Jump to content
Loim

Against the Kobolds

Recommended Posts

@ Eldan

 

You suddenly notice you can see your breath, and the temperature seems to have dropped noticeably. In addition you can hear the sound of horse hooves approaching through the gloom in spite of the intermittently shrieking wind. The hooves sound like they are still some distance away.

 

Kircan notices your pause, and stops mid jab, turning toward you with a raised brow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Horses," is Eldan's reply to Kircan's raised eyebrow. While he doubts the two of them can erase any trace of their camp, he thinks it prudent to ready themselves to defend their position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

d20 = 13

 

Arthrand scans the milling people, looking for any signs of recognition as he adjusts his cloak. Well, he silently muses, I guess I shouldn't have expected something so easy as a hearty welcome at the gate. Arthrand shoulders his pack and makes a note of the barracks' location as he heads down the western road. I may be here for awhile, I should probably find a place to set up shop while I wait...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Arthrand

 

You notice that while most everyone in the small plaza (elves predominately, though there are some other races intermixed) seems to be busily heading somewhere, or taking care of some matter, one grey cloaked figure seems to be studiously inspecting several of the trees near where you entered. At the first glance you can't quite make out much. Judging from size and posture you make it to be a male human, or possibly half elf. Despite the hooded cloak you can also see the clear outline of at least one sword, and you think you catch the glint of metal.

 

@Eldan

 

Kircan drops the load of wood he was gathering and draws his sword. He shrugs his cloak forward so that the naked blade is concealed within the folds at his side. Soon you can make out the vague shape of a rider, apparently accompanied by several others on foot, through the darkening gloom. The figure appears to be moving its horse at a slow walk, and there is something odd about the way the unmounted figures move...unnatural. With his eyes half closed Kircan begins whispering under his breath, and you catch a few bits, "...who's sword guides us in righteousness...show us...presence...evil." Suddenly his eyes widen, and looking at you from the corner of his eye he whispers, "Eldan! Hammer!" As he speaks the wind carries a putrid smell to you, bringing to your mind images of rotting corpses, and putrescence.

 

@Merrillee

 

As you poke at the glowing embers of your fire there is a massive flash of lightning, followed by a tremendous clap of thunder. You are temporarily blinded by the flash, and when your vision clears the form of a massive dire wolf is staring balefully across your dwindling fire. The wolf is easily 9 feet tall. It seems to have a dark grey coat, streaked with a lighter color, and all four feet end in black "socks."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Already alert, Eldan readies his immense warhammer and takes up a defensible position close to Kircan. He attempts to push aside the nerves clawing at his insides and call forth what he can from his training.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"No little one, best you stay away from that one. She always had a weakness for shiny things, and you're too shiny by far. Sit a bit with old Ma'ii. Perhaps you share a drink and a moment with an old man, and maybe tell us a story? We are curious what one of the people, and so young, is doing in such a bad place. Sit with us, things are moving soon, but share a moment until then."

 

Alfreda glances down, self conscious, and confirms that she is not shiny and her silver holy symbol is carefully hidden under her shirt. "Ja, grandfather, my people would not come to this place, it is too far from home." Father would not approve, either, she thinks to herself. "Now, " she says, her accent getting thick and soft as the story comes to her mind the way her mother used to tell it. "I will tell you the story of Hans and Frans and how the mountains came to be where they are."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Tyll

 

You've barely managed the first mouthful when you feel a slight presence at your side. You turn and notice the gentleman from the lady's table standing patiently. There is something strange about his eyes, one moment they seem to be blue, then green, then grey. He's wearing a doublet, leather leggings, and appears to be armed with a sabre and dagger. He is also obviously Elven. When you turn, he gives you a brief bow, and says, "Greetings sir, I am Jack, retainer to the great Lady Corvus, she requests that you join us for a drink." Finishing, he bows again, and returns to the lady's side.

 

 

He's awfully polite for a pimp, but I decline on the grounds that she likely costs more than I earn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arthrand pauses as he notices the cloaked person by the gate. Could this be my contact?, he ponders. Arthrand uses the crowd as cover as he attempts to get a better view of the tree inspector.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Merrillee

 

As you poke at the glowing embers of your fire there is a massive flash of lightning, followed by a tremendous clap of thunder. You are temporarily blinded by the flash, and when your vision clears the form of a massive dire wolf is staring balefully across your dwindling fire. The wolf is easily 9 feet tall. It seems to have a dark grey coat, streaked with a lighter color, and all four feet end in black "socks."

 

"Oh Scheiße!"

Merrillee jumps to her feet, grabbing for her sword with which she might defend herself, if such a thing is possible against such a massive beast. It also occurs to her that the wolf could have devoured her already, given her blindness-induced paralysis, yet has not done so. Very odd, indeed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Eldan Approximately 50 yards from your camp the rider pulls to a halt, and dismounts. The figure raises a hand, and then continues on toward your camp alone. Approaching to withing easy voice range, the figure holds obviously empty hands out to the sides. "Helloooo to the camp strangersssss. I wonder if we might take a momentsss of your time?" The figure is heavily cowled, and cloaked in several heavy layers of dark wool, to the point that it is impossible to determine gender or features.

 

@Alfreda As you begin your story the old man pulls his chair in, and leans forward, a half smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. You also detect what you think to be a small measure of sadness in his eyes as he listens to you spin our tale. He drinks occasionally from his mug, and from time to time you see his eyes dart around the room as if expecting something before returning to your face.

 

@Tyll The barkeeps raises an eyebrow, and continues to wipe the same glass he was wiping when you entered. "What brings you to these parts, sir?"

 

@Qwyksilver Roll wisdom check.

 

@Merillee As your blade slides out with a steely rasp, and the canine gives a snort. If you weren't sure that wolves were not intelligent you might think it was akin to a laugh. The beast paces back and forth across the fire for a few moments, and you hear occasional small whines and growls. Finally the wolf pauses, looking back once toward the west, and sits. You notice the dark line of a color or some kind of thong around the animals neck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Kacir, I like this, none at all. The smell of those things... However, escape is unlikely. Perhaps we should parlay the matter and hope for the best. Do you agree?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Curiouser and curiouser...

 

Feeling slightly foolish with her sword in hand and the great beast just sitting there, Merrillee ponders the situation. The great wolf had acted suspiciously like it was trying to make up its mind to either make a snack of her or...she notices the line of a thong of some kind around the animal's neck...or to do what it had previously been instructed to do? Deliver a message perhaps? Carefully, making no sudden moves she lays her sword on the ground, and, gathering her courage, cautiously approaches the sitting wolf.

 

I will try to get closer to the wolf to see what is around its neck and what, if anything, is attached to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...