14592: Sable Guard

recruittons

Last night I couldn't sleep. Instead, between 10pm and 2am I painted this little lady. I love this model. The halfling is just fantastic and the fact that I am painting a sable just makes me laugh a little.

Anyway, looking now, I can see some issues with the cloak I'm going to have to fix. EDIT: Okay, did some work on the cloak! I think it's much nicer

post-8231-0-56343900-1362268169.jpgpost-8231-0-39988800-1362268172.jpg

I want C&C, so whatever you got, I'd love to heard it ::D:

Edited by recruittons
  • Like 17

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work! I like the eyes on the girl and think the sword looks great too.

My newbie suggestions:

1. As you already commented, the blending on the cloak could use some smoothing out. I expect a mix between your shade color and base blue over some of the black, followed by a glaze over the whole thing would do wonders.

2. IMHO, the fur could also use a bit of light dry brushing to make the texture stand out a bit more.

Edit: wow, you're fast. Agreed, the rework on the cloak helps a lot!

Edited by Slashhamster
  • Like 1

I agree about the fur, except when researching sable this was the image I decided to use as inspiration...

sable_mammal.jpg

They have such a dark fur with an incredibly rich, yet simplistic coloring, I struggled to make it stand out as much as I have already. I'd really love to know a good way to help it though ::D:

• Like 1

Haha thank you for the compliments!

I have actually solved the fur issue with the texturing! Instead of trying to bring the highlights higher, I'm just going to wash down the texture so that it's more rich depth added through shadow rather than light ::D:

EDIT: Redambrosia: She seems to be about a human-sized mini. It's hard to tell without really measuring, but she approximately measures up with my other humans, but not my dwarves, etc.

Edited by recruittons

Alright, you asked for it so here comes as thorough an assessment as I can make on this piece. If any of this comes off as overly direct, you have my apologies and just let me know to tone it down. The goal of this critique is to help you get where you indicated you want to go.

Solid

The eyes - great job on a tough, tough part to get done well.

Expression & attitude - you captured a playful look on the halfling's face and I think you pulled if off well.

Color palette - Excellent choices with the warmers 'leather brown' tones warming up the cool greens and blues.

NMM sword - nicely done!

Areas of Improvement

The sable's face - DKS gave me some great feedback on fur patterns once before on my Privateer Press War Wolf. I'd like to recommend that you closely look at your inspirational picture and note that while the face is patterned, there are areas of variation and transition that are smoother than the stark transition you have.

NMM shield - The metal looks a bit flat and could use some additional (really thin) glazes to smooth out the transition. Blue liner is great for this. I'd also like to see some brighter grey-white shading toward the top of the shield. I understand the stark white reflection you placed, but the surroundings need some work.

NMM sword - again, nicely done, but where's the sword's edge. Some hot highlights in the right place will help that.

Her hair - Not sure what you were going for here but it didn't come off right. I think you were going for black hair, but instead of getting highlights, it looks more like she has streaks of grey???

• Like 1

Alright, you asked for it so here comes as thorough an assessment as I can make on this piece. If any of this comes off as overly direct, you have my apologies and just let me know to tone it down. The goal of this critique is to help you get where you indicated you want to go.

Solid

The eyes - great job on a tough, tough part to get done well.

Expression & attitude - you captured a playful look on the halfling's face and I think you pulled if off well.

Color palette - Excellent choices with the warmers 'leather brown' tones warming up the cool greens and blues.

NMM sword - nicely done!

Areas of Improvement

The sable's face - DKS gave me some great feedback on fur patterns once before on my Privateer Press War Wolf. I'd like to recommend that you closely look at your inspirational picture and note that while the face is patterned, there are areas of variation and transition that are smoother than the stark transition you have.

NMM shield - The metal looks a bit flat and could use some additional (really thin) glazes to smooth out the transition. Blue liner is great for this. I'd also like to see some brighter grey-white shading toward the top of the shield. I understand the stark white reflection you placed, but the surroundings need some work.

NMM sword - again, nicely done, but where's the sword's edge. Some hot highlights in the right place will help that.

Her hair - Not sure what you were going for here but it didn't come off right. I think you were going for black hair, but instead of getting highlights, it looks more like she has streaks of grey???

Sable's Face: You're totally right. It's too flat. I went ahead and made some changes. It has a LOT more character now ::D:

NMM Shield: I fixed the grey-white at the top and tried to adjust the blending on the midline/bottom of the shield. I'll have a new pic soonish to see if it's any better.

NMM Sword: The edge is really hard to pick out on this because the sculpt itself is almost perfectly flat. It's like the sword shape was cut out of a piece of paper, there is no real taper to the tip. I did my best to get an edge on it though.

Her hair: You're right, I was going for black, but I've been only recently learning how to paint black, and NEVER on hair, so this is a real learning experience. I redid the hair, but it still looks... odd when trying to surround the white with touches of blended grey. Any tips for this?

Edited by recruittons

Okay! Changed a few things (as per Adrift's wonderful C&C) and I think the piece is stronger now. ::D:

My apologies to whoever approves inspiration gallery images. Also, I just noticed that my replacing the first image has removed it from the Sable Guard product page, I hope the new one makes it's way back in!

Edited by recruittons

Because I'm aiming to assemble a Sisterhood force I've been looking at this mini for a while now. I think its a human rider, so a dire sable.

Your paint work did a lot to improve my opinion of the model.

Also next time try searching for "marten animal", lots of interesting furs around.

Edited by ObsidianCrane
  • Like 1