recruittons

60036: Visbaroness Delour Aulamaxa, 02957: Darkrasp, Death Priest (Winter Exchange)

So, Dispatchdave painted me up a couple of minis for the Winter Exchange. These things are... I cannot express just how much I love these.

The colors used on Darkrasp are gorgeous. I love his skintone in particular. The robes are wonderful and (since things were a bit rubbed off when he got here), I touched up his chains and scythe. I did the scythe with a very pale blue, white brushed on top in a streaky pattern.

The visbaronesses face is my favorite bit (after that, the lovely autumn color selection). It's just stunning. the puffed up, slightly reddened cheeks, the perfect eyes, the amazing hair.

DD, you've seriously made me happy. Thank you so much for the fantastic miniatures!

post-8231-0-93580600-1362002287.jpgpost-8231-0-59424300-1362002294.jpg

• Like 22

Wow. I think those look better than when I had them in person. The opera singer took me a while to paint, mainly because I had a hard time focusing. Once I sat down with it, and forced myself to bust it out, it went well.

I'm really happy with her face. I can't believe how well her eyes turned out! Thanks DaVInci brushes! I thought I totally messed up the eyes when I put the pupil on (I thought I had covered her iris). Turns out, I left just enough green in the eyes to look amazing.

As far as my colors, the lady was painted with Sun Yellow and Blood Red (in various combinations for the oranges, with a little Oiled Leather), Leaf Green on the iris (the only place green is on the mini), Blue Liner and Linen White for the hair. The pinks on the face and tongue, as well as the dress highlights were Blood Red and Linen White (no clue on the ratio, I mixed until I was satisfied with the color). The flesh was down with Rosy Skin (or whatever the latest rose-flesh variant is), with Tanned Skin for the shadows (I think, it may have been one of the other tanned skin triad paints).

I can't remember exactly which paints I used on Darkrasp (I think I used Sapphire Blue mixed with Linen White for all gradients of blue), but I wanted him to be all wintery (since it's the Winter Exchange). I messed up pinning his hand, but it looks like you fixed him right up. I think I'm most happy with his robes, and his face. I like the blue skin tone, and the eyebrows. I think if I did this color scheme again, I would darken the shadows on his robe (maybe a subtle blue ink wash), but it was a lot of fun making this almost monochrome.

Recruittons, I'm glad you like these. I was a little worried (only a little), but that's mostly general paranoia. :)

Also, thanks for running the exchanges. I enjoy them every time (well, once I'm done stressing about it).

-Dave

ETA: Slendertroll, thanks!

Edited by dispatchdave
  • Like 9

On Darkrasp, did you shade down from white, or highlight up from blue? It looks like the former, but it can be hard to tell.

I think I'd be inclined to just hit the flat white base with a blue wash and call it good, maybe hit the highlights with white again. But then I'm pretty impatient.

• Like 2

I started with white primer, and then started to shade down. After shading, I went back and highlighted up to Linen White. If i recall, there was quite a bit of back nad forth until I was happy with it. I considered a blue ink wash, but decided against it, as I don't like the way it unevenly coats the larger areas (ink's are great for recesses and things, but I dislike how they spread on big flat (less-detailed, anyway) areas).

You're method would be much, much faster, but I would be less satisfied with the results.

-DD

ETA: The Opera Singer's base was made from the new HA Inn and Accessories mold (one has a few wood planks). Painted with apple barrel paints.

Edited by dispatchdave
  • Like 2

I love that Visbaronetess mini. That's a fun version of it.

I hadn't noticed until I bought a copy, it says it's Pathfinder. Is there an image of her in the Pathfinder game somewhere perchance? This I have got to see.

• Like 1

Derp! I come onto your thread of gorgeous paint jobs and talk about everything but.

I love how you used Linen White as a highlight. It looks like a really useful color. And mixing the dress colors from two colors of paint ensures that they are harmonious.

The monochrome on the blue guy is impressive. It's tricky to pull off, and you did it well.

• Like 2

Nope! I reject this compliment as Dispatchdave was the mastermind behind these gorgeous minis. And anybody who comes here, if you would be so kind as to skip liking the OP and instead like Dispatchdave's first post in this thread, I'd really appreciate it ::D:

• Like 2

I love that Visbaronetess mini. That's a fun version of it.

I hadn't noticed until I bought a copy, it says it's Pathfinder. Is there an image of her in the Pathfinder game somewhere perchance? This I have got to see.

Council of Thieves Adventure Path, Episode 2, "The Sixfold Trial". She's on the cover.

• Like 2

Derp! I come onto your thread of gorgeous paint jobs and talk about everything but.

I love how you used Linen White as a highlight. It looks like a really useful color. And mixing the dress colors from two colors of paint ensures that they are harmonious.

The monochrome on the blue guy is impressive. It's tricky to pull off, and you did it well.

Your comments on my colors are most appreciated (no offense to others, but you're a professional classical (I think) artist). And yes, Linen White is extraordinarily useful. I prefer it over a pure white for everything so far (I may change my mind if I tackle NMM).

ETA: One other note on the Visbaronetess (I hate spelling that...), her eyes in the sculpt are closed, which made it so much easier to paint my eyes on.

Edited by dispatchdave
  • Like 1

Nope! I reject this compliment as Dispatchdave was the mastermind behind these gorgeous minis. And anybody who comes here, if you would be so kind as to skip liking the OP and instead like Dispatchdave's first post in this thread, I'd really appreciate it ::D:

I did that first thing, but because of the forum reboot a couple of days back nobody can see it.

• Like 1

Your comments on my colors are most appreciated (no offense to others, but you're a professional classical (I think) artist). And yes, Linen White is extraordinarily useful. I prefer it over a pure white for everything so far (I may change my mind if I tackle NMM).

I have a Reaper pistol case for paints, I use that for stashing the paint for my current projects while I'm in winter mode (aka the living room by the woodstove). Four permanent residents are Pure White/Black and Linen White/Walnut Brown. My cool and warm blacks and whites.

edit: had cool and warm backwards, respectively!

Edited by CashWiley
  • Like 2

I probably shouldn't say, but the original idea for the exchange was to have Darkrasp summoning the Snow Goons... but my wife stole the Snow Goons and wouldn't relinquish them. :eyeroll:

-DD

• Like 2