Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Only used 8 colors for the troll. Base coated him in Reaper's troll flesh and harvest brown for the loincloth. Then a wash with citadel Nuln oil wash and Vallejo sepia wash for the cloth. Next a highlight of orc flesh over almost all of the muscles leaving just enough of the base and wash showing for the deep valleys of the muscles. Finally a glaze of troll flesh over the whole thing to blend it all together. Final touches were desert sand for the claws/teeth, coal black for the hair which was highlighted with Dark elf highlights and ogre flesh for the eyes. I think some of the new troll from Bones 4 have probably surpassed this old cave troll but one reason I like him is that he is the same size and almost the same look as the old DnD chainmail battered troll skeleton mini.
I've only been at this a little over a month and am totally addicted! Went for the glowing eyes here and botched it -- Don't know how you expert painters paint son damn small!
So with my ongoing RPG game heading into a new chapter, one that has a rather extensive focus on trolls, it was only right that I start painting up some of everyone's favorite regenerating, pyrophobes.
So starting out with (from left to right) Lardgulp 2Headed Troll 02657 by S. Garrity, Bones Marsh Troll 77152 by J Wiebe, and the Bones Cave Troll 77004 by B. Siens. As you can see, the cave troll has already received a layer of blue liner to prepare for the rest of the paint job and has had his broccoli cut off to prepare for a rebasing (which will be a first ever attempt for me for this particular style of base. I do have another cave troll that might get added to this thread if time permits. I also have some Hordes trollbloods that will be used in the campaign as well, but will create a separate thread for them since they are a completely different company. Hoping to make some good progress on the cave troll at least today, though it is absolutely gorgeous outside, so will have to see. :)
I tried to use a quick-rigged photo setup for these. Hopefully these look better than my Goldar pics. Also I tried something different on the mini. I used a coat of brown liner as a base coat after having seen discussion about it, then dry brushed up from there. Not sure how I feel about it.
I hope I am doing this right. I tried to shrink the picture sizes so they weren't massive.
Anyway. I was introduced to minis when I asked a gamer friend to teach me how to play D&D. He has thousands of minis. I bought some rats and beetles and he gave me tips on how to get started. I enjoyed that so I purchased some minis, paints, and brushes and started painting. Then I found the forums and I started reading the posts and following the WIP's to learn to get better. I checked out many of the "how to's" and started trying new methods. I think they have helped and I feel I am getting better.
So, I am going to post some pictures starting with my earliest stuff (2 months ago) to present (finished last night.) I will post a few photos and make subsequent posts with the rest so I don't jam everything into one post.
(If I am posting wrong, please give pointers!) Also, this is the first time I have tried taking photos of my minis so they aren't super great.
Mocking Beast #77048
Mouselings Archer and Wizard #03529
Who's Online 16 Members, 2 Anonymous, 30 Guests (See full list)