How to begin to learn CAV

Mudslinger

Some buddies and I want to get into CAV. So, I have been doing some research on CAV here on the forums and I am very confused.

1.) Is CAV still supported or is it dead. None of us want to invest the models if its a 1/2 supported game.

2.) Is CAV 2.0 the latest iteration?

3.) Where are the data card for 2.0? I found some random link with BETA data cards, but..... /confused. Are these them?

4.) Is CAV 2.0 still in BETA?

5.) Are there any organized sites pertaining to CAV/2.0? The reaper site very confusing except for buying models and downloading a rule book.

Can get I simple list of links with the various resources (and a simple description of each) needed to begin introducing myself and other to CAV/2.0 rules and playing a game?

Thanks all.

Edited by Mudslinger

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't count on Reaper making an announcement on when a product will be available. They've shot themselves in the foot too many times doing that. C:SO was originally announced sometime in 2010, no telling when it will be ready.

CAV2 was a final product, but there were a couple of sets of errata published as CAV RAGE Chronicle '07 and '08 that updated and fixed some issues from the published (in .pdf only) version of CAV2. Those cards with the Beta watermark should be the most current ones, they were never declared to be out of beta but they work just fine. The best way to tell is whether or not the models have a stat line for EDV (electronic defense value).

There is no further development for CAV2, but personally I think after RAGE Chronicles 08 it didn't need any other major rules changes. I find CAV2 to be quite enjoyable and will continue to play it.

The links you'll need are in the forums, but I don't have them handy at the moment.

For the time being, if you're still interested in CAV2 there is a force building utility and some other links at cavcomcon.com that will generate printable force lists with datacards. I just tried it though and there seems to be some server issues.

• Like 1

• Reaper User

CAV: Strike Operations will be out in its final form by this summer. Im not signing up any more playtesters at this point. We are kicking the tires right now to fine tune the rules and will have an announcment after ReaperCon late April/early May as to what we are doing with the game so please stayed tuned.

• Reaper User

I would also like to point out that we will be running CAV: SO at ReaperCon so make sure you stop by and play a game or two. Im hoping to have a few copies of the new Emperor resculpt to hand out here and there so keep your fingers crossed.

• Like 1

• Reaper User

Jon... Seriously? Then again I am not surprised... Do not make this a contest.

-- I guess Im trying to figure out how you would even consider this could be a contest? While I understand you have decided to become the posterboy for CAV2 and make a point to go out of your way to take a dig at me (for whatever reason...I don't even know who you are), at some point you need to realize that CAV: SO is the future of this game line and is the direction that has been decided on (with no official effort being spent on CAV 1.0 or 2.0)and dictated by the powers that be at Reaper Miniatures. So yes, you are setting up some CAV2 events as that's the game you like to play, just like people we have that will be running AD&D 2nd Edition, but the official CAV events will be held in the main building throughout the show. If I so desire I will post in a thread to bring that to peoples attention. As the CAV forum moderator its one of the perks that goes with the job.

Maybe you both could decide to be friends and sort out the times so that there is little or no schedule overlap?

I kinda doubt that either of you wants to be running CAV games continuously throughout the con. If attendees get to try both rules variants during the event that seems like a good thing. Doesn't matter to the Big Stompy Robot, yearning to be sold and escape from his blister pack, what rules he gets used with. He just wants to wind up on a tabletop someday. :B):

• Like 1

It wasn't really an issue for me till you went on your little forum purge and your very obvious attempts to stomp on anyone who wanted to discuss the older systems. Your constant passive aggressive posts also are not doing you any favors. I actually look forward to meeting you as I understand that on the internet people are different then in real life.

@TGP Who knows... I am open to being friendly but that has to go both ways.... I'm actually more interested in running other games due to the drama being caused but my CAV 2 games are still on.