Sign in to follow this  
Clockhogg

Is it ok just to use matte sealer alone?

Ok, today I got my Reaper Bones, and painted my first miniature ever (Cave Troll)! So after painting it (with P3) I got my Krylon Matte Sealer ready, and looked up how to seal miniatures online. I read that I should use a gloss coat first, then matte. Now, as I only have matte, is it ok just to use matte sealer by its self, or do I really need a gloss coat? I have also read about "frosting." How can I prevent frosting?

Ok, today I got my Reaper Bones, and painted my first miniature ever (Cave Troll)! So after painting it (with P3) I got my Krylon Matte Sealer ready, and looked up how to seal miniatures online. I read that I should use a gloss coat first, then matte. Now, as I only have matte, is it ok just to use matte sealer by its self, or do I really need a gloss coat? I have also read about "frosting." How can I prevent frosting?

With the Bones you probably only need the matte. A lot of gaming folks use a gloss coat first because it leaves a harder finish then dull it down with a matte coat to kill the shine. Bones, from all accounts, don't really need to be sealed.

Matte sealer works fine by itself. Glosscoat offers more protection than dullcoat, which is why people put it down first, but the matte stuff is somewhat protective on its own. I only use matte sealer myself, in fact.

Frosting can happen when you spray aerosol sealers in poor conditions. Make sure you always spray in warm, dry conditions, or use brush-on sealer. The can should have instructions that include ideal conditions.

It depends on how you're painting and what type of matte sealer it is.

The reason many painters use gloss first is matte sealers tend to be enamel\alcohol based and this can mess up blending--especially thin glazes. If you're not trying to do fine blending then it doesn't matter. If you are and your matte is water or acrylic based then you'll be fine as well.

Also you really don't need to seal bones but there are several "experiment" threads on this forum and they're easily found.

Edited by MonkeySloth
  • Like 1

...The reason many painters use gloss first is matte sealers tend to be enamel\alcohol based and this can mess up blending--especially thin glazes. If you're not trying to do fine blending then it doesn't matter. If you are and your matte is water or acrylic based then you'll be fine as well...

Is this why my minis look a little faded/duller after they're sealed with matte spray?

I may just get a brush on sealer, as they seem to have no issues. I would like the assurance of knowing that the figure is protected, and don't really want to leave it un sealed.

• Like 1

In the arts we're taught to coat acrylic paintings with a gloss sealer even if we intend them to ultimately be matte, since matte media and varnishes are more permeable than gloss ones and don't protect the painting as well.