First epoxy sculpt: Avatar of the Serpent God for Serpent's Skull

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you're looking more for a regeneration effect, but you could darken the scales a bit to make it look like coals as well:

Hmmm, that's an interesting idea. I could try and make them darker in the center to make the glow stand out more. I think that matches the original artwork more too.

------------------------

Here, I'll post some links for anyone who wants to find more about those colors. I have to warn you though: they're expensive and I've only been able to find this stuff in pigment form. I had to deal with mixing it with an acrylic binder. I haven't been able to get them to 'flow' nearly as easily as normal paints, but maybe I'm making a mistake in some part of my mixing process.

http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2011/10/tutorial-using-dayglow-colors.html

http://forgedmonkey.com/

Edited by Matrix Dragon
  • Like 1

Ooh, shiny! You know, this weirdly reminds me of hummingbirds. Random useless fact from my avian biology class waaay back- hummingbirds' pigments appear so bright because their feathers reflect a single wavelength of light, which naturally makes the color seem more intense. I wonder if that is the trick with these pigments. Which also makes me think that mixing and combining them would be less effective. Is that the case, or can they be used just like regular paint?

Ooh, shiny! You know, this weirdly reminds me of hummingbirds. Random useless fact from my avian biology class waaay back- hummingbirds' pigments appear so bright because their feathers reflect a single wavelength of light, which naturally makes the color seem more intense. I wonder if that is the trick with these pigments. Which also makes me think that mixing and combining them would be less effective. Is that the case, or can they be used just like regular paint?

Well, the redish color that you can see around the regenerating scales is a mix of a pink and some orange, so they don't seem to lose a large amount of their brightness when mixed. That may only be because those are similar colors though.

I wasn't able to get a green dayglow color when I ordered them, so I'm going to try mixing the blue and yellow to see if I can make my own green. I want to have a green glow coming out of the cracks in the base. I'll let you know how well that works out.

Edit: I just tried mixing that green together. I think it isn't quite as bright as I would like, but it still seems to have a bit of that illusion of 'glowing' going for it. Though, this may have been because the blue and purple dayglows don't seem to 'glow' nearly as much as the red/pink, orange, and yellow.

Edited by Matrix Dragon
  • Like 1

Well, I'm running out of time to work on this thing since the game I want to use it in is coming up in three days... two of which I'll need to properly seal it. So, the picture below is pretty close to what the final look of this thing will look like.

I made one big mistake. I added green glows to the base without thinking of the lighting consequences.... ick. I'll see if I can deal with that at all tomorrow, but I have a feeling I'm going to just have to leave it be.

post-8570-0-65189500-1362725050.jpg

Oh, that green on the base is from me mixing the blue and yellow 'dayglow' colors together. As you can see, those colors aren't quite as effective once mixed together.

Edited by Matrix Dragon

I barely managed to finish the 'mini' in time for the game, and I'm really glad that I put all this work into the thing. Sure, it isn't anywhere near professional quality, but having something that wasn't just another paper mini added a lot to the fight.

post-8570-0-51543900-1363108826.jpgpost-8570-0-14677800-1363108836.jpg

And yes, that many players did die (or get incapacitated) by the time they finally won, lol.

Edited by Matrix Dragon
  • Like 2

Awesome! I recall that room being so big that I wondered how I'd be able to get it on the table. You got any other ingame shots that cover the entire table? :)

Well, I was only able to cover the center portion of the map on my table. It was enough for the most part.

Luckily, those are cropped pictures so I do have a larger one...

post-8570-0-32565500-1363206972_thumb.jpg

That is one typical gaming table ya got there. :) Dice, cards, drinks, ... giant skull. :) Nice skull!

Hah, believe it or not that skull is just a pet cage decoration from Pet Smart that I thought would work perfectly as a prop for that room. It was exactly the right size, though technically I guess it isn't a "Serpent's Skull".