Learn to Paint Kits (L2PK)

CashWiley

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What are people's suggestions with regards to trying things outside the instructions during the l2pks? Reading the forums there is so much great advice and techniques that look useful such as lining, I guess I'm just wondering if it is better as a newbie to be a complete purist and follow instructions exactly to learn the right way first.

Also, if anyone could list the ingredients in Simply Green (or whatever the mini cleaning fluid is) so I can find something similar, that would be grand. Just in case I need to clean some minis...

• Like 1

What are people's suggestions with regards to trying things outside the instructions during the l2pks? Reading the forums there is so much great advice and techniques that look useful such as lining, I guess I'm just wondering if it is better as a newbie to be a complete purist and follow instructions exactly to learn the right way first.

Also, if anyone could list the ingredients in Simply Green (or whatever the mini cleaning fluid is) so I can find something similar, that would be grand. Just in case I need to clean some minis...

No need to be 'pure' with the figures at all - although, that being said, it is a logical progression in terms of learning and applying those lessons.

I'm 99.9% sure we can get Simple Green here in NZ. Unless I'm much mistaken, this is the stuff.

• Like 1

While I did have some experience from the early-mid 90s, it was straight kit 1 experience (drybrush/wash). I had painted two minis in 2012 before I bought the kits, so I had learned basic blending and layering the hard way, and I was pretty frustrated by the time I finished the Bones ogre chieftain. I say this by way of pointing out where I was when I started the kits.

I tried to follow the instructions to the letter. I did have enough knowledge of paint consistency to fudge the ratios a bit if things were too thick or thin...and I did use my WNS7 #2 brush instead of the included brushes. Everything else was by the book.

There is a lot of flexibility in the later kits, where they mainly focus on a couple things and let you pull on your skills from previous kits, so I also tried to stay with the spirit of that, using the green recipe from kit 2 for the barbarian in kit 4, etc.

I would recommend, if you're a newbie, doing LTPKs 1 and 2 by slavishly following the instructions and thinking through what you're doing. The later kits have a lot more leeway outside what they're specifically trying to teach you, and you can use more creativity in completing them as you'd like.

I would recommend, if you're a newbie, doing LTPKs 1 and 2 by slavishly following the instructions and thinking through what you're doing. The later kits have a lot more leeway outside what they're specifically trying to teach you, and you can use more creativity in completing them as you'd like.

I will say that it feels as though its ok to go a bit out of order on Kit 1 (can't get #2 yet) but still I feel its important for me, as a complete newb, to otherwise follow the instructions. Mainly I've only gone out of order so as to enable me to use all of the same color washes at the same time etc., as opposed to having to mix the same wash up a few times.

• Like 2

Does anyone know what's happening with the L2PK 2? I can't find it for sale anywhere :(

Reaper has been having issues with brushes thanks to the recent weasel-butt fur importation crisis, so they haven't been restocking the kits lately. I'm not sure why 2 has been so disproportionately struck, except that it is an excellent starter kit so people may have bought it preferential to 1 when the Kickstarter spurred them back into painting.r

2 was out when I first bought the kits, but this was before the weasel butt-fur crisis and Reaperbryan was quick to put a bunch in stock when I whined about it.

So as a complete newbie here, I've gone through LTPK1 (mostly, still need to finish touching up my Anhurian) and of course would love to now order LTPK2. Obviously, that's not happening right now. So my question is, how much over my head would LTPK4 be at this point? The idea here being I'd like to learn some techniques plus the influx of new paints would be very economical (still saving up to get a decent order of paints at once).

I don't think LTPK4 would be over your head. You know the basics from LTPK1 and even though you don't know the LTPK2, you are only technically "skipping" one in the order of how they should be followed since most people say the order is 1, 2, 4, 5, 3. Remember you also get instructions with each of these kits so you should be more than fine, if you have specific questions about how to do something the people on the boards are more than happy to offer you advice.

TLDR: Go get kit 4