Learn to Paint Kits (L2PK)

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After some kerfuffle with the Post Office due to the fact that I was interstate for a Convention, my first box of L2PKs have arrived! I ordered kit 1, 2, 4 and 5.

reaperl2pks.jpg

Here's a peek at everything I got in my order. (I got 3 extra minis including the new Bones Silverhorn Unicorn. *squeee*)
Cannot believe how my paint collection has grown just by ordering these kits. There are a few duplicate paints, but there's still an amazing set here already. A perfect starting point for me to grow my collection.

As of this morning I received an email from Reaper telling me that my L2PK 3 has shipped.

Edited by Cassu
  • Like 11

Cassu, question for you: could you by chance post a list of each of the brushes you got with those 4 kits?

Of course! I'll include some photos too, most brushes came with protective plastic covers but I've taken them off in these photos to show off the bristles.

Kit 1 comes with a size 2 flat red sable and a 5/0 white taklon brush:

kit1brush.jpg

Kit 2 comes with a size 0 brush and what the kit says is a size 3/0 white taklon brush, but on the brush handle itself says is a size 5/0:

kit2brush.jpg

After close inspection of both supposed size 5/0 sized brushes from kits 1 and 2, one is clearly the 3/0:

53brushes.jpg

I don't know if it's a handle printing error on the brushes, both say 5/0 but as shown in this photo one is clearly smaller than the other. So no worries there.

Kit 4 has another size 0 brush:

kit4brush.jpg

As does kit 5:

kit5brush.jpg

I don't have a kit 3 yet, but according the website it comes with brushes size 0 and 3/0. So you get the different sized brushes in the earlier kits, not much of a problem if you buy extra brushes yourself.

I'm personally glad I ordered a few higher quality brushes myself that should be arriving this week because a few of the plain hair brushes look like they won't last too long. The taklon brushes that came with the set seem quite nice though, I'll share my thoughts as I start using them.

Now time to start my first mini! My poor Anhurian has quite a bit of flash that's bending his sword way out of shape, so cleaning that up first.

warrior.jpg

Sorry this pic is so blurry, using my iPad to take photos since the hubby has taken the good camera to work. I'll wrangle it off him when he gets home so I can take some good w.i.p. painting pics.

• Like 5

Of course! I'll include some photos too, most brushes came with protective plastic covers but I've taken them off in these photos to show off the bristles.

Thanks for that! I ask because the L2PK2 that I got did not come with the Size 0 brush, so with the L2PK1&2 I have 2 flat size 2 brushes, a 5/0 and a 3/0. I plan to do my best with that, but I have brushes that are too large and brushes that are too small, so it should be fun.

On a related side note, I decided to pick up some W&N Series 7 brushes. Got them from the Canadian supplier Opus Art Supplies. Their shipping is a bit more than I'd want, but their customer support support was excellent.

• Like 2

It just struck me that these kits are kind of like graded studies. I play classical guitar and there are certain pieces (called graded studies!) that a guitarist can play for any other guitarist to show their skill level. Not only are they instructional, but it's a good quick barometer for a more advanced guitarist to hear what a student needs to focus on to become better.

I am so close to being convinced to get one of these. Yes, I understand the incredible value of paint and brushes, etc. and the instructions would be most helpful (I'm going to be so lost the first time I try to do flesh on a female mini), I will admit it...I'm intimidated by the fact that the minis will be metal.

All my learning so far has been on Bones, and I like that the flash is easy to clean from them, and that priming isn't necessary, and that they are resilient enough to use for gaming without having to worry about dings and dents. I'm right there with the people who would probably buy all five in one sitting the instant they become available in Bones. I guess I'm just trepidatious about all the unknowns that I'll have to deal with when faced with metal minis, especially since I'm right at the beginning of my painting journey and have so very much still to learn. :)

So...I guess I'm looking to be infected, lol.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 4

I guess it's all about perspective. I personally love Bones, but I think metal minis are easier to prep. I realize a lot of this is personal preference. I own all 5 ltpk, and the first 3 I bought were still the old style with the sample pots. I still don't regret the expenditure.

I grew up with metal (lead, mostly) minis, so I was quite comfortable with them. On the other hand, I am not a fan of Bones clean-up, though I have been reading here to get tips to make that better. Metal is pretty resilient, both files and knife work good, but it also does require a bit of care as you'll need more force than with plastic.

Obviously I'm a big fan of the kits :) They got me back up to speed after a 13 year hiatus and got me into NMM, which I was desperate to learn as I dislike metallic paints from a consistency viewpoint. The models are all well-chosen for the goal of each kit, as well. Starting with someone as detailed as Dain would be daunting, but after working through the kits, you're pretty much ready for him by kit 5.

All my learning so far has been on Bones, and I like that the flash is easy to clean from them, and that priming isn't necessary, and that they are resilient enough to use for gaming without having to worry about dings and dents.

I also started out with Bones and only recently painted a metal mini. From my perspective, as long as no gluing or pinning is required (which is the case for most of the LTPKs), metal minis are actually a little easier to prepare. Files/knives work great for cleaning up metal flash, whereas on Bones the material really fights back. I haven't been happy with any of my cleanup jobs on Bones so far.

Priming is easy (if you just use the brush on kind in the kit, it's just like painting a base coat on Bones, and while painting it on, you can get a feel for the ins and outs of the model). I found it much smoother to paint over a primered metal model than on to a Bones model. Bones do take paint without primer nicely, but it really works best with a relatively thick base coat, and it was a different experience to be able to start off nice and thin.

It's worth painting a metal or two just so you know how to compare and contrast the materials, and will help you understand where people are coming from when they talk about the differences. I enjoyed the metal enough I'm likely to buy metal human sized figures in the future, and save Bones for the larger monster/creatures, where I feel the material's upsides vastly outweigh the downsides.

Edit: I should add that currently I don't game with my minis; they're just painted for the enjoyment of painting and/or display, so the durability issues are a minor concern for me currently. However, I did notice paint is much easier to scrape off of metal, even with a good layer of primer (at least before a sealant coat).

Edited by Slashhamster
  • Like 1