Sign in to follow this  
JackMann

02700 Tox

I asked some friends what I should paint next, and wizard was the unanimous choice. I chose Tox, 02700, because I felt the robes would give me plenty of practice actually trying to get the colors to blend for shading.

wizardfront_zps027771d6.jpg

For once, I'm actually pretty happy with the eyes. Those I'm going to have to be very careful about not hitting. The orb in his hand I'm going to shade down to red. The one in the staff I'm less sure about as yet. The staff itself will be getting an intense brown drybrush (it's currently painted walnut brown, not very different from the black primer).

I'm mostly satisfied with the basic look of the sleeves, though obviously I'm going to have to do a lot of clean-up there.

wizardback_zpsde5db97a.jpg

Sorry the picture's not quite as good here, but you get the general idea. The dragon on the back is a slight metallic; I mixed a dab of copper in with some carnage red. I'll work some highlights in. I was thinking maybe a heavier copper mix for the highlights. Anyone tried anything like that before? Is this a good idea? The dragon on his shoulder is carnage red, and it's going to get some black mixed in.

Any thoughts, recommendations?

• Like 3

Okay, went ahead and finished him. Only got a couple more in-progress pictures.

wizardshadedfront_zps514d9a2d.jpg

wizardshadedback_zps827cd4ca.jpg

These two are right after I applied the GW shades. Love that stuff. Camoshade in the robe, with just a little bit of crimson in the deepest folds, some nuln oil in the hair, it really brought out that detail.

wizardhighlightsfront_zpsa9ed982f.jpg

wizardhighlightsback_zps3cc1de2f.jpg

These are where I've gotten a foundation on the highlights. It took me a while, but I think I've finally figured out blending.

I've posted the Show-Off Thread here.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By spitfire23bc
      This is one I've had "in progress" for ages. I finally mustered the courage to tackle all the eyes and then had fun with drool!

• By Kangaroorex
      Just thought i would put these up to show off the new party making their way through saltmarsh.  A party of six graduates from the civilized lands, roped into fulfilling a debt by their mentors.  At least they are working together...  they arent my finest work but for 6 hours of painting, they will do nicely for our little gaming group and the group enjoyed the surprise of coming to their second session to discover they all had custom painted minis!

we have a Halfling fighter
      an elven thief with a fixation for daggers
      a halfling bard
      the blue dragonborn priest of Protos
      the black Dragonborn warlock (had to create the head.  I couldnt find a dragonborn mini with an 8 strength...)
      and a Human ranger from the backstreets and slums

hope you enjoy them, i dont know how long they will last....

• By Maglok
      Another villager from me. :) This is a 03856 Townsfolk: Courtesan

Got this one done at a painting day in about 3 hours of work, but interrupted by cups of tea. :)
    • By Dae
      I recently finished Anirion! It was time to add layering to my toolbox of techniques and he seems to be the go-to model for learning.

Since by I now have (just) over 10 minis under my belt, I'm obviously an expert  so I felt confident enough to go with my own colors rather than the ones in the instructions (from Layer-Up kit). Still, even with my "vast experience", I've only painted beasts and monsters so far -- no fancy clothing on any of them -- so I was a bit nervous about messing up my first hero, but you gotta start somewhere. 

I think he turned out great, but it went nothing like the videos one might find... And by that I mean it took me several painting sessions over a few weeks to finish him.

More on how it went on: pocketsizedadventurers.wordpress.com/2019/10/19/anirions-wavy-robes/  *

* First post, woo-hoo! Still finding my way around here. Rules seem to allow non-commercial external links, let me know if I'm wrong... Our blog, Pocket-Sized Adventurers, features the works of two newbies and is meant to keep track of our progress and share our experience with whomever might find it helpful.
    • By aku-chan
      Presenting Mary Jo, a member of the River Widows faction from Reapers Dreadmere setting.

Had a lot of fun painting this one, and as a bonus she turned out pretty decent too!

As always, any comments or criticisms are warmly received.
  • Who's Online   18 Members, 0 Anonymous, 35 Guests (See full list)