two hours driving time and thirty bucks in gas.

There, fixed it for you!

Stores that sell 40k stuff is probably your best bet to get a paint night started (but then you have to hear 40k talk all night :) ).

If my LGS wasn't an hour away I'd probably be well on my way to infecting their minds with alternate game systems and manufacturers by now. Just not worth two hours driving time and thirty bucks in gas.

What the heck to you drive? More than half my painting group drives more than an hour to come paint on second Saturday. Its certainly not that they don't have an FLGS in their town either. There are easily 20 game stores from Colorado Springs to Fort Collins. If the group is welcoming people will come.

FJ-Snow-12.26.2010d.jpg

Gas is also pretty expensive here, I was just using the $4.30 I paid at the pump last time as a rough figure. I only live a few blocks from work with 28k miles on my 08 FJ, so the gas prices mostly don't bug me. Honestly, it's as much losing two hours of time combined with the fact that shop is hardcore GW and I don't care for WH40K.

• Like 2

Mine's just stock, loaded with convenience options. Put me in the poorhouse without kitting it out!

Love it though, lots of fun to drive and very practical this time of year. I used to drive a Cherokee that I loved. I'll be quite happy in November when I make my last payment, though.

Well, that certainly use more gas than my little Toyota Echo. I have also discovered that the hardcore GW shops tend to not be nearly as inviting to painting groups in general. We take up space that should be devoted to games even though probably half the armies I see aren't painted and a painting group would go a long way towards getting painted armies on the table.

When I was there last I was trading in my magic cards for store credit. That got my first round of supplies, some tools, spray primers/varnish and dusty old VGC paints that they were liquidating. There was a WH40K night going on, so I walked around and chatted some guys up, asking about painting since I was about to return to painting. Everyone seemed to hate it and all the models (iirc eight tables were active) were atrocious.

Some of the newer 40K stuff looks ok, but I don't care for the chunky scale they use. So far I like Reaper and Corvus Belli stuff for scale, long and lean. I should paint Space Hulk and take it up there.

I don't care for any of the 40k stuff but I like a lot of the WFB monster races (outside of GW's orcs and goblins--can't stand those for some reason).

One of my friends does a painting "outing" at a local game store about every other month but I don't like them. Either everyone's talking, so you can't get painting done, or no one is so why bother going? Also I'd have to transport too much stuff like lighting and such as everyone there is always just speed painting armies and the ones who aren't always try and tell you how you should paint.

I don't really care for the "nerd scene" at game stores as I don't care what other people like, especially those I don't know, or who could beat who in a fight or why my tastes are in "sissy games" (been told that because I use to play a lot of heroclix and Star Wars minis) by store employees (thanks! Just let you manager know why he won't be getting anymore of my money!). The stores out here now days have some pretty nice people working there, about as anti stereotype as you can find, but just don't care to hang out at them anymore.

One of the things I did when I started my painting group was to purchase lights, power strips and power cords. I knew that no matter where I ended up that lighting was going to be a problem. However, I also use this same setup for the painting conference and competition at Genghis Con and Tacticon, my local conventions. For the conventions I bring it all, about 30 lights, plus a bunch of power strips and cords because I never know how many outlets I will have access to and where they might be located. I did build this collection up slowly and it helped draw people into the group. Eventually I could get away with bringing one tub of lights (6 lights, 1 power strip, one power cord) and 2 extra power strips because everyone was bringing their own Ott lights.

It takes time and some dedication to get a good painting group going and early on it doesn't take a whole lot to have it unravel on you. I wanted it to succeed so I did what I thought was necessary to get the group started. Now I can even bringing paint and spare brushes and we can teach a new person on the fly and keep their interest high. I was also at one of the best stores in the area so initially the traffic level was high but we were far enough away that noise wasn't an issue. There would be times when conversation was non-stop but it never created an environment that someone couldn't paint in. When the store closed, thanks to the senior partner being an idiot, we were able to shift locations. I lost about half the group but the core stayed together and we have been able to go into rebuild mode and slowly get the word out of the new location and people are coming back. Unfortunately the new location is a little small and we may need to move to a different (F)LGS.

@Cash, I have run into a few of those unfriendly LGSs. You have to wonder how many of those are managed by someone other than the owner. On the other hand, we have a model railroad store in town that rarely sees more than a few regulars as it is really unfriendly. I learned later that the store does a huge mail order business.