Learn to Paint Kits (L2PK)

CashWiley

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First, I am no accountant or business person. Just sayin'....

I think the cost of adding a DVD will increase the price of the L2PK's, but I don't think it will be incredibly much more. The problem with stand-alone DVD instructions is that's all you're offering to cover the cost of the DVD. In a L2PK, there are other cost factors (mini's, paints, brushes) the profit of which will help subsidize the cost of a DVD. That is also not to mention the cost of creating DVD's has gone down (from the equipment necessary to the skill involved; I could make a decent-quality DVD on my home computer w/ a decent camera, I'm sure Kit could do better).

In a nutshell, I'd love to get some L2PK's with video of some sort (maybe a thumbdrive w/ videos? Which is cheaper, a thumbdrive w/vid or the final production cost of a DVD?)

-DD

I think the cost of adding a DVD will increase the price of the L2PK's, but I don't think it will be incredibly much more. The problem with stand-alone DVD instructions is that's all you're offering to cover the cost of the DVD. In a L2PK, there are other cost factors (mini's, paints, brushes) the profit of which will help subsidize the cost of a DVD. That is also not to mention the cost of creating DVD's has gone down (from the equipment necessary to the skill involved; I could make a decent-quality DVD on my home computer w/ a decent camera, I'm sure Kit could do better).

In a nutshell, I'd love to get some L2PK's with video of some sort (maybe a thumbdrive w/ videos? Which is cheaper, a thumbdrive w/vid or the final production cost of a DVD?)

-DD

According to the pre-order prices the "Bare Bones—Learn to Paint Kit: Fur & Armor" will be $25 and the "Bare Bones—Learn to Paint Kit: Fur & Armor Deluxe" will be $50.

Its probably a safe guess that the deluxe version will have the video while the standard won't. As of yet there is no information on if/what other differences there will be between the two versions. (DVDs are still much cheaper than thumb drives. Download codes probably win for lowest cost though.)

-DD

According to the pre-order prices the "Bare Bones—Learn to Paint Kit: Fur & Armor" will be $25 and the "Bare Bones—Learn to Paint Kit: Fur & Armor Deluxe" will be $50.

Its probably a safe guess that the deluxe version will have the video while the standard won't. As of yet there is no information on if/what other differences there will be between the two versions. (DVDs are still much cheaper than thumb drives. Download codes probably win for lowest cost though.)

Reaper hasn't even officially announced Bones LTPKs, let alone prices. Do not give money to anyone taking "preorders" as you may very well never receive your product.

I opted not to wait to jump on the LTPK, for a few reasons.

- The kits are a fantastic deal. They are worth it for the paints alone - so it's like discount paints + free brushes, two metal minis and instructions.

- I wanted to learn some basics before the bones show up.

- I don't really see the point in learning on bones to paint bones. Once the prep and priming are done it should be basically the same as metal.

- The kits lately have been coming with 11 full bottles of paint (!). I don't think there is an official explanation for it, but it has been speculated that they ran out of the sample sized paints and had to include the larger ones. If that really is the case I would expect them to scale back for the new ones (or at least raise the price - as seems to be the case).

But I'm happy to be pleasantly surprised by the new bones (it wouldn't be the first time). If the new kits are as good as the old ones I might grab one or two.

I opted not to wait to jump on the LTPK, for a few reasons.

- The kits are a fantastic deal. They are worth it for the paints alone - so it's like discount paints + free brushes, two metal minis and instructions.

- I wanted to learn some basics before the bones show up.

- I don't really see the point in learning on bones to paint bones. Once the prep and priming are done it should be basically the same as metal.

- The kits lately have been coming with 11 full bottles of paint (!). I don't think there is an official explanation for it, but it has been speculated that they ran out of the sample sized paints and had to include the larger ones. If that really is the case I would expect them to scale back for the new ones (or at least raise the price - as seems to be the case).

But I'm happy to be pleasantly surprised by the new bones (it wouldn't be the first time). If the new kits are as good as the old ones I might grab one or two.

I think it's that the sample sized pots were too much trouble. If I understand right, they were seriously prone to drying out on the shelf.

• Like 1

Well Cash, you have convinced me. After reading over this topic, and all of the L2PK1 topic, seeing the progress everyone made, and the value that this kit holds, I've now ordered 1 & 2. I look forward to getting them and doing some WIP to put into the L2PK1 topic!

• Like 7

I mean this in the nicest sense, but... pause/rewind/fast-forward?

I understand that some people may not be able to maintain their train of thought in that instance, but that's what I would do.

-Dave

With my current setup, I'd have to watch the DVD's on a desktop or laptop computer, neither of which has a remote. The laptop may be easy enough to manipulate, but the desktop would not be suited for this. I feel as if my concentration would be split too much switching between a screen and painting a figure as opposed to a pamphlet on the table.

Of course, I admit I may be over thinking things and DVDs could be a better way to learn, but darnit, I learned with a pamphlet so that's exactly how everyone has to learn!