Sign in to follow this  
Erifnogard

Bones Gnoll Warrior (77012) converted from flail to spear

I bought an extra Bones gnoll warrior with flail to convert to carrying a spear instead.  Pretty simple conversion, I just cut the flail off above and below the paw and drilled through where the remaining haft was gripped in his hand being careful not to damage the fingers.  Then I took a length of Evergreen brand plastic rod and forced it through the resulting hole.  It gripped it so well that I probably could get away without gluing it at all but I did put a small drop of CA glue just to be sure.  Then I drilled a hole in the tip of the pole.  Next I dug up a piece of spikey frippery intended for a 40k Chaos Rhino and cut one of the spikes off.  Then I drilled a hole in its base.  I glued a pin made from a paper clip in the hole on the end of the pole and then glued the spike on the pin as a spear tip.  This spear is pretty chunky but since the Bones gnolls are a bit larger than the gnolls I already own I am planning to use them as Fiendish gnolls to lead the others so I think it appropriate that he's carrying a massive skewering spear.  At any rate, I'm pleased with the conversion and it took all of 15 minutes, including digging around looking for something to use for a spear tip.  This conversion was easy enough and turned out well enough that I'm sorely tempted to pick up 3 or 4 more flail gnolls for conversion to spear carriers.

On a side note, I only took pics of the finished product because I had a devil of a time getting the Bones material to show up with detail rather than as a white blob.  The pics I finally settled on are still pretty crappy but at least you can see what's going on with the conversion.  Ironically, I screwed around trying to get pics to post longer than it took to do the conversion.

post-7951-0-03126400-1362110717_thumb.jpg

post-7951-0-20704500-1362110726_thumb.jpg

Edited by Erifnogard
  • Like 5

Great work! I love seeing well converted pieces and can't wait to do some of my own.

On a side note, I only took pics of the finished product because I had a devil of a time getting the Bones material to show up with detail rather than as a white blob. The pics I finally settled on are still pretty crappy but at least you can see what's going on with the conversion. Ironically, I screwed around trying to get pics to post longer than it took to do the conversion.

Yeah... I had this same problem with the werewolf I re-based earlier. I'm going to try making a light box soon to see if it helps, but probably not. It also doesn't help that I'm just using the camera built in to my phone...

VERY NICELY DONE conversion! Plastic minis lend themselves WONDERFULLY to personalizing...all those lovely Reaper Weapons Packs will come in really handy. OH THE POSSIBILITIES!

I look forward to seeing the Big Guy all painted up.

Yeah... I had this same problem with the werewolf I re-based earlier. I'm going to try making a light box soon to see if it helps, but probably not. It also doesn't help that I'm just using the camera built in to my phone...

The only way I found to get detail to show was to have no direct light on the figure with a non-white background. Of course I also don't know diddly about taking pictures other than aim and shoot and like you I'm using my phone camera so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone!