Buglips's Bones WIP Request Thread

I have an eye for detail. It was the feet (touching the ground) and the teeth that stood out with the old vs new.

The new ones are the speed painting, but what about the old one, how long did it take to paint in all, if you can remember?

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've bumped the Green Flit ahead of the gnoll and the minotaur. I'm working on my final two Ogres for a while, and doing some new experiments. One of these looks like he's going to turn out okay, but his skintone is a Coat D'Arms colour that's a little weird. I'm still getting to know it and make it behave, and it's bogged me down a little. So Flit here is the furthest away from a humanoid on the list, and makes a good break. Also, I get one of my four remaining Flits done.

post-3313-0-00543000-1366246879_thumb.jpg

Now the base colour I want to use for his green is old Pro Paint Elven Green. This is dark, but also a nice rich green and I think it'll make for a better result than I'd get if I just darkened one of my other greens. Darkening tends to flatten the colour a bit. I used this paint on Takhisimat's green head, and learned some lessons. 1. This colour has poor coverage over white. 2. It can sometimes be prone to crackling when it dries. For my blue Flit, I have a Breonne Navy for the basecoat with similar properties.

So I wanted to see if I could counteract both these effects, and that should solve the issue for both dracos, so I decided to basecoat the Flitster entirely in Reaper Brown Liner:

post-3313-0-04783400-1366247077_thumb.jpg

This task completed, I set about getting the green on. I thinned this a little thinner than I did with Takky's green head, in the hopes that this might combat the crackling issue (which seems to come from paint being too thick in application). This means more coats, and more time. So I didn't get all of it done, but I got most of one side done. I'll finish the rest in the morning.

post-3313-0-98136800-1366247171_thumb.jpg

The green seemed to behave itself well, and when I highlight up using the techniques from Takky's green head I think Flit here ought to turn out real nice.

• Like 4

I have an eye for detail. It was the feet (touching the ground) and the teeth that stood out with the old vs new.

The new ones are the speed painting, but what about the old one, how long did it take to paint in all, if you can remember?

Oh, and to answer this I don't really remember but I think he was pretty quick. Probably under an hour. I might have noted the time in my Bones show-off thread, not sure. The new ones took a little longer because I wanted to improve them a bit, so they're almost whole new prototypes as if I'd never done the first one. Additional new trolls should be faster, but there won't be any more miniatures from the First 29 for another year or so while I chew my way through the kickstarter.

So I finished off Flit's basecoat of green. Overall it went on okay, but some parts did exhibit a strange patchy lightening effect. I don't suspect this will be a problem, as most of this shadow layer will be disguised under midtone anyway. Not sure what caused that effect - could be anything from age of the paint to idiot goblin error.

Anyway, so going based on what I did with Takky's green head, I decided to make the midtone layer Coat D'Arms Goblin Green.

post-3313-0-18212600-1366289445_thumb.jpg

That's some of it done there. I roughly picked out the scales individually, and then with my paint thinned to basecoat ratio (3 parts paint to one thinner) I put some on my brush and very lightly dragged it over the scales - first in one direction (towards the head) and then the other way (head to tail), This helped get good coverage over the scales without filling in the cracks.

However, I thought the transition looked a bit stark. This was also a question I had when I did the Tak-head, and that turned out okay. But Flit's a lot bigger, so I decided to do some experiments to test a few ideas, which would also incidentally give me useful info for when I get back to the Tak. So I decided the best way to find out if I was still on the right track or about to wander straight into the brambles was to paint in the wing membranes and front chest scales. For this I used the same mix of 2 parts CDA Barbarian Leather to 1 part pro paint Ruddy Flesh that I've been using on Takhisimat.

post-3313-0-24406800-1366289461_thumb.jpg

So that turned out okay, and gave me more confidence in how the green will look. Any time you run into an issue that looks a bit sketchy, don't be afraid to stop that part and move on to try some of your other planned colours. If a scheme isn't going to work, best find it out before you've gone and done all the parts on a mini you might have to change.

Also, when I do fillwork like the membranes where I want to preserve the lining, I like to start from the center of an area and work my way out towards the edge. Where edges may be indistinct, this can help you judge the evenness of the line you want to preserve. I took a snap of the very start of that process in case it might be of some help:

post-3313-0-72238500-1366289453_thumb.jpg

So for the next little bit I'll be finishing off that green and the ruddy/leather bits. When those are done I'll come back to show the result and then move to the next steps.

• Like 7

post-3313-0-91845700-1366367599_thumb.jpg

Some progress. I've pretty much finished off his midtone green, except near the tip of the tail. A few spots on his wing also need some touch-up. The wing membranes and plate scales are now also done (huge pain in the butt), but might also need another once-over to be ready for highlights. I put some CDA barbarian leather down on his base in preparation for his "woodland base" since he's a woodland dragon. I'll fill it in after I'm sure the green is done.

I also did a little bit of his horn and spines, but the mix was too light. It's 50/50 CDA barbarian leather and CDA bone - but I think for Red Flit it was 2:1.

I find the Flits to be timeburglers, but this one isn't quite as bad as Red Flit. And anyway, I only have 5 to do in total.

Also, proof I'm really for real painting both sides:

post-3313-0-05245700-1366367612_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I have not painted in years but backed up the kickstarter and now have hundreds of minis heading my way. This thread and others like it are perfect for walkin me through the steps to get back into painting. Thank you for your xtra effort in makin these tutorials / guides.

• Like 3

well, I have a green, red, black, and white Flit headed my direction (okay, so they are all white at the moment, but I'm gonna change that) Which brings me to a question for you Buggy. are you going to leave Black Flit the same as all the others, or have you give thought to alterations to give him the forward curved horns?

• Like 1

I have not painted in years but backed up the kickstarter and now have hundreds of minis heading my way. This thread and others like it are perfect for walkin me through the steps to get back into painting. Thank you for your xtra effort in makin these tutorials / guides.

Awesome! That's why I do them. When more of the Kickstarters get delivered we should see a lot of similar threads pop up, and those might be a little more helpful since you'll have many of the same exact mini to compare with. There will also be a couple of special tutorials done by a few of us based on what comes in the Vampire package, and those should help showcase some good starting points and different approaches.

As well, there should be some Group WIP threads where anybody can join in and paint up the same model. Those are tremendous fun, we had a test run of one last year with the Bones Ogre. Feel free to jump in on one of those if you want, more the merrier!

• Like 1

post-3313-0-67885000-1366514376_thumb.jpg

And he creeps towards completion. Basecoating is the time consuming part here, once highlighting starts it ought to go pretty quickly. So his midtone of CDA Goblin Green is done. I also did the horns and spines with the 2:1 CDA Barbarian Leather to CDA Bone - and that's the shade I was looking for. No doubt I'll forget this formula again on the next flit.

The dorsal fin needs some touch-up, but I'll clean that up after I'm done highlighting some other stuff. I also pinked his mouth in preparation for "monstering" it with a wash of Coat D'Arms flesh wash.

The wing membranes and body plate scales still need a going over, but it's minor so shouldn't take long. I'm just too tired to mess with it now. But if I'm lucky, I can finish Flit tomorrow.

• Like 5

Also, proof I'm really for real painting both sides

How do we know you didn't just mirror the image!?!?!

I also did the horns and spines with the 2:1 CDA Barbarian Leather to CDA Bone

Yes, the horns fit in a lot nicer now, I was wondering why they seemed so contrasted before.

Edited by jaryth000

Thank you Buglips this thread has inspired me to try my hand at some quick paint jobs of bones myself. I only tested different paints on the bones dwarf that I got at Origins last year and have not actually painted one up completely. So after pouring through the pages of your WIP and watching how quick you are painting up your bones with a good result I thought this would be great for my incoming bones that are meant for the table.

So off to the store and I brought home the bones kobolds. I used your methods and painted all six this weekend with less than 4 hours invested in them total which for me is amazing speed. After finishing them I am quite happy with the results and I wanted to pop in here and tell you Thank you.

And Flit is turning out great, can't wait to see you put more work in to Takhisis soon.

• Like 1