Sign in to follow this  
Pragma

That wet palette smell

Using a sandwich meat plastic container (seals nicely), paper towel and parchment. I don't tend to keep it around for a long time, just use it to keep stuff wet for an extended painting session.

As for sponges, the ones we use with dishes I will take every now and then, soak it with water, wring it out so that it is damp, and microwave it briefly. Not sure how long. I start with 5 or 10 secs, and go more until the thing is seriously warm. Steam cleaning!

I tried it with a ceramic plate, paper towel and parchment. Worked pretty good, and afforded me a lot more space than my small tupperware palette. I put some saran wrap over it and it kept the paints fresh for over a week; actually I had to remove the wrap to let them dry out so I could throw them out. Never added any more water, so it seems effective for the span of a project.

I still like the tupperware option best, because I can easily slap the lid on it at a moment's notice and not waste wrap. But the plate version is a nice alternative when I want to lay out a lot of stuff for blending or whatever.

I would like to apologize.

I've been, well, a little aloof about wet palettes, considering them useful but a little fussy. I fear I have been needlessly dismissive of them.

This weekend for the first time I painted upstairs in the warm, instead of in my studio in the cool, dank cellar.

I was atonished at how fast my paints dry up here. My self-satisfied little advice about spritzing the palette with water proved completely insufficient for the task.

I would like to thank everyone who has developed this brilliant way of preserving paints, including whichever geniuses first thought them up and brought them to market.

And I would like to apologize for my parochialism.

• Like 1