Fantasy Chess Set

dwarvenranger

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thing that bothers me about this, and I hate saying it as I've been a big fan of Mantics fantasy stuff since their early days, is that they've been pretty poor at communication when it comes to the after funding progress of their kickstarters, especially their Kings of War one.

This is Mantics third kickstarter and the new minis that were to be generated from their original Kings of War Kickstarter haven't even all been shown yet and are still months away from shipping.

Think about that. 8 months after funding and we still don't know what all the minis we pledged for will even look like, yet in that time they've managed to produce 2 new kickstarters.

Compare that to Stonehaven, which is only a 2 person operation. In less than 7 months they were able to sculpt over 20 minis and accessories, ship them out for casting, get them back and delivered to all their backers BEFORE launching their second successful project.

I know very well that Mantic is a very small company, but to me they seem to be pushing themselves a bit too hard. It really does feel like they're using the money from their previous kickstarters to fund subsequent ones rather than focusing on the work that needs to be done fulfilling those early projects as quickly as possible.

I knew going in as a backer for KoW that there would be a lengthy wait, but I thought that would be due Mantics limited resources for getting the minis designed, sculpted, and cast. NOT because they would be using their limited resources and newly acquired finances to fund new kickstarter projects.

VERY disappointed in Mantic. Won't even consider backing another project or buying anything more from them at retail until I have all my minis owed from them in hand.

Edited by Darsc Zacal
  • Like 2

Is Mantic actually behind on fulfilling pledges? A glance at kings of war showed their last shipping dates weren't until this may.

It also looks like Mantic is only manufacturing/distributing this. They aren't doing any of the design or sculpts. Given the ship day of December this kickstarter should have no impact at all on kings of war.

• Like 1

Yes, Mantic is only involved to KS and publishing. The actual games teams are still working on KoW and DB.

My experience with Mantic's Dreadball KS has been outstanding, they're probably the second best-run KS after Reaper. I got all my stuff very promptly and they dispatched one piece of acrylic that was damaged in shipping immediately.

Any issues from this KS will most likely be from Allessio.

My experience with Mantic's Dreadball KS has been outstanding, they're probably the second best-run KS after Reaper. I got all my stuff very promptly and they dispatched one piece of acrylic that was damaged in shipping immediately.

Well that's the problem isn't it. The backers of Mantics 2nd kickstarter, as you say, got all their stuff very promptly, while the backers of Mantics first kickstarter are still waiting to see what all their mini designs will even look like. If Mantic is able to accomplish such a quick turnaround, why were the KoW backers given such a lengthy fulfilment period at the outset? Why weren't the Dreaball backers given a fulfillment date sometime after the KoW pledge rewards were all shipped.

Even if Mantic isn't doing the sculpting and design of Alessios new product, they are working on managing the manufacturing and distribution of it. As I said, Mantic is a very small company. They should really be concentrating on ensuring ALL projects are closed as quickly as possible and not just on the flavours of the month.

If I had to guess Dreadball and Kings of War probably have different people working on them. If the sculptors Mantic hired for kings of war gave them a timeline that left enough time open for other staff to work with different sculptors and produce and manufacture another game why not? If it interfered with the Kings of war timeline it would be an issue. If it doesn't it's just an efficient use of time. Are you also mad because Reaper manufactured the legendary encounters bones before finishing the kickstarter ones? The situations seem highly comparable.

If I had to guess Dreadball and Kings of War probably have different people working on them. If the sculptors Mantic hired for kings of war gave them a timeline that left enough time open for other staff to work with different sculptors and produce and manufacture another game why not? If it interfered with the Kings of war timeline it would be an issue. If it doesn't it's just an efficient use of time. Are you also mad because Reaper manufactured the legendary encounters bones before finishing the kickstarter ones? The situations seem highly comparable.

It's the same sculptors and same staff for both KoW and Dreadball. As I said. Mantic have very limited staff and only work with a small group of sculptors.

And I think you're misunderstanding my frustration. It's not the fact that Mantic is working on multiple projects, as a business they have to do that. It's the case of the KoW kickstarter backers being put at the bottom of Mantics priority totem pole, with very little progress shown or upsates given during the past 8 months beyond only a handful of miniatures being sculpted and shown, with the finances being raised through that kickstarter obviously being used to help fund the early start of the Dreadball one.

Let me make it clear, I have no doubt that all the Mantic backers will eventually be getting all their miniatures. Although if there is ANY delay from the original expected date stated in the KoW kickstarter I do expect there to be hell to pay. As Mantic has had plenty of time to have all their "i"s dotted and "t"s crossed.

I know very well that Mantic is a very small company, but to me they seem to be pushing themselves a bit too hard. It really does feel like they're using the money from their previous kickstarters to fund subsequent ones rather than focusing on the work that needs to be done fulfilling those early projects as quickly as possible.

I knew going in as a backer for KoW that there would be a lengthy wait, but I thought that would be due Mantics limited resources for getting the minis designed, sculpted, and cast. NOT because they would be using their limited resources and newly acquired finances to fund new kickstarter projects.

VERY disappointed in Mantic. Won't even consider backing another project or buying anything more from them at retail until I have all my minis owed from them in hand.

I'm pretty sure this is NOT the case, and that Mantic have separate ring fenced accounts to hold the cash from the different ks projects just to avoid the possibility of this (I'll see if I can find the reference, and post it if I can)

@Orlando. I doubt that but I would be interested if you do have a quote of Mantics that comments on it.

And I think I'm going to stop commenting on this. I hate posting negativity, I've held back my thoughts on this topic for awhile now despite my strong feelings on how Mantic has handled their kickstarters. Bu this chess kickstarter was the straw that broke the camels back for me. If Mantic launches their Warpath kickstarter before the KoW backer rewards are shipped, then I really will lose it.

As I said earlier, I don't doubt the backers of the chess or any of Mantics other kickstarters will eventually get their miniatures. Do not let my rant here dissuade you from backing on that account. My complaint is with Mantics poor handling of KoW.

Edited by Darsc Zacal

Thanks for your comments, Darsc. I fully support the right to rant, especially if it helps others know what they may be getting into.

I'm trying to parse what you've said with what the Chess project says...they claim to have successfully completed two KS projects; I guess that simply means the KS campaign was successful, but says nothing for fulfillment? If so, that's quite misleading.

I'll have to do some more research; the chess set looks very cool, but I'd rather not support a delinquent manufacturer.

Darsc, I think it would be wrong not to say something. If someone had told me about EFS history before I backed then I would of saved alot of time energy and by the looks money. So thanks but I'm unsure if i will back this project.