Fantasy Chess Set

dwarvenranger

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Sanael. Let me clarify in case I was misunderstood.

Technically Mantic's not been delinquent with Kings of War. They have been very poor with reporting progress on it... They've actually been very poor with progressing with it all, but the big issue is the miniatures for the kickstarters add-ons. The dates these are expected are nebulous at best, with Ogres and Werewolves shipping sometime in early 2013, but there are A LOT of add ons featuring new miniatures with all new sculpts. We don't even have firm dates for when we can expect to see wips of most of these never mind such things as shipping and delivery dates.

That's where the frustration comes from.

As for the chess set, it looks like Alessio has had his own company design the game and sculptor working on this, so ironically you have more eye candy to look at with the just unveiled chess set than we do from a project unveiled 8 months ago.

Edited by Darsc Zacal

The chess set is extremely thematic and beautiful! It looks like an exceptional well sculpted set and which will be even better should the second stretch goal be unlocked and the alternate set replaces the "white" version of the fire theme. The firey board is also unique.

My dilemma is not in the set itself, nor is it with Mantic's capacity to fulfill any KS promises. No, my problem is that I just picked up an amazing Agate/Onyx chess board at an estate sale and I definitely have the miniatures to make plenty of different chess sets! If I hadn't scored the chess board, I might be heavily considering this, but now I can't justify the price.

Sorry Mantic!

I just noticed that a couple hours before this thread started Mantic posted something addressing the question of work flow between Dredball and Kings of War as well as the lack of pictures for Kings of War. Basically all different sculptors, 7x the tooling needed, finished sculpts are going straight to the tool maker to keep everything on schedule.

I just noticed that a couple hours before this thread started Mantic posted something addressing the question of work flow between Dredball and Kings of War as well as the lack of pictures for Kings of War. Basically all different sculptors, 7x the tooling needed, finished sculpts are going straight to the tool maker to keep everything on schedule.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm not sure the timeline they've listed is entirely accurate, nor how much time the main sculptors are spending on each line, but its nice to see Mantic finally starting to publicly respond to folks concerns and address a few issues.

If I had to guess Dreadball and Kings of War probably have different people working on them. If the sculptors Mantic hired for kings of war gave them a timeline that left enough time open for other staff to work with different sculptors and produce and manufacture another game why not? If it interfered with the Kings of war timeline it would be an issue. If it doesn't it's just an efficient use of time. Are you also mad because Reaper manufactured the legendary encounters bones before finishing the kickstarter ones? The situations seem highly comparable.

Now, the LE sculpts were going to be brought out as Bones regardless of the Kickstarter. It's not like they started a new KS project for them after the first had finished.

If I had to guess Dreadball and Kings of War probably have different people working on them. If the sculptors Mantic hired for kings of war gave them a timeline that left enough time open for other staff to work with different sculptors and produce and manufacture another game why not? If it interfered with the Kings of war timeline it would be an issue. If it doesn't it's just an efficient use of time. Are you also mad because Reaper manufactured the legendary encounters bones before finishing the kickstarter ones? The situations seem highly comparable.

Now, the LE sculpts were going to be brought out as Bones regardless of the Kickstarter. It's not like they started a new KS project for them after the first had finished.

What I was getting at is they are using their available resources in an efficient manner rather than have people twiddle their thumbs waiting for something they don't need to wait for. It would have been a waste on not to produce the LE Bone while the Kickstarter bones were having their molds made. The only benefit would be that you could say you didn't make any other new bones until the kickstarter was done.

Mantic is claiming different sculptors were being used, if true why sit around waiting for sculptor #1 to finish a huge project before you let sculptor #2 get to work on a smaller project? The only benefit is so that people don't get upset that the smaller project got released before the big project even though it started later. The big project is still on schedule but someone else got something first.

The only difference was that Reaper explained what they were doing better and Mantic merely said Dredball would not effect the King of war timeline without adding any details.

Seems like Mantic is doing a pretty crappy job with updates and keeping statues questions answered on kings of war. Based on Mantic role for this projected though it made me cringe that people wouldn't back this due to dredball being done before kings of war. I haven't any of the three.

Mantic Games will be publishing the game, handling all of the manufacturing and distribution leaving the Mantic Design Studio free to complete the Kings of War and DreadBall Kickstarter models.

From the Mantic email blast before the Loka KS went live.

Edited by CashWiley

Mantic Games will be publishing the game, handling all of the manufacturing and distribution leaving the Mantic Design Studio free to complete the Kings of War and DreadBall Kickstarter models.

From the Mantic email blast before the Loka KS went live.

For all we know Mantic is just a few dudes, they may call themselves Mantic Games, Mantic Design Studio, Mantic molding and casting workshop, Mantic logistic department and Mantic customer service limited but it will always be the same few dudes.

Starting their third kickstarter project is no excuse for delaying their first one and I hope they get everything ready within the next two months.

I'd like to see the four elements all opened up and the ability to trade one of the fire sets for the fourth set (for the pledge where you get 2x fire sets and 2x unlocked sets).

Actually, if they hit all 4 sets, that pledge nets you 2 (in the game box, 1 earth and 1 fire) and 2 extra sets of your choice! They said somewhere that once the Earth set gets unlocked, it replaces one of the fire sets in the game box. Let me just dig up a quote...Got it!

The 17 piece Earth Chess Set will be added to the LOKA Game Set replacing the White Fire Chess Set.
  • Like 1