show me your shelves!

Cassu

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This may be what your looking for... I imagine it will be my solution.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10011055/

The shot glass display thing preempted me, but I was going to say that thing has too few shelves too far apart and too deep. Minis would get lost in there unless all you have is big dragons and Cthulhu.

My favorite bookcase maker makes his cases about half as deep as standard, since very few books need all that depth. I have one special case for art books, basically, and the rest are close to the wall.

A shot glass case is a great idea.

For miniatures, what is needed is a display case with many shelves, very shallow and very close together.

In the 1970s there was a fashion for hanging old wooden boxes on the wall filled with doodads. I think the boxes may have held coke bottles once, or moveable type.

Something like that with lots of little cubbyholes and decent lighting would be great.

Detolf is the one I have too. the only problem is that it only has three shelves... (four if counting the wooden bottom) but in europe at 40 euros (50 USD) per cupboard, it's fine, and you can use acrylic trays to create extra shelves and still see the miniatures underneath!

How are the shelves attached? It's hard to tell by the picture. Leading to the question, how hard is it to move or add acrylic shelves?

We have a glass-front display from Ikea...starts with an "M"...anyway, deep shelves, but with tiered acrylic shelving and HA structures its a nice display. We also have some golfball display cases mounted on walls that work very well.

Someone posted a detailed guide on how to add additional shelves to the Detolf cabinet on DakkaDakka: http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Customizing_a_Glass_Display_Case_by_AesSedai

I had a buddy who was trying his hand a woodworking build me something which can be seen here http://tinyurl.com/awvkwax (Warseer forums). Can't access picture sites from work..

I don't have any pics of it handy but one thing I use is a shotglass display case. Its shallow, wall mountable, and has a mirror as the backing. I have no idea where it came from... my uncle gave it to me ages ago.

There are also similar cases for golf balls and baseballs. I find the baseball one works well for larger dragonish minis

• Like 1

I have billy shelves from ikea.

The white 'stairways' are selfmade. After making two, I think I learned from my errors and the next one will be little easier to make. And I hope with less clearance. I still need to put a white board in the backround, the red rear panel of the billy shelf is little to dark.

The pictures are little dark, because I'm missing a good light source to make photos their.

myshelves1.jpg
myshelves2.jpg

• Like 2

The white 'stairways' are selfmade. After making two, I think I learned from my errors and the next one will be little easier to make. And I hope with less clearance. I still need to put a white board in the backround, the red rear panel of the billy shelf is little to dark.

pretty slick idea there, was thinking of something like that for myself at one time

Remember when we all used to own CD's, and even DVD's?

Ok, maybe I'm old, but I used to own CD's. Now that my CD collection is on my iTunes, I now use those shelves for my minis.

I really like the Ikea display case, and one day I may buy one. But for now I use two of these guys. (Benno Shelves from IKEA) http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/10168230/

So I guess that makes me Old and frugal. :lol:

----

As for typeset drawers and simular. We are moving towards getting Card catalog type furniture to hold our pre-painted minis. That way we don't have to shuffle through stacked bins like we currently have. But just open a drawer marked "Dragony Things", or "Beastly Dudes" or what have you.

Edited by Thes Hunter
  • Like 1

I still have the first model of Sony Discman ever made. It still works too, though it has a tendency to skip if you jar it.

I'm looking to eventually get a glass display case similar to what they have at Reaper. I just like the glass look.

• Like 1