Pretty good reviews covering paint from the big 4

SamuraiJack

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with his assessment of the 4 paint lines in the first video. Reaper and P3 are superior in every regard, I just happen to prefer to diversity of the Reaper line, and the fact that they are matte finish. I do not like satin finish which I've always gotten from every other line. I was a die hard Vallejo guy until Reaper sent me some free samples with some orders; that did Vallejo in.

I think General Splatton could benefit from a professional public speaking organization such as Toastmasters.

Yeah, I'm on board with his verdict as well. I use P3 and Reaper almost exclusively, with metallics and a few other colours from Army Painter. I've tried the others, and I've had the same problems with VGC that he mentions (the separation thing drives me nuts), and dislike Citadel's pots so much that after only 2 or 3, I'm more or less put off for good. I've found that mixing my P3s with a little bit of Army Painter matte varnish knocks down the shine that he mentions significantly, as well.

Nice videos.

I own some of the Game colors because they had better longevity than the old screw-top GW paints, and they provided a pretty good color match when I wanted to repeat an old paint scheme. He is absolutely right about the separation thing. (And I do own a paint shaker...)

These days I use about 75% Reaper paint. P3 is my go-to spray primer. Maybe I will pick up a few more of their paints to try them out too.

Edited by klarg1

The first video is pretty much my experience. I loath Game Color because of the separation, though I've got many Model Colors that do the same (Stone Gray I'm looking at you).

I've actually began to cut down on many of my similar colors that are just a tad off (except for grays because mixing those consistently sucks like nothing else). A buddy in my gaming group that's been, slowly, getting into painting is getting a present tonight of 10 pots.

• Like 2

These days I use about 75% Reaper paint. P3 is my go-to spray primer. Maybe I will pick up a few more of their paints to try them out too.

Their off whites are great and some of the best. I also can't live without the Sanguine set.

Sanguines, coal black, frostbite, carnal pink, menoth white set, bastion grey, heartfire and arcane blue are all pretty irreplaceable in my opinion. They also have a staggering number of amazing greens and browns for such a small line, and I've never seen anything like blighted gold (see my bones dwarf in snow's helmet) from the other companies. This may be because I'm pretty new though. :p

Did either of the videos mention flavor? I find P3 to be a little more savory than the others.

Serious: I don't know of any stores in the area selling Reaper paints, but definitely like the squeeze droppers over the open P3 bottles. I've tried a few from other sources (Tamiya, vallejo, and the evil empire) and found that their paint to be generally bad (clumpy and dense). It may be that I was buying old/expired paint from local stores that have sat for years. I have mostly P3 paints, and only one pot out of thirty was congealed in that fashion.

I am debating how many more paints I'd actually need- I think I have all of the major colors covered (and can sort of mix shades within them). I'll likely only buy reaper from here on out and the reaper triads seem useful, but I just don't know if I need any more.

Blasphemy! You always need more paints. Always. Even if you have one bottle of every color, you could always use a spare bottle or two of some colors, like oiled leather.

So true! I just found that my pure black and black primer are down to the last few drops. (Star Wars minis bases...)

And I do have almost every color except about half the Heavy Gear set.

Blasphemy! You always need more paints. Always. Even if you have one bottle of every color, you could always use a spare bottle or two of some colors, like oiled leather.

I really only keep spares of Reaper's paint on primers and Sealer due to how much I use them. After 2 and a half years I just only threw away my first empty pot of non-primer paint which was GW's Chaos Black as half of it had dried (haven't had that issue with any other GW paint).

A helpful tip for those getting P3 paints. Use blister pack foam to open them. It will keep your hands paint free and the foam is strong enough not to rip after a few uses.

A helpful tip for those getting P3 paints. Use blister pack foam to open them. It will keep your hands paint free and the foam is strong enough not to rip after a few uses.

I do not understand what you mean. I don't have any issues opening P3 bottles.