Almirith's armor

Tempest

I completely agree that the point of the 0 brush is comparable to the the smaller sizes. The reason I prefer the smaller sizes though is due to the way I "work" my paint around. The more I work an area, the more the brush will empty itself of paint and water. The smaller sizes hold just the right amout(most of the time) for me to blend out my brush without drying up or pooling. I not only thin my paint, but also dip my brush in water before dipping in paint....almost like thinning as I paint.

I have ordered my brushes from the same place online several times(special orders) without any problems whatsoever and great customer service. Since I'm a noob here, I don't know if I can post a link to the site or not. So, someone fill me in please. Can I post a link or should I keep that stuff to PM's?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've really wanted to try the miniatures series because I also prefer a shorter bristle length. However, no one around me carries them. I'm hesitant to order online, because even at the Art store where I buy my series 7, I consider half the W&N's in stock to have improper tips.

Is there a reliable dealer for these who I can trust to mail good brushes and exchange any bad ones should it become an issue?

I bought most of my brushes online including 20 Kolinsky sables. Two of the online dealers I used that carry WN7 minis are

http://www.aselart.com/

http://www.aswexpress.com/

Both of these suppliers say they will replace problem items but I have not had problems with anything purchased from them. Prices are good but offset a little by S&H.

Sure. You can post links to other sites. It's not a violation or anything. Kit and the kind folks at Reaper are very supportive of us. We can discuss other companies and share their links.

The only caveat is if the link delivers a viewer to questionable content, make sure you give fair warning. And naturally, "inappropriate" links are straight out.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, btw. I am very taken by your painting and am glad to hear any and all advice, techniques, etc. Your work is stunning. I've tried with barely marginal success to emulate your brushed steel. I was thrilled to read about it here. Would you mind discussing the actual application -- that is to say how much of the brush you laid against the paint to achieve the micro-thin lines and so forth. The effect is so darn beautiful. I've been determined to learn it ever since having first set eyes upon it. I'll ask your pardon now when I say I *AM* going to steal (steel) that technique. ::D:

I completely agree that the point of the 0 brush is comparable to the the smaller sizes. The reason I prefer the smaller sizes though is due to the way I "work" my paint around. The more I work an area, the more the brush will empty itself of paint and water. The smaller sizes hold just the right amout(most of the time) for me to blend out my brush without drying up or pooling. I not only thin my paint, but also dip my brush in water before dipping in paint....almost like thinning as I paint.

I have ordered my brushes from the same place online several times(special orders) without any problems whatsoever and great customer service. Since I'm a noob here, I don't know if I can post a link to the site or not. So, someone fill me in please. Can I post a link or should I keep that stuff to PM's?

I did not even consider the amount of paint. That is why I am still the student.

I would be interested in knowing where you buy online. I just purchased from the Italian Art Store and had good luck, but am always looking for good avenues for online purchasing. I did not even know W&N S7 had a miniature set.

Cool. I got my brushes from http://www.rexart.com/ . They don't have them listed though. I called their 800 number and they were more than willing to special order them for me and do the order over the phone, along with the e-mail confirmation and etc.

Because I thin my paints the way I do, the amount of paint seen on the brush is not what matters, but how much is drawn into it that can be coaxed out. There is more in the bristles than on.

Gee Whiz( ::D: ), I don't really know how to tell you what you want to know. It's not really something that can be explained. One of those things you just have to experiment with.... I don't really think about painting like that. I just have an idea, play with it, look at the results so far, and go from there.

I guess call it my style. While emulating someone's style can teach you a lot, finding your own I think is more important. Don't get me wrong, I'm honored that you like the effect enough to try to replicate it and wish you the best. But I don't think style can be taught, but rather learned through your own successes and failures.

• Reaper User

Alex is right, Whiz, there's no really good way to describe some of this stuff, it's just something you develop a "feel" for the more you paint and experiment yourself. I would add to the comments on painting style (my favorite subject!! :D) by saying that concentrating on duplicating other painters' work helped my own style develop--but not because they told me exactly how they did everything. The key, in fact, is in *not* knowing the exact way someone else achieved an effect--trying to duplicate it yourself, with all the experimentation involved, causes you to find your *own* way to do it, thus leading you to develop your own style!! Sneaky, huh?? ;) Intuitive and deductive reasoning play equal parts in the development of great artists, I think.

--Anne :)

• Reaper User

Careful DM, you're dancing close to me siccing a band of frenzied furious ferrets on you! I pride myself on *never* keeping secrets from other painters; in fact, I get rabidly angry at those who do so, because I think it hurts the hobby as a whole. In point of fact, if you come to Reaper or to any of the numerous Cons I frequent, you will have no problem convincing me to show you *exactly* how I do any given technique--however, I still think you will learn more, and find better results, in discovering your own way.

--Anne, fingering the release catch on a cageful of hyperactive fuzzy vermin...

Yeah I have to say that's an impressive piece o work there. I've tried doing a similiar job on my version but it looked like...well, let's say I wasn't happy with the result. After looking at the pic again I see some things I missed and will have to go back and repaint.

You mentioned using blue-gray tints but I don't see the blue. Just looks dark to me. Though I'm so tired I can barely stand it, so maybe I'll check back tomorrow and look again. :lol:

Alex!

It's great to see you've shown your face and shared about how you did that piece. I told you people wanted to hear it from *you* and not someone else. ::P:

Folks, Alex Glocka is a phenomenal painter. If you ever have a chance to look at his work in person, or speak to him at a convention, you won't be sorry. He's just that cool.

Reaper Ivy

Layout Chick, and Alex fan ::):

Alex!

It's great to see you've shown your face and shared about how you did that piece. I told you people wanted to hear it from *you* and not someone else. ::P:

Folks, Alex Glocka is a phenomenal painter. If you ever have a chance to look at his work in person, or speak to him at a convention, you won't be sorry. He's just that cool.

Reaper Ivy

Layout Chick, and Alex fan ::):

Does anybody UNcool work with or associate with Reaper?

All the Reaper folks seem like cool dudes and dudettes, the gues painters seem cool, the sculptors seem cool...

And best of all, I hang here on the boards! ::D:

Reaper just exeudes cool.

HC

Cool Dude

:devil: