Sign in to follow this  
CashWiley

Ral Partha Goblin

Since my RPG theme mini is stuck in the Bones-created tear in the fabric of time and space in Denton, I decided to jump on the old orange goblin bandwagon. I knew I had this guy in ze drawer!

Goblin1_WIP_1.JPGGoblin1_WIP_2.JPG

So far using HD Burning Orange, Woodstain Brown, Regal Purple and Stormy Grey. He's going to be ORANGE (actually, it should tone down a bit with other layers, but who knows?)

• Like 2

Cash is probably using it for BAIT. I think he is looking for a painting goblin minion with all of those BONES he is expecting. You know how those Old Ones are and their need for minions.

• Like 1

The smell of metal fills the goblins nose as the psionic tentacles coil round his minuscule mind bending his will.

• Like 1

Actually, I would never enslave a goblin as a minion in my house! Too risky.

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/6360/dscf0916v.jpg

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/7895/dscf0920.jpg

Bruunwald, in a moment of almost Bugliness, I don't know what color his skin tone will end up. I've got a few ideas and I'm just going to see where it goes.

NICE START! The orange skin tones are a pleasant change from the green that seems to be prevalent. As a Goblin Guy, I'm looking forward to your progress...keep up the GOOD WORK!

• Like 1

Orange is the new green around here :blues:

There are a couple wonky spots in the sculpt (the right knee for instance), but the face is really awesome. Filled with character. It's kind of a shame the bow and quiver aren't up to the quality of the muscles and face.

Edited by CashWiley
  • Like 1

Bruunwald, in a moment of almost Bugliness, I don't know what color his skin tone will end up. I've got a few ideas and I'm just going to see where it goes.

You must let go of your conscious self, and act on instinct.

Orange is the new green around here :blues:

Well played. Well played, indeed. Not only as a reference to the plethora of citrus goblins lately, but also for the bugbear's surprise color scheme. It works on multiple levels.

Orange is the new green! You heard it here first, people! Somebody get on the phone to Paris and Milan!

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By 72moonglum
      Hello to all the forumites of this fine page!

So just finished this set a few days ago, the Ral Partha Water Lords, sculpted by Jim Johnson I'm thinking in the nineties, even though as per always, I forgot to look at the date stamp at the bottom before I put them on their base.

I can really only directly show one of these minis, because the other two are ladies with their aquatic lady parts floundering all over, so here's the first one:

and here is then a link to the female aquatic elf:

Female aquatic elf from the Water Lords

If you were interested in seeing other angles (this is the one I put on the Lost Mini Wiki), you could check out on my Instagram account Moonglumsminis

And here is the Water Elemental in this set, a really cool piece in my opinion, but once again, full of even more mammal parts than the lady elf:

Water Elemental

Also on my Instagram page is the back angle of this wet and wonderful woman!

So it was very fun painting these guys, and I got to use a lot of my sea color paints from Reaper, which just don't get enough use these days.  For the elves, I wanted them to be kind of subdued colors, as if they were down in the deep blue sea, and then with the male elf's mount, I was kind of in a conundrum, do I also give him subdued colors, or do I do a more tropical color scheme to offset the pale elf colors?  In the end, I opted for the brighter tropical colors to give hopefully a bit more visual interest.  

The whites I think as the highlights for the water come off "whiter" in the actual minis, wish that would translate a bit more in the photos, but I think they came out more or less decently.  

Around this same time, Ral Partha also did some other "elemental" blister packs, they did a fire one, an air one, and an earth blister pack. They were all sculpted by Jim Johnson, one of the few sculptors I can never seem to find anything out about.  I'd previously painted a female djinn from the air set, but I think I'm going revisit them all to hopefully get them all done one of these days in the far-flung future.  And just as a final mention, you can get all of these elemental minis, the water ones and others, on the Iron Wind Metals web site.

Anyhoos, enjoy and have a beautiful week of labor and painting (labor as work, not a week full of pre-partum pain)!

