Sign in to follow this  
MonkeySloth

Ikiryo -- Undead Geisha

Very nice. Liking the blending on the umbrella and the reserved use of water effects. Very different to what we usually see here.

And thanks to the previous 3D threads, yes, I was able to see the effect. ::):

• Like 1

Phenomenal. The green blending is bananas. The freehand works well, a kimono like that really needs it. I even like the base, nice job all around.

Looks great in 3D, the underside of the umbrella sells it.

• Like 1

Yes--really a great piece! The umbrella is awesome. The freehand is well done. The water base ties it all together. Nitpicks for me...perhaps a darker lining around the eyes for more depth. The umbrella handle looks a little flat compared to that wonderful range of colors of the umbrella itself.

• Like 1

I agree with the umbrella. Didn't think that one through as much as I should because all of the coloring and shading are at the top, where you can't really see because of the umbrella itself, and around the hands (which really doesn't stand out). Painted a lovely shift from yellow to green to brown just like you see on some bamboo right at the top. Shame.

The eyes, on the other hand, just didn't photograph well. If you check my WIP you'll see they're much more intense but this new background I'm trying messed up the focus or color on two different cameras so it came out really subdued. The white with the light blue wash just messed with both of them (one a cellphone and the other a SLR). Heck, I couldn't even get the SLR to focus on her face at all, only got my cellphone to take them because I know how to trick it autofocus.

I'm glad people are liking the freehand. When I finished I was worried it was too much and I should have only done the sleeves. There's still lots of room for improvement but I'm happy that I conquered one of my mini painting fears (and goals for the year) and the encouragement I got in my WIP thread was very instrumental in helping me take that leap as I almost chickened out on Friday.

• Like 1

The umbrella handle looks perfect to me,a delicately varnished bit of bamboo as it should be the idea being to not distract you from the patterns of the umbrella or the bearer's clothing after all.

She came out well.

• Like 2

With a face like that, I just can't wait to see her drop the kimono and show off that bikini before diving in! Very nicely executed!!

• Like 1

With a face like that, I just can't wait to see her drop the kimono and show off that bikini before diving in! Very nicely executed!!

What, like the one mentioned here?:

(warning: may not be safe for work. No nudity, but some questionable content)

http://www.gamespot.com/features/dead-island-riptide-and-the-problem-with-video-game-marketing-6402693/