Sign in to follow this  
ladystorm

Take a picture

Okay, so I've tried both digicams and I can't get a decent shot of the mini.  Any suggestions.  Focus seems to be the big problem, the camera, not me I am so single minded (not). :)    What has worked for you and what hasn't?

cbs

what's a macro setting? what does it do?

i'm about to go on vacation (a week from now) to visit my gaming friend. so i'll be packing up my minis & hopefully using his camera to photograph them (& maybe post some of the photos here...) Since I only have a weekend to get it right & haven't used a digital camera, i'd like to have a little more info...

Does your digital camera have a macro setting?

Not sure.  I know the little digicam does not.  It was a first time camera bought to figure out what we wanted in one.  The other is our webcam.  It has a lot of settings, none specifically called macro, so I, um, don't know.  I am not the most technophile of people.  

sorry

cbs

If its a full blown digital camera there should be a switch called a macro. Its used for taking pictures of small objects or incredibly close images. Its effective photography range is 8-15cm.

One tip: you must use a tripod or stabalize the camera to receive a blur free image.

Go through your camera's instruction manual and see if there are any mentions of "Macro photography" or "Macro lens". use a smaller resolution like 640x480 and crop the image. If you have any ? PM me!

Don't use flash, use macro if you have it, don't use zoom.  If you don't have macro you're going to be hurting to get close shots.  Like someone else said use a tripod and/or remote for your camera if you can.

Sans.

You seem to know about Dig cameras.

I'm looking for one spcifically for mini pics in the 200-300 dollar range.

any suggestions?

--lstormhammer

Anything with a 2 megapixel resoultion or more. A macro setting on the camera is absolutly needed. There are some great cameras out there now that are dropping in price. I can't recomend any particluar one. I use a fuji finepix 1300. Its a 1.3 mega pixel camera with a macro setting.  picked it up for $129. Its a great starter camera. But it is a late model. If you can find one you probably can get it dirt cheap! You can check me website for pics of minis and regular photos.

Hehe! Shameless plug.......

Definitely a matte surface... stay away from windows and reflective surfaces. Tabletops can reflect... so... my hint is to take a large piece of unfinished wood and use that. Natural lighting can be the best... the more light (most times) the better your mini will look. Stay away from strobing-type flashes, too. :)

Use a matte backdrop of a contrasting colour to what you're taking a photo of. White or off-white works well for anything except very lightly-coloured models.

Light the model as well as you can. Any kind of lamp will work, but halogen will work the best. Do not use a flash; it will light the model unnaturally.

Use a digital camera with a macro mode, and use the best resolution you can, within reason. Avoid using the digital zoom if possible; stick with the optical zoom.

When you have transferred the photo to your computer, use your favourite photo editing program to work on it. In Photoshop, use the Adjust Levels feature and drag the left-most arrow to the first significant peak. Adjust brightness and contrast if necessary.

Crop your photo the the size you like after you manipulate it, not before.

Scale humans need not be any more than 400 pixels wide.

Save the file as a JPG with a compression of no less than 6; compression artifacts will be very noticeable otherwise.

Woah... Lots of quality advice from scowling! Thanks, man.

Looks like I'm going to have to buy that durn halogen light sooner than I thought. I knew that my figures were coming out too yellowy-washedout for some reason.