Mark aka 72Moonglum
    • By Metalchaos
      Hello everyone, here are pictures of a model that had been waiting 34 years before being painted, Ral Partha 02-333 Acrobatic Thief sculpted by Julie Guthrie.
      "Thanks to @Thoramel, for providing me with the model info.

• By Metalchaos
      Hello everyone, here are pictures of a cute but deadly little lady goblin. 14178, Skralla the Reven Hero was sculpted by Jason Wiebe. I painted her with Reaper MSP paint.

According to the rumours; Skralla grew up near the Shores of the Sea of Stars, far from Monglash. She heard the tales of Razig and his undead crew, and has always wanted to join them. Knowing that Razig would never accept her unless she proved herself a true pirate, she raided Aizen Krahl one night and emerged with one of the dwarves' coveted guns and a trail of bearded corpses behind her. Now that she has the guns, the murder, the pillaging, and the rumming down, she has thrown in her lot with Varaug in hopes of meeting Razig one day and joining him. If only she had stolen ammunition, or knew how to load the wretched thing. Still, it serves her well with a blade tied on, and maybe Razig can teach her shooting.

• By 72moonglum
      Hello all you fine purveyors or all things Reaper and miniature related!

So here this evening, I'm posting up a miniature sculpted by Dennis Mize back in 1989 (I actually looked at the bottom before adhering him on to his base) and you may or may not recognize him.  

He's a more "realistic" version of a certain comic book classic, Groo the Wanderer, officially named in the Iron Wind Metal Site as a Brainless Barbarian:

In case you've never actually met him, here is what he looks like in the two-dimensional world:

Super-fun mini to paint, pretty straightforward, the only issue that I had created in my mind was painting his tunic orange, kind of to match his comic book coloring, but in the end it was a bit easier than I thought.  I think it was also way back in the day that maybe Dark Horse Miniatures made cartoon versions of him as miniatures.  I would one day love to snag some of those, but that will be for another Ebay adventure I'm sure. 

So a double blast to the past, both in comic book and miniature form, hope you enjoy!

• By DragonWyrm
      Now, I have a pile of unpainted stuff. Time to reduce it by some amount. I got all of these from Bones 4, but I think that the rank and file goblins are from the previous kickstarter.
      Since I didn't want to play around with the poses I started experimenting with colour choices. Some classic orange, modern green, royal violet, baby pinks, icy blue and even a grey sorcerer.
      Some other points:
      Batch painted (apart from the experiments) NMM (it really teaches you much when you do it for large amounts of figures, I really love Prussian Blue and wet blending really helps in NMM) Experimented with using Vallejo spray paint: it gets somewhat tacky when it dries for a while, but that disappears when you paint over it with acrylic paint.
      Overall I like the detail on them, but some poses could be more generic for the rank and file goblins. In my personal the large sabre goblin is the worse of, it is a fun and interesting pose, but it only works for 1 goblin. 

Now the photos are not the best (it was getting dark when I got the time to take them. Plus I have yet to make a good photo shoot)

Let us start with Modern Green. The right hand side goblin has one of the better NMM sabres. Currently they have a gloss varnish. 

Royal Violets and Baby Pinks: Both violets and pinks work. Sadly the photo for the violets didn't come out well, so you only get a top down shot of them. 

I also found an old metal miniature at my local hobby store, so I included them here. If anyone knows where it is from I would appreciate if you could tell me: 

Classic Orange: Now my favourite pose from the rank and file goblins is the spear. You can rank them up and they look like a real army! And they have a pose that works for defence, retreat and attack. The photo doesn't really do them justice

Icy Blues and Grey Sorcerer: The sorcerer is a really nice sculpt. He has a nice pet spider on his back. sadly the sun was already pretty low and all other photos didn't come out well. 

I painted the spider as a RedBack. See a lot of them here. 

Armoured Goblins: they are fun, really like those sculpts. There was another armoured goblin in Bones 4  (I previously posted him). I don't think he really fits in with these as a goblin.

• Who's Online   11 Members, 2 Anonymous, 38 Guests (See full list)