14592: Sable Guard

recruittons

@OC: Thank you! I will say, the one real gripe I have is that the space between the rider and cloak (just behind the shield) is empty. I mean, there is metal in there, but there is no detail. No shape. No indication of clothes being delineated. It's just an unsculpted part of the model not-so-hidden. I just painted that whole inside area black and called it good because I just didn't have it in me to put something more in there :lol:

@Zoroaster: Thanks! And believe me, it's an improvement :;):

Edited by recruittons

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Her hair - Not sure what you were going for here but it didn't come off right. I think you were going for black hair, but instead of getting highlights, it looks more like she has streaks of grey???

Her hair: You're right, I was going for black, but I've been only recently learning how to paint black, and NEVER on hair, so this is a real learning experience. I redid the hair, but it still looks... odd when trying to surround the white with touches of blended grey. Any tips for this?

I thought that was deliberate. I like a few streaks of grey in dark hair, adds some real character. Every adventurer isn't 20 :).

• Like 1

Crutons - my limited experience re: hilighting black hair with grey and white is DON'T! It's hard to pull off, an more often than not you're just going to wind up with aging streaks. Try a very very dark blue, or (my preferred) P3 Coal Black, which is a very dark teal, then brought up to a near-white blue (I use P3 Frostbite, but I know reaper makes some good light blues.)

There's a great hair tutorial here: http://handcannononline.com/blog/2011/04/20/tutorial-basics--glorious-locks-painting-hair/

Black is 2/3 down the page.

• Like 1

Awesome! Thank you ::D:

Sadly, the link you put up brings me to a 404 page on his website.

The hell? Ok, well if you google "miniature painting black hair" it should be one of the first links, and it should work... I'm looking at it right now.

Edited by Baugi

@JCJ: Thank you! Painting the sable was an odd challenge due to their fur, but it came out alright. The face is the bit I'm most proud of ::D:

@Baugi: I found it, took his advice, and painted the highlights using the blue/white he recommended. Not used to doing it, and her hair is wavy and odd, but I think it looks okay. Thanks for the tip!

Fantastic job on the facial fur! I might do a bit of dry-brushy highlights on the dark fur as well. Just personal opinion, though--going off your reference pic, there is minimal if any highlighting, so if you were aiming to match that, you are spot on! I might humbly suggest a bit lighter brown for the reins as well. They blend in a bit on the front shot on my monitor.

Edited by Jabberwocky
  • Like 1