Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Loim

Against the Kobolds

Recommended Posts

@Oberron

 

As you travel  your thoughts bounce around, and you recall a snippet of a conversation with Sister Ygrissa while she prattled on about germs, and infections, and how many undead are unclean, and how some of the more virulent types of undead can spread disease with their bite or touch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although she seems to feel worse with every step, Merrillee strides through the forest at what she thinks is a human-sized pace. But after her wobbly legs nearly fail her as she navigates over a particularly gnarly exposed tree root, she is forced to pause for a moment to rest. The moment her concentration is no longer needed to keep her upright and moving forward, her mind goes back to that gnawing hunger…but for what? A mental inventory of the provisions in her pack, and those in the young knight’s that he had spread out the night before provide no satisfaction. Her mind wanders, and with a start she finds herself eyeing the knight’s horse in a speculative fashion. Not sure what she was thinking…and not sure if she wants to know…she gives her head a shake as if to clear it. This turns out to be a mistake, as this sets the resident werebadgers to rampaging through her much-abused skull. With a barely-suppressed groan she turns and resumes her east-ish trek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"If I can fashion a litter of some sort we shall begun in earnest. I am thankful you are travelling alongside us."

 

With that, Eldan makes ready to leave, ensuring Kircan is as comfortable as can be, given the circumstances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keeping an eye on Merrilee's condition as they travel, the young knight grows steadily more concerned. "I hope that the decision to warn others of this evil was The Knight's will," he things "Either way, we must make haste or this little one may not survive." He sets his jaw in grim determination and pushes forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You gather your respective belongings and head out.

 

@Oberron and Merrillee 

 

The journey east is not easy, but you encounter no further monsters; inhuman or otherwise. A week into your journey you have a chance encounter with a tinker who is  headed your way. In return for helping with his stock he offers you passage with him. 

 

@Oberron

 

After a long exhausting journey your destination is in sight. You notice another small group seems to be approaching from the south at the same time.

 

@Merrillee

 

The sickness has not abated, in fact it has only gotten worse. Some days you almost felt like you had it under control, only to find the next that you were weaker than before. You have taken continual sporadic Con damage during the duration of the trip. and you are currently sitting at 3 Con. You've spent most of the last part of the trip riding, as almost all exertion tires you out immediately. You have also become increasingly sensitive to sunlight.

 

 

@Eldan and Neriskain

 

It's not easy making a litter, but using most of your camping gear, and what few items you can scrounge you accomplish it. The journey north is miserable, and while Kircan does not die he continues to deteriorate despite your ministrations. It takes all the skill the both of you can muster just get a little water and broth into him. For the past day you've been passing intermittent dwellings, and after Neriskain spoke with one of the inhabitants you both agree that the nearby town of Dvarrowferj is your best bet. You've finally gotten close enough to smell the river, and see the walls of the town. As you approach from the south you notice what appears to be small cart and a single rider approaching the road from the west.

 

@Eldan 

 

You're almost certain that Kircan won't last may more days. While his wound has mostly closed up the nasty dark taint emanating from the entry has continued to spread, and now covers almost the entire left side of his body from his scalp to his knee. Furthermore your supplies are shot, and you're not sure how much longer you can carry your brother. 

 

@Neriskain

 

While you find the progression of whatever ails the human fascinating, it also unnerves you a bit. You're not sure what it is, but you know for certain that it is no natural ailment. After traveling for several weeks with Eldan you're finally confident he's not a danger to you, but his bestial appearance is still disconcerting. You worry how others will react, since he's the only creature of his kind you've ever seen. He fits the description of a beast called a minotaur from some ancient and crumbling texts you remember from the library back home, but that's crazy, since everyone knows no minotaurs came with The First. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Merrillee huddles on the back of the tinker’s cart, her cloak over her head to keep out the sunlight. She attempts to keep the strange hungers at bay by doing a running inventory of the tinker’s stock, mumbling to herself

 

Hmm … 2 kettles and 3 pans? … Don’t forget the ladles… and the tools...there were tools...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Eldan

 

Ah, someone on the road!  I wonder if they know of a local healer.  Would  you like to pull off the road and make your brother more comfortable while I speak to them?  I do not wish to be rude, as you have been quite gentlemanly, but I am not certain if your rather unique appearance might be of some concern to less learned folk.  uhh...oh...I'm so sorry, my mouth does get away with me!  It is not my intent to demean the inhabitants of this area, it is simply that with all I have read I have heard little of anyone like yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As they travel, Oberron worries more and more that he's made the wrong decision in not taking the halfling to Sister Ygrissa immediately. "Aye, Ygrissa would surely have some counsel for me about decisions made in haste," he mutters to himself. "But what's done is done and we surely can't waste the time turning back now."

 

Pulled out of his reverie by the sight of other travelers, he reigns his horse in and tries to get Merrilllee's attention, "Miss...Miss, riders approach. Be on your guard." He readies his sword and waits to see what the other travelers will do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The knight's voice slowly filters through the fog of Merrillee's thoughts and she peers out from the folds of her cloak to see what all the fuss is about. She tries to sit up, one hand groping around for her sword, but in her weakened state, the effort is too much, and she collapses back in a frustrated heap. Very well - she will be on her guard while masquerading as a heap of rags. She fights to stay alert and watchful as the knight prepares to meet the strangers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Not at all, you speak the truth. I rarely have travelled from my home, and sometimes forget my appearance is unnerving to most. Speak with them as you see fit. I pray that one of them is healer. I fear Kacir is slipping from us."

 

"I will do as you suggest, though I will not delay long, no matter how they react to my appearing. The Knight guide you."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So are you going to approach the respective other groups, or head into the town?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing that the other party is not advancing in their direction, Oberron decides that they are not posing enough of a threat at the moment to concern him enough to hold up their progress. Hoping that the town might have a healer with greater skill than he possesses, he signals to Merrilee to continue thier treck, keeping an eye on the others as best he can as they make their way towards the dwarven settlement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Merrillee nods in reply to the knight's message, thinking, in a brief moment of lucidity, that the tinker who is kind enough to let her ride is also probably anxious to get into town and begin plying his trade. Ever curious, however, she peers out from the folds of her cloak, trying to catch a glimpse of these travelers the knight had mentioned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Oberron 

 

You notice the shorter figure break away from the other group and begin moving in your direction

 

@Neriskain

 

As you move toward the other group you make out what appears to be one figure on horseback, and another with a smallish cart that appears to be piled down with all matters off oddments as well as who knows what else inside from the way it squats. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...