Sign in to follow this  
Loim

Against the Kobolds

Oberron makes sure to insert himself between the approaching figure and Merrillee. He readies his weapon but does not draw it as the other traveler does not look too threatening at this point.

Neriskain puts on her best smile and continues to move forward.  "Hail fellow travellers!  Might you be familiar with any nearby settlement?" 

Oberron remains wary, but answers the new arrival's question to the best of his ability, "There is a dwarven village not too far in the direction that we are headed. I don't know much about it, but I'm in hope that they have a healer there."

@Oberron

"That is my hope as well. My travelling companion's brother is gravely ill. If you see us on the road, please do not be alarmed at his appearance.  Eldan resembles the minotaurs I have read about, but despite his size and unusual looks he is incredibly kind and gentle. Hetook me in when I had been cast out by a caravan. I doubt I'd have made it much further on my own in the woods. In any case, I am grateful for the information and wish you well.  Perhaps we shall see you there."

"As a servant of The Knight," the young man replies, "I am obliged and happy to assist all in need regardless of physical appearance or even whether they serve The Knight themselves or not. If your intentions are true, then by all means join us as we're going to the same place for the same purpose."

For once on this journey, Merrillee is burning with something other than fever - pure unadulterated Gnomish curiosity. Silently cursing the weakness that prevents her from fully satisfying this curiosity, she nevertheless strains her ears to catch some scrap of conversation between the knight and the newcomer.

@Oberron "That is wonderful news!  I will gladly relay this information to Eldan.  I will be right back....oh and I'm sorry, I never did introduce myself.  How rude of me.  I am Neriskain and I am very pleased to make your acquaintaince."

Neriskain gives a hasty sort of bow as she leaves.

@Eldan "I have good news to share with you.  The man upon the road is a servant of The Knight and says he would be pleased to have us join him on the way to the next village and that he cares nothing for unique appearances so long as a person's intent is true.  He says he is hoping for a healer there, though he looks pretty healthy to me so I don't know quite what to think of that.

Oberron turns to the others in his party as the stranger goes back to get her friends. "I believe that these others have good intentions," he reports. "They seem to be in need of a healer as much as we are and are travelling in the same direction. I offered to let them join us and give them as much assistance as I am able."

Merrillee nods.

If they have good intentions and share similar goals with us, then it would be beneficial to all to travel together. And the search for a healer will go more quickly with two able persons on the task.

Her curiosity finally gets the better of her and she blurts out

So who are these strangers? What was the lady like? What was that word she used to describe the other one? Min-something?

The torrent of questions is interrupted by a coughing fit as her parched throat protests the unaccustomed amount of usage. With a groan, Merrillee lies back against her pack, trying to catch her breath.

Edited by Shiqra

"Stay calm little one," Oberron says soothingly and offers her some water from a flask. "Neriskain seemed honest and true. Her friend is what people call a Minotaur, a being with the body of a man but the head of a great bull. Do not fear though, contrary to tales that you may have heard, Minotaurs are intelligent, caring, feeling beings and you have nothing to fear from those who are not selfish or evil, the same as with any human that you may encounter. I trained alongside one of them as a novitiate and he was one of my most true and loyal friends."

Merrillee gratefully accepts the flask and takes a welcome swallow of the cool liquid before handing it back to the knight.

A Minotaur? Body of a human, head of a bull...I may have heard tell of such beings, but that was long ago and right now, even yesterday is hazy in my mind.

She lapses into a reverie, trying to recall the many tales she had heard around the fire on a long evening as a much younger gnome.

Edited by Shiqra

"A servant of the Knight, you say? This is fortuitous. Although the ability to help Kircan is beyond me, there are others in our order that our Lord allows to banish disease. Mayhap this can aid Kircan."

As Eldan pushes himself up to stand, he adds,"It is also quite possible that we know each other, or of each other. I must say, this raises my hopes for Kircan."

"Let us go to them."

@Eldan "I too have more hope than I have in quite some time.  I am glad we can join some others, for even if they are of no help to your brother personally, more travelling companions cannot hurt"

'Hail, fellow travellers.'

As Eldan approaches he continues, 'It seems we are both in need of a healer. I can offer some healing of sorts, if it will aid you. My brother, Kircan, however, is beyond my skills. Let us quickly consult, as I fear my brother's time grows short.'

'I am Eldan Steelhorn, a servant of the Knight.'

As the traveler's get closer and Eberron begins to make out the true size of the minotaur, he starts to wonder if this was the best idea. When the traveler begins to speak, Eberron's jaw drops in amazement. "Eldan, my old friend! By the Knight, it IS you!"

He approaches the tall figure and envelopes him in a hug